Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts, Time Travel, and Space / Inter-dimensional Neural Communication...

In my late teens in the military,
the constant fear of dying or as GHT pointed out, the unknown.

The realization that there was humans out there trying their best to end me.
And that I was there for the same purpose.

Nowadays, my concern is that there won’t be any tennis courts in Heaven.

Or...if there are tennis courts, but no tennis balls...

now that would be hell.

Very Twilight Zone, as in Burgess Meredith having all his books, all the time to read and he breaks his glasses, uh, tennis balls.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Very Twilight Zone, as in Burgess Meredith having all his books, all the time to read and he breaks his glasses, uh, tennis balls.

The only reason you & everyone exists is because
of this dream I’m having.

So enjoy your slice of pizza while you can!

The moment I wake up, you will be gone,

faster than a speeding bullet. :p

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You are not the one dreaming this up TT. It's me. I knew I shouldn't have ate that brat so late last night...:D;)

rlfb4z.png

Everyone....please be very quiet ! :rolleyes:

Aaaaand like that....we have entered into the realm of metaphysics. How DO we know that what we are experiencing is real? How do I know that any of you are real people out there in cyberspace, or something entirely made up by this so called 'smart' phone in my hand, much less how do I even know that I'm actually holding and interacting with said object. Perhaps I'm dead already, or never existed at all in any physical form and ALL of this is simply a dream from wich I will one day awake, only to fall asleep and dream a whole other life the next time? How do any of you know that the rest of us are real, especially those of us you've never physically met, or are we a part of some elaborate experiment or ruse being played on you? A figment of your subconscious? How do you justify your belief in the things you seemingly KNOW are real, but in reality merely take for granted?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Aaaaand like that....we have entered into the realm of metaphysics. How DO we know that what we are experiencing is real? How do I know that any of you are real people out there in cyberspace, or something entirely made up by this so called 'smart' phone in my hand, much less how do I even know that I'm actually holding and interacting with said object. Perhaps I'm dead already, or never existed at all in any physical form and ALL of this is simply a dream from wich I will one day awake, only to fall asleep and dream a whole other life the next time? How do any of you know that the rest of us are real, especially those of us you've never physically met, or are we a part of some elaborate experiment or ruse being played on you? A figment of your subconscious? How do you justify your belief in the things you seemingly KNOW are real, but in reality merely take for granted?

You must’ve been eating some of HD’s brat late last night...is all.:D

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps I'm dead already, or never existed at all in any physical form and ALL of this is simply a dream from wich I will one day awake, only to fall asleep and dream a whole other life the next time?
Take a large hat pin, insert sharp end into your eyeball, push hat pin into your eyeball. Was the pain real, or imagined? Discuss.

Inkstainedwretch

One Too Many
Take a large hat pin, insert sharp end into your eyeball, push hat pin into your eyeball. Was the pain real, or imagined? Discuss.

"After we came out of the church, we stood talking some time together of Bishop Berkeley's ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed that, though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it -- "'I refute it thus!'"

Boswell, Life of Samuel Johnson (17910

C'mon man! You got better game than that.
[emoji14]
Having been stuck, gouged, sliced, and broken my fair number of times in life and maybe then some (I 'know' there's a bone in my right arm because I saw it poking out after an accident one time) I can say that my capacity to experience pain is not in anyway lacking. Does that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that all of this is real? No, it only proves that I am capable of experiencing physical sensations.

I didn't open this can of worms...I just dumped 'em out on the table so we could all get a better look at 'em.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
That's kind of the way I look at it -- I'm more worried about what'll happen to my island-of-misfit-toys ad-hoc family at the theatre after I go than I am about my own eternal destiny.

I sometimes think that the misfit toy- types are the stronger ones. They have to learn to deal with adversity early on. The overly pampered, center of attention prima donna types are the ones that really fall apart when there's no one around any longer to spoon feed them.

Surprisingly, that has played out in the lives of older World War II vets that I've seen: their wives pass away, and the poor guys can't even fix a PBJ sandwich for themselves, let alone handle laundry, cleaning, and other daily chores.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I sometimes think that the misfit toy- types are the stronger ones. They have to learn to deal with adversity early on. The overly pampered, center of attention prima donna types are the ones that really fall apart when there's no one around any longer to spoon feed them.

Surprisingly, that has played out in the lives of older World War II vets that I've seen: their wives pass away, and the poor guys can't even fix a PBJ sandwich for themselves, let alone handle laundry, cleaning, and other daily chores.

Not always.
Of the WW II vets in my life.
They didn’t sit around & wait for supper to be put on the table.
Unless you were on a diet or relished starving.

As far as laundry, there’s something to be said about flipping the underwear inside out.
Good for another week or so before putting it the wash.

One way you can tell of such fellows is when you see all
the t-shirt & under garments in a pretty soft pink or bluish color. :D

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Does it really matter? Whenever I get into a "we could all just be brains in jars" the discussions, this is what I ask myself. If I *think* I'm really a body with a brain, that's enough for me. We could all be rats in a maze for some greater being, but none of that has a big impact on my daily life.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Everyone was pretty shocked at my grandfather's capability to take care of himself after my grandmother died. My grandmother helped run his mechanic shop (before he retired), did all the business and household finances, all the cleaning and cooking. It took my grandfather a year to adjust, and he made some mistakes along the way, but he was self succicient for a decade until he had health issues. He never was a decent cook, ate out a lot and a lot of baloney sandwiches, but the house didn't decay around him and he and it were clean.

I think part of what helped was my grandfather grew up in really unfortunate circumstances and made his way in life on his own since age 12, until he was married.

I think you're very much right.

Does it really matter? Whenever I get into a "we could all just be brains in jars" the discussions, this is what I ask myself. If I *think* I'm really a body with a brain, that's enough for me. We could all be rats in a maze for some greater being, but none of that has a big impact on my daily life.
I think this is about as close to a correct answer as there is. Whatever 'this' is that we have, we can be certain that it's only temporary. Might as well make the most of it while we got it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I don’t have a large hat pin. Probably reading this post might have the same results! Discuss.
No hat pin, no problem. Go to the other end of the spectrum. That pleasurable encounter that you had with your partner between the bedsheets last night, real or imagined? Discuss.
(I dare you to say imagined, and then tell your partner that.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran