Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting the "I don't know what a bash is" comment from a hat shop?

I65Stang

New in Town
While I know a "bash" is not a technical term, I knew what it meant even before I really got interested in fedoras and it is something that is thrown around everywhere I have looked (the local hat shop that doesn't claim to be full service used the terminology too).

So my Akubra Sydney came in today :D and while the place I ordered it from put a preliminary bash/shape to it, I thought I would take it to a place to get one professional done by a "full service" hat shop with my head in mind. The shop I called doesn't carry the Sydney and didn't seem to have any fedora's in size 8 (at least online they didn't) otherwise I probably would have gotten it from them. My wife called to ask if it was something they can do while we waited since we would driving through town and about how much it would cost and the guy said he would have to see it to be sure. My wife tried to explain that it was brand new and was open crowned until yesterday (shipped overnight) but he still said he would have to see it. I called him back to ask if I should remove the "bash" tonight before I brought it tomorrow and he got stuck on saying he didnt know what a "bash" was to which I said it is the shape or crease and then he said he would have to see it and was very short with me :eusa_doh: .

Up until that point I was all for paying the guy to do something I can do myself, now I will just do it using the great sticky post on the forums here :). If they had another fedora and a panama in my size I probably would have bought them while I waited for them to bash/shape this one. Oh well, I have already decided my next will be an Art and will just get a panama from Panamabob :).

Time to go bash the Sydney. I've heard it doesnt like to keep a bash so think once I get it done I will steam it per what I have read here (is that right).

Thanks all! I figured you all could relate and not look at me funny lol

Tim

dostacos

Practically Family
I65Stang said:
While I know a "bash" is not a technical term, I knew what it meant even before I really got interested in fedoras and it is something that is thrown around everywhere I have looked (the local hat shop that doesn't claim to be full service used the terminology too).

So my Akubra Sydney came in today :D and while the place I ordered it from put a preliminary bash/shape to it, I thought I would take it to a place to get one professional done by a "full service" hat shop with my head in mind. The shop I called doesn't carry the Sydney and didn't seem to have any fedora's in size 8 (at least online they didn't) otherwise I probably would have gotten it from them. My wife called to ask if it was something they can do while we waited since we would driving through town and about how much it would cost and the guy said he would have to see it to be sure. My wife tried to explain that it was brand new and was open crowned until yesterday (shipped overnight) but he still said he would have to see it. I called him back to ask if I should remove the "bash" tonight before I brought it tomorrow and he got stuck on saying he didnt know what a "bash" was to which I said it is the shape or crease and then he said he would have to see it and was very short with me :eusa_doh: .

Up until that point I was all for paying the guy to do something I can do myself, now I will just do it using the great sticky post on the forums here :). If they had another fedora and a panama in my size I probably would have bought them while I waited for them to bash/shape this one. Oh well, I have already decided my next will be an Art and will just get a panama from Panamabob :).

Time to go bash the Sydney. I've heard it doesnt like to keep a bash so think once I get it done I will steam it per what I have read here (is that right).

Thanks all! I figured you all could relate and not look at me funny lol

Tim
there have been other threads about "bashing" a hat, most, IIRC, agree it is not a term from hatters, so blaming a hatter for not using the term[huh]

I look at the term to describe the entire process, top dent, front dents and shape of the brim.

of course my opinion and 89 cents will get you a large coffee from 7/11.....if you bring your own cup

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations on the new hat, although I notice a dearth of pictures...

Sorry for the response from the guy at the hat shop. I'd be surprised if they had so much business that they could brush somebody off, but apparently they do. I'm not the world's best at bashing myself, but have fun with it. Your Akubra can handle it.

I65Stang

New in Town
dostacos said:
there have been other threads about "bashing" a hat, most, IIRC, agree it is not a term from hatters, so blaming a hatter for not using the term[huh]

I look at the term to describe the entire process, top dent, front dents and shape of the brim.

of course my opinion and 89 cents will get you a large coffee from 7/11.....if you bring your own cup

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming him for not using the term but rather when I tried to even explain what I meant (his answer was "I dont know what a "bash" is") he just cut me off saying the same thing again.

I65Stang

New in Town
AlanC said:
Congratulations on the new hat, although I notice a dearth of pictures...

Sorry for the response from the guy at the hat shop. I'd be surprised if they had so much business that they could brush somebody off, but apparently they do. I'm not the world's best at bashing myself, but have fun with it. Your Akubra can handle it.

Thanks Alan! I will try and take some pictures tonight and post them. Their idea of charcoal is more black than I was expecting but to me thats a good thing lol .

Boris K

One of the Regulars

I also just heard "crease" except at the Lounge.

Maybe the guy was having a bad day. Good luck on the bas.... uhhh crease ;)

I65Stang

New in Town
Bebop said:
Just out of curiosity, how much does a hat store charge for bashing a hat that practically bashes itself, like the Sydney?

He said between $10-20.

Funny you say that. Seems like no matter what I do it ends up looking like this lol. Not sure what you would call that.

hat4.jpg

Spellflower

Practically Family
There was some talk a few weeks ago about the etymology of the word "bash" in this context, and I believe the consensu was that it originated fairly recently on COW (Vintage Betty may have to correct that, though.)

As for paying to have it done, unless you're missing fingers, I say: don't. It's really an easy thing to do, and you'll do a better job fitting it to your head than anyone else. How many times have you been unhappy with a haircut from a professional? This is like that, except that it's a lot easier to undo. Just keep at it till it works for you.

I know a lot of stuff here says to use steam, but I've found warm water works just as well, and I know some believe repeated steaming can cause taper. Sinced my Federation has been steamed a lot and is now tapered, I'm inclined to agree. If anyone else has opinions, please share.

Oh yeah, the Sydney should hold it's shape just fine if you use moisture. Without moisture, It doesn't really hold at all.

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I65Stang said:
...and didn't seem to have any fedora's in size 8

Tim...can it be true..:eek: ...another fellow buckethead, and in Nor Cal? We are few, but mighty. Mebbe I should start a thread for all of us size 8 and ups to proudly show our lids! :D

I65Stang

New in Town
Vintage Betty said:
Hmmmm....

I've heard "bash" for over 25 years. Boy, I'm old. :eusa_doh:

Vintage Betty

When I asked my grandpa if he ever wore a fedora (which he still does sometimes and did growing up as a kid in NYC) he used the word "bash" too.

I65Stang

New in Town
big kahuna said:
Tim...can it be true..:eek: ...another fellow buckethead, and in Nor Cal? We are few, but mighty. Mebbe I should start a thread for all of us size 8 and ups to proudly show our lids! :D

Haha, yup, another buckethead. When I went into The Village Hat Shop (not the shop I called earlier) in town a few weeks ago the very nice sales person told me I was the first person who came into the shop saying they had a big head to actually have a big head. They had nothing to fit me lol.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I65Stang said:
Haha, yup, another buckethead. When I went into The Village Hat Shop (not the shop I called earlier) in town a few weeks ago the very nice sales person told me I was the first person who came into the shop saying they had a big head to actually have a big head. They had nothing to fit me lol.
I feel your pain. I have a hard time finding hats that fit me in my local shops, and I'm only a "pumpkin head" (7 5/8 to 7 3/4 depending on the hat). While on the subject of 8-plus hats, I have an RCAF Warrant Officer's hat in 8 1/8 in my collection of militaria. Until I got that, I had never seen any hat above 7 3/4, anywhere!

Dixon Cannon

A 'crease' is in your trousers...

.. a 'bash' is in your hat.

Ever watch those old movies where everyone wears a fedora? Remember seeing guys holding there hat in one hand while giving the crown a gentle 'karate chop' with the other?.. usually mindlessly or while in conversation, prior to donning their hat? Well that is a 'bash' and the dent in the crown that's left is the 'bash'. It's that simple.

One doesn't need a professional to 'bash' one's hat for a price - just do it yourself. No professional equipment required. Want to steam it to hold it's shape? It's called a tea kettle.

There. Settled. Now go forth and wear your 'bashed' hat with pride, confidence and aplomb. ;)

-dixon cannon

FlapJack

New in Town
Good choice of hat. I've owned 3 Akubra's, they're great. I wouldn't suggest using warm or hot water to shape it, though. I've used it before, and I could almost watch the hat tapering before my eyes. Cold water works better. If you're going to use steam, make sure the hat is a good distance away from the spout of the kettle. It should hold it's shape just fine without any help, though, so try that first. I find I can usually "pinch" the felt into shape with Akubra's.

Dixon Cannon

Wow!

scotrace said:

What a 'bashing'! You 'basherd'*! Bartender, another drink before a go home and take my 'bash' and put myself to bed. I've been a 'bash ash' boy!
G'night (ya 'crease'!)

(*'basherd': one who bashes those who bash the bash in their Borso fed. A 'floungerism*')
(*'floungerism': something we made up on the lounge to confuse ourselves)

[all in good fun!] ;)

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW