Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting my US Authentic A-2-ADVICE ON DETAILS

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
Hey guys.

As some of you know, after reworking budget issues and such I am finally able to get the US Authentic A-2 Jacket. It seems like a GREAT alternative to the much cheaper US Wings jackets, which I was planning on getting because of my budget. I soon realized that some of these jackets are civilian and not what I wanted.

As of now, I am headed for the US Authentic A-2. I am EXTREMELY excited about it. I have a few questions however.

What type of leather should I order it in? (I am leaning heavily towards the "Goatskin Medium Brown)
What would happen to the Goatskin after long use?
Weren't the majority of A-2 Jackets in the USAAF in WWII Goatskin (medium brown)? I want to get the jacket as historically accurate as I can.

These jackets have NO side-entry hand-warmer pockets like the original USAAF WWII A-2s, right?

I am THINKING about getting the AAF HQ patch on the jacket, which is offered as an embroidered patch or hand painted. Should I go for it or leave the jacket be? If I do, should I get embroidery or hand painted?

The fit is also something I want to talk about, but I would prefer I talk about it later, as I have to get a current jacket measurement. I want this jacket to last me so I should I order it a size larger?

So, just give me anything on the US Authentic A-2 that you have to say. (pictures, stories, fit, advice, etc)

Fiver64

Practically Family
answers

I have HH A-2 from US Authentic.........love it. Originals were found in HH, goat and even a few documented steerhide. Goat is (IMHO) usually a good choice beacuse it has a comfortable "hang" so it conforms to your body curves well, and is very tough wearing. Goat will last longer than you will, if properly maintained. HH is nice too, bit requires longer break-in and can be a bit stiffer during a longer break-in......... plus it usually costs about $100 more.

Both the patch and the decal are authentic, but personally, I think the decal ages better as the jacket ages. If you want to see a nice original decal look at both Steve McQueen's jacket in "The Great Escape" and also Col. Hogan's jacket from "Hogan's Heroes." I would avoid a nametag unless you are sure you will never sell the jacket.

You have to be careful when saying that you want as "authentic as possible" on the FL! Lots of experienced buyers here, and tons of advice. You know what you can spend, so I assume you want as authentic as possible within your budget. In my opinion, US Authentic is a reasonable choice, although not EXACT. But again, 99% of folks will never know it. The side entry pockets are NOT correct.

I found that I needed to order 1 size larger to get proper fit, but let them know your sizes and they will work with you. Best of luck and enjoy!!!

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
The side entry pockets are NOT correct

So they do have side entry? Are they noticeable?

I really don't know whether to get the AAF HQ on my jacket. Would it make my jacket more authentic to the USAAF in WWII, or possibly detract from it? I've seen TONS of jackets in WWII USAAF pictures without the AAF HQ on it so I'm really having a hard time debating.

RLM

Familiar Face
US Authentic's A-2s have no side entry pockets unless you special order one that way. Horse and goat are both correct hides for the A-2, though the original contracts specified horse. Russet and Seal brown were the original colors. Actual color varied slightly from maker to maker and dye lot to dye lot, and many jackets were resprayed with Seal Brown when they were turned in for repair or reissue, so its not a far stretch of the imagination to think that the color US Authentic calls medium brown would have shown up on more than a few jackets. Either the patch or the stencil would be correct, but it would also be just as correct to have none at all. The collar is pretty stiff and stays popped up just fine. I wore a 44R in a suit jacket when I bought mine and ordered a 44R A-2. Fit was just about perfect, until I lost almost 20 pounds. Now its a little large through the shoulders and chest, but I'm still a little larger than the old 42R suit jacket I have, so I'll make do.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Why do you want to buy this jackt?

I would recommend that you save your money and avoid this jacket as its an inferior repro. All the WW2 jackets US Authentic sell are not authentic but modern representations of wartime jackets. Their Irvin is just a joke. You would be better off buying a second hand Eastman or Good Wear A2 on Ebay or saving up for a new Good Wear A2. Each to his own I guess.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
aswatland said:
I would recommend that you save your money and avoid this jacket as its an inferior repro. All the WW2 jackets US Authentic sell are not authentic but modern representations of wartime jackets. Their Irvin is just a joke. You would be better off buying a second hand Eastman or Good Wear A2 on Ebay or saving up for a new Good Wear A2. Each to his own I guess.

With all due respect, when's the last time you saw a Good Wear come up on eBay?
Also, I don't see anything wrong with the US Authentic jackets if all you want is a quality made jacket at a reasonable price, and don't care about it being 100% authentic. (holy run on sentence Bat Man):)
Lenny

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OneEyeMan said:
With all due respect, when's the last time you saw a Good Wear come up on eBay?
Also, I don't see anything wrong with the US Authentic jackets if all you want is a quality made jacket at a reasonable price, and don't care about it being 100% authentic. (holy run on sentence Bat Man):)
Lenny

There is currently a Star Good Wear on Ebay. They come up most weeks. US Authentic jackets are not particularly cheap and many people who buy them soon re-sell for a better repro. However if you want an A2 style jacket and are not bothered about historical accuracy perhaps this is the jacket for you. lol

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I'm really gonna go for this jacket. I mean, it IS authentic and within my price range. It looks great and VERY similar to WWII USAAF A-2s. Besides, I don't have more than the money I'm willing to spend on this jacket to go for other far more expensive repros. After hearing the GREAT advice Fiver64 has given me, I really am going for this jacket.

Anyway, I really need the questions about the AAF HQ Patch answered. Sorry to be demanding, in that respect. It's only that I can't come to a conclusion about whether or not to spend the extra cash. I just don't know, I'm depending you guys.

TarHeel1911

New in Town
I've got a US Authentic goatskin A-2, and I really like it. It's far superior to the US Wings jacket I bought and returned. US Authentic has an online form where you enter a number of measurements (they tell you where/how to measure), and submit your sizing questions. This typically gets you pretty close.

For comfort and practicality I'd go with goatskin over horse or steerhide-it "drapes" better and looks great from day one.

Are these as nice as a Good Wear? No-but they are nice jackets which will serve you well for a long time.
Good Luck.

RLM

Familiar Face
aswatland said:

Yes, the US Authentic is sort of a conglomeration of A-2 features from many contracts and not a 100% true replica but, per an earlier thread, Ace has already stretched from a US Wings A-2 that was within his budget to the US Authentic, which is considerably more. As an intro A-2, I think its a pretty good choice. If he catches the A-2 fever and wants to upgrade later to something more authentic, that's great. I'm happy with my US Authentic, but can relate to your statement about owners upgrading to a ELC, Aero, GW, etc. That idea has crossed my mind as well.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
US Authentic

The US Authentic is a tough, hard-wearing jacket. Don't know what size you are, but I have one I am thinking of selling. It's a 40, russet horsehide, and cut (in my opinion) long. Interested? Let me know.

Peacoat

Bartender
USAAFAcePilot said:
AAF HQ Patch? (sorry fellas, still debatin')

You asked for opinions: I would leave it off. If I didn't serve in the unit, or earn the award or the badge, I don't wear it. I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you aren't pretending to be something you are not, and there are a lot of big time pretenders out there.

Obviously you wouldn't be pretending to have been in the Army back then, so there isn't anything wrong with it, in my opinion. We have had this discussion in the past, so let's not get off into that again. I am only expressing my opinion, others feel differently, and I respect that.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
I feel the same.

I feel the same.
Hey, Peacoat, did you change your quote in your sig.? It reads more pessimistic than before...:(

sixties.nut

Just a thought

USAAFAcePilot, that AAF patch is a sharp and widely recognized patch. I like it a lot. I am looking at making my first jacket purchase right about now too. So on top of trying to determine the best made coat in my spending area I'm having to add the cost of the patches too.

I'm tracking down patches of units I personally was attached to and it's proving to be a chore. I evidently was station at most of the desolate places they could find or so it seems by the availability of these patches!

The place you are looking towards getting your coat has hand painted leather patches and they would make your jacket more rugged/authentic (per the era) looking from what it appears to me online.

It might be a good idea to first just get the coat and make sure your happy with it and then when your sure your good to go order your patch or send in the jacket for a decal application if thats what you desire? Could save you some headache and money too.

I am looking at spending about the same amount as you are according to the prices listed at their site. That being said, I noticed that a comparable jacket at gibson-barnes is available for about the same amount. I cannot attest to the quality of either product as I have never seen one from either vendor yet.

I will have a new CWU-45/P jacket military issued type in my hands on Monday if they have my size in stock. But this is apples/oranges and I'll need to watch this conversation on how you make out with your new A-2. Best of Luck in your choice keep us updated.

Best Regards,
Mike

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
The thing is...I think I forgot to mention it, is that the AAF HQ patch could be hand painted, as opposed to embroidery.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

USAAFAcePilot

One of the Regulars
I just want the jacket to be as faithful and historical to the original, and, if it means getting the AAF HQ sewn or painted or not, then I will do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran