Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghosts, Time Travel, and Space / Inter-dimensional Neural Communication...

Bolero

A-List Customer
ET's or Aliens, if you will, have an extremely advanced method of communicating with each other, I believe its known as Mental Thought Transfer or Telepathy ...
This is basically why they have not contacted us (although I'm sure they have tried) we are unable, with our under-developed Brains to communicate at their level, its like us trying to communicate with Ants...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
But what if aliens really *aren't* any more advanced or evolved than we are. What if aliens are really just a bunch of sad-eyed, pot-bellied characters who punch space timeclocks during the day and sit around on their space couches at night watching dopey late night space comedians and go thru their lives wondering if there's any point to it all? Just like us -- but IN SPACE.

^^^ Other than they are more technologically advanced if they've figured out how to get here, I've often thought about this. After all the initial brouhaha of the aliens having finally come dies down, it will be quite a letdown if it turns out they, too, wonder if there is a God, how to get their kids into good schools, what's on alien TV tonight and how to get their cholesterol down.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
That's the thing that always bugs me about science-fiction depictions of aliens. Here's the Vulcans, beings of superior intellect, a race based on pure logic, elders standing around in impressive robes saluting each other, Live Long And Prosper, etc. etc etc. But what about the Vulcan janitor? What about the poor schmuck who has to polish the floors in those impressive marble halls and paint those corridors twice a year to keep them white, what does *he* think about all this logic stuff? What about the Vulcan plumber? Does he break up the clog in the Vulcan grease trap with applied Vulcan logic, or does he use a snake like we do?

Or Klingons. Proud warrior race, blah blah blah. What's a Klingon CPA like? "You dishonor yourself by taking the standard deduction when you could be itemizing! Defend yourself!" Or a Klingon butcher -- does he slice off pieces of Smoked Targ using one of those big swingy swordy things behind his deli counter? What if you complain that he didn't put enough gagh on your sandwich? Does he KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND, or just say "sorry, you can get more at the condiment bar."

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
Has anyone else noticed that right after David Bowie died, evidence of another "planet 9" was found?

COINCIDENCE???

I made a semi-joke the day he died to my friends that he was simply frozen by NASA until we can figure out how to cure his disease.

Half joke because if there really is a secret laboratory where NASA houses frozen humans for whatever reason, Bowie would surely be among the company....

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
That's the thing that always bugs me about science-fiction depictions of aliens. Here's the Vulcans, beings of superior intellect, a race based on pure logic, elders standing around in impressive robes saluting each other, Live Long And Prosper, etc. etc etc. But what about the Vulcan janitor? What about the poor schmuck who has to polish the floors in those impressive marble halls and paint those corridors twice a year to keep them white, what does *he* think about all this logic stuff? What about the Vulcan plumber? Does he break up the clog in the Vulcan grease trap with applied Vulcan logic, or does he use a snake like we do?

Or Klingons. Proud warrior race, blah blah blah. What's a Klingon CPA like? "You dishonor yourself by taking the standard deduction when you could be itemizing! Defend yourself!" Or a Klingon butcher -- does he slice off pieces of Smoked Targ using one of those big swingy swordy things behind his deli counter? What if you complain that he didn't put enough gagh on your sandwich? Does he KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND, or just say "sorry, you can get more at the condiment bar."

If ever there has been one on earth...

warhol-image.jpg

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
But what if aliens really *aren't* any more advanced or evolved than we are. What if aliens are really just a bunch of sad-eyed, pot-bellied characters who punch space timeclocks during the day and sit around on their space couches at night watching dopey late night space comedians and go thru their lives wondering if there's any point to it all? Just like us -- but IN SPACE.

Ill push that more.... What if Everything, I mean Everything we have ever conceptualized as aliens are real in some planet somewhere.

MikeKardec

One Too Many

Oh God don't get me started! And every planet has just one set of qualities, as if each wouldn't be a complete and complex ecology and economy on their own.

I actually LOVE the idea of Vulcan plumbers, steepling their fingers and concentrating on the precise spot to hit with the least energy to remove that pesky clog. Executive plumbers, no doubt. Klingons, on the other hand, their non warrior workers are no doubt treated horribly by the warrior aristocrats and thus take it out on others further down the pecking order, ultimately the children of the lowest would become super pissed off super soldiers and start the cycle all over again. And really, Klingons "Don't need no stinkin' condiments!" They eat their Targ the way it comes. Condiments are for effete Earthlings.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up

When things get very depressing
for the aliens.
They tune in to what's happening
on earth & how we treat one another.
That's enough to sober up
anyone no matter what planet.
They soon realize that it's
not so bad after all where they
live.
And that's why they prefer
to leave us alone!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

I have heard some people already get "klingons" from "laundry failure"...haha!

philosophygirl78

A-List Customer
When things get very depressing
for the aliens.
They tune in to what's happening
on earth & how we treat one another.
That's enough to sober up
anyone no matter what planet.
They soon realize that it's
not so bad after all where they
live.
And that's why they prefer
to leave us alone!

That's deep.... :confused::p

...If there are aliens out there, who's to say they don't believe in god, or struggle with some of the same questions we do...
Several years ago I was told the reason the so-called "Gray" aliens keep coming to Earth is because they don't have souls, but are very curious about the concept and want to understand it. Of course, since we humans don't really have a thorough understand of souls, or even whether or not they truly exist, the Grays probably leave Earth with no more answers than they had when they arrived. If that's the actual reason they come here, that is...if they do. I neither believe nor disbelieve until further evidence presents itself.

...Now I do have a 93 year old Mother living with us...She is like a tape recorder. "it sure gets dark early"..."got anything you want me to do"...."if I go hungry, it is my own fault for not asking for more"...."we used to race to see who could eat the most corn on the cob"...."my Sister and I would hide in the ditch on the way to the dances when a car would drive by so we would be safe"..."I'd rather dance then eat"...."how old am I, Mother lived to be 94 and she went wacky then passed away, but she sure was lively"...
My Mother did the same thing during the last few years of her life. We'd hear the same stories over and over, but would act as if we hadn't so that Mom wouldn't realize she was repeating herself and get upset. And, according to Mom, her "cousin Peggy" had every disease known to mankind at one time or another. If you told her, "So-and-so has the flu/measles/peritonitis/scurvy/cancer/whatever," she'd respond, "Oh, my cousin Peggy had that." :)

...My Mother talks to people all the time in her room. Friends that have been dead since 1950 or before that date...
Both my mom and my father-in-law interacted with people we couldn't see or hear whenever they were in the hospital during the last two to three years of their lives; particularly during what would be their last stays. For example, my wife and I would be talking with her dad, and we'd suddenly realize he was having a separate conversation with someone else. Once it a while he'd refer to them by name, and my wife would say something like, "Wait, that's my uncle so-and-so. He died 15 years ago." And during Mom's last stay in the hospital in January of 2004, she suddenly started having a conversation with my brother who died in 1984.

Their various nurses wrote this behavior off as "hallucinations caused by fever". But we have a friend who...well, to say she has "studied Metaphysics" is really only acknowledging the very tip of that particular iceberg...and she explained that Mom and F-I-L were indeed communicating with the "souls" of deceased relatives who were helping them to prepare for the transition that comes after the body dies. Who was right, the nurses or our friend? Or both? Or neither? I know what I believe; I'll let each of you decide for yourselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy