Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the "I don't know what a bash is" comment from a hat shop?

carter

I'll Lock Up
I Wanna Bash the Hat....

I have attached some [perhaps too many] definitions of the word Bash.

bash, noun, a dent, a heavy blow, a vigorous blow, Slang A celebration; a party

bash, verb, (bashed, bash¬?ing, bash¬?es)
(sometimes with in) to beat or smash (in), hit hard [syn: sock], to strike with a heavy, crushing blow, to beat or assault severely, Informal To criticize harshly, accusatorially, and threateningly.

One thing we should address is; "What did hatters and/or haberdashers say to customers who bought [mostly] open crown hats and inquired about shaping their purchase(s) to their liking?"

My guess is that they could have told the customer to dent it or strike a couple or three blows to the crown. sides, etc. In other words, to BASH the hat. :D

They may have even instructed them to beat the brim and crown until they achieved the desired result. In other words, to BASH the hat :D

Failing in this, they may have instructed the customer to use some verbal abuse in order to shame the hat into cooperating with it's new owner. In other words, to BASH the hat :D

Once said hat was beaten into submission, there would have been a loud social gathering, a celebration, a BASH! :D

There is at least circumstantial evidence that some hatter or haberdasher could have used the word BASH at some point in history. :eek: :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
One doesn't need a professional to 'bash' one's hat for a price - just do it yourself. No professional equipment required. Want to steam it to hold it's shape? It's called a tea kettle.

Shhhh... Don't say that too loud. There are actually some around here who take issue with such statements. :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
J.T.Marcus said:
Shhhh... Don't say that too loud. There are actually some around here who take issue with such statements. :D

Huh? I don't think I've ever seen anyone object to people creasing or changing the crease in their hats themselves anywhere in the Lounge. [huh] It's considered a time-honored practice. I have seen comments suggesting that more radical changes or refurbishments might best be left to the pros if you want to minimize the risk to the hat. But when it comes to bashing a hat I doubt there's a soul here that would suggest it should only be done professionally.

Cheers,
Tom

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
I have attached some [perhaps too many] definitions of the word Bash.

bash, noun, a dent, a heavy blow, a vigorous blow, Slang A celebration; a party

bash, verb, (bashed, bash¬?ing, bash¬?es)
(sometimes with in) to beat or smash (in), hit hard [syn: sock], to strike with a heavy, crushing blow, to beat or assault severely, Informal To criticize harshly, accusatorially, and threateningly.

One thing we should address is; "What did hatters and/or haberdashers say to customers who bought [mostly] open crown hats and inquired about shaping their purchase(s) to their liking?"

My guess is that they could have told the customer to dent it or strike a couple or three blows to the crown. sides, etc. In other words, to BASH the hat. :D

They may have even instructed them to beat the brim and crown until they achieved the desired result. In other words, to BASH the hat :D

Failing in this, they may have instructed the customer to use some verbal abuse in order to shame the hat into cooperating with it's new owner. In other words, to BASH the hat :D

Once said hat was beaten into submission, there would have been a loud social gathering, a celebration, a BASH! :D

There is at least circumstantial evidence that some hatter or haberdasher could have used the word BASH at some point in history. :eek: :D

Well you certainly aren't bashful about defining bash for us! Thanks!
-dixon cannon

I65Stang

New in Town
After getting my Sydney's bash to where I like it, I am so glad I just followed everyones advice and did it myself :). I wore it around San Francisco last weekend at a conference I was at and got a lot of compliments. It is funny how many people just look at you when you are wearing a fedora lol.

Tim

Spellflower

Practically Family
See? That wasn't so bad now, was it. ;)

Glad we were able to talk you out of throwing your money away. How about some pics of the final bash?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW