Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting my hair cut short tomorrow

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Do you have any input on how short would look good on me? And after I get it cut what types of styling I could do? I normally do a pincurl set everynight. My favorite decades are 30s-50s, with a smattering of Clara Bow type 20s and some early 60s thrown in. I especially love the 30s hair. Would I need to find wave clips? (Still not sure what exactly they are though?) What';s the difference between fingerwaving and pincurling?

Here's a few pictures of me, the one on the bottom left is my most recent hair length:
85186579.png

Oh yes, the picture on the bottom right is from nearly two years ago at the shortest I've had it when I used to straighten it. ;)

And some pictures of the cuts I like:
39033624.png

I understand that the hair would need to be cut a little bit longer, due to the curl making it shorter. Do you think jaw/chin length would be okay?
I do have an oval shaped face, however, I have kind of chubby cheecks which are the bane of my existence. Would that change anything?
Perhaps long hair does look better on me, however, I have my heart set on trying it short. And as it grows nearly an inch a month (I've measured) it wouldn't take too long to grow out again. :)

Last edited:

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
You look gorgeous in all your photos :D If I had to pick one style that I thought really suited you, I'd say the top right, personally- it looks so cute, especially with your glasses! And it looks like that'd be a good length to achieve the styles you like. I'm definitely not the most knowlegeable member here, but it looks as though you could wave it or set in tighter curls for a 20s/30s look, or have it in softer waves or bigger curls for a more 40s/50s look.

Your long hair does look lovely (how do you manage those waves?), but if you're asking my personal opinion I'd go for the shorter cuts, top right especially! :D

dimples

New in Town
I love that picture of the lady in green with the beautiful red hair. makes me want to get to the hairdressers immediately.

And Kiri - your hair is absolutely stunning. love the wave and I think you have a beautiful shaped face.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Kiri I think a 30's style bob would look great on you. For styling try the finger waves and I don't think special clips are necessary. I have have seen lots of tutorials with duckbill clips and that new styling book by Belinda Hay shows you how to finger wave with pin curl clips and Dead Pan Diva posted pictures a bit ago of some nice waved she created with bobby pins. I have used the duck bill clips myself once with setting lotion once with out and the setting lotion time was successful the time with out was not. Anyway good luck I think you will look cute what ever you decide to do.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Frenchy56 - Thank you! Actually with the long hair waves, I'd cheat and just do one or two big pincurls on each side. Gives you a rather Veronica Lake look. ;)

dimples - I know, I think that's what started my obsession with short curly and red hair. ;) I believe she actually is or wwas a fellow lounger. I think I had saved it for inspiration from a post on the lounger before I had even joined. What I wouldn't give for lovely fair skin so I could pull of red hair! :p

Land-O-LakesGal - Thank you very much. That's very helpful, I'll see if I can find Dead Pan Diva's post. :D

rue - Thanks Rue! I think it's Ingrid Bergman. I love that picture of her, I wish it was bigger.

I just wish I knew what length to cut it so that when it was curled it would give those effects. So would jaw/chin length work for the majority do you think?

dimples

New in Town
I gave myself a middi using c-dots tutorial and, if I had done it a little shorter in the back, I think it would have done the trick for this type of hairstyle. But again does depend on the styling technique.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
About 6 wks ago out of my grieving over the loss of my father, I went into a supercuts and nearly pulled a Brittney Spears :eeek: close enough although no head shaving I did tell the gal to cut my layers short. I have naturally fairly thick wavy hair... i wound up with toooo short on the top and the sides by my ears are very, very, sparse :eusa_doh: I was not thinking straight at the time and now my hair looks more 80s than anything! I am miserable and it feels like my hair is taking forEVER to grow back out :hurt:

dimples

New in Town
Shopgirl- I am sorry to hear about your father.
Flowers and pretty grips will probably be your saviours but I am sure your hair will grow back quicker than you think.

lareine

A-List Customer
I know it's not what you're asking about but I love it straight! I think it looks beautiful and really sets off your face. Straight would be my choice out of all the options :)

Kiri

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm growing it out again if anyone was wondering. I'm too lazy to have it short. Where when it was long I could to a big pincurl on each side and end up with nice waves. Isn't it great that hair grows, for those people who can't make up their minds? :)

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I think you looked great with your bob! Not that I want to put you off growing it or anything :)
I'm trying to grow my hair out too, after I got a bit too enthusiastic with the scissors... it's too short to do victory rolls successfully which is really annoying!

SheBear74

Practically Family
Your one of those lucky girls who look great long or short :) Mine is finally long enough to to Victory rolls, or to just really style it in many different ways. I need a couple more inches till I hit my shoulders, but no more short dos for me! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo