Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gibson & Barnes M422a, Us Wings $195

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Hello all,

Looks like need for more leather is arising again so i'm in the market for a new jacket and it looks like an M422a or a G1 fits the bill. F

Having has a look around I have narrowed it down to two manufacturers and I'm wondering if any of you guys have any recent experience of them. The first is the Gibson and Barnes M422a. It looks like a great jacket but I'm wondering about what the quality and fit is like? also is there wait times with G & B.

The second is the US Wings USN, USCG Goat Skin G1 jacket. Looks lovely in the picture (as they all do) but its $400 cheaper than the G & B. What is the quality like in this jacket and how is the fit? Obviously its a different jacket and manufacturer and you get what you pay for but is it still a good quality jacket for the price?

I'm not looking for a historically accurate jacket but I would like the best quality I can affored. Any experiences would be helpful.

regards

Flashy

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Don't know about those particular models but I have had 4 G&B jackets and they are some of the best leather jackets I have owned (includes Aero etc). The G&B goat is especially nice. Most US Wings are made by Schott and they are sometimes made off shore in Asia. They can be more hit and miss. G&B are carefully made and a bit more thought seems to have gone into the construction from my experience. I'm especially partial to the G&B Raider (not the Indy, although I own both.) Some folks call both of these brands mall jackets. If only mall clothing was as good as G&B. I reckon a G&B jacket will last 30-40 years if worn a lot. You might even be able to pass it on to a progeny. Any mall jacket I've had tends to be *&%## in a fraction of that time.

Peacoat

Bartender
Don't have a G&B, but the reviews I have heard, have been good. Most of the reviewers agree they are built on the large size. As Seb said above, the G&B goat has received favorable reviews.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Sorry can't help with first hand exp with those makers. However, based on my own search some time back, I'd go with G&B's M422a.
If I ever find myself back in the US, I'd grab one for sure. My issue is the sizing, would need to order one and go from there. Not enough posted pics of them.
I recently acquired a Cockpit vintage G-1. Really good jacket for the price. Comfy. Returned it only cause of the sizing... again.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Buy the G&B 422a. Workmanship is top notch. Jacket is made at the G&B factory in San Diego. I am scheduled to P/U a G&B AN-J-3 next month when I am briefly in San Diego. I also own an Expedition (Indy) jacket. Recommend them highly but be aware some of their jackets are sized big, so discuss with their customer service before proceeding with an order. The 422a might be one of their models that fits true to size. Ask G&B.

kojax

Practically Family
i have the cockpit usa vintage goatskin g1 jacket the jacket is made well. the goatskin is very nice and the fit is true to size good luck

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have had a G&B M-422A for eight years, and it's a very nice jacket. I've had a G&B Civil A-2 even longer. Both have held up to substantial wear beautifully, and the goatskin and workmanship are excellent. I briefly had one of US Wing's goatskin Indy jackets, and besides not fitting me at all, it was reasonably well made for the low price... but the materials were much weaker than G&Bs.

Since you say that you're not interested in accuracy, per se, I'd say it comes down to two things: 1 - How important are materials to you? (Excellent goatskin vs. goat with a too-heavy, plasticy finish; wool knits vs. synthetics; zipper size, etc.) 2 - What are your sizing issues? (If US Wing's generic S-M-L-XL sizing works for you, great. But G&B offers finer chest-numbered sizes, plus Short and Tall variations.)

Yes, G&B is more expensive, but they are definitely superior to USW (who are really only one small step above generic bomber jackets.) G&B is a solid maker that represents the middle ground between low-end jackets and artisan jackets from the premium makers...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I love G&B and would buy another, but I think they "overhauled" their sizing (at least with the civil a-2), in the last year or so. After trying on identical Civil's (one new this year vs. one 3 years ago), the new one was just much bulkier in the arms/upper torso area. It wasn't just a bit bigger in measurements; it looked and felt like a design thing. I could be very wrong but you might want to ask about it.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
I have a different US Wings jacket. Great value, but sizing can be all over the shop. You will think the extra cash is well worth it going with G and B.

thor

Call Me a Cab
If you aren't overly concerned with 100% authenticity, you might want to check out The Cockpit; their G-1 jackets are very well made and are in the same price range as G&B's Civil G-1.

I've got a USW G-1. It's actually a nice jacket for the money. I got it when it was the "Navy Flyers 100th Anniversary" edition. For the money, a great jacket. I have that and a cowhide USW A-2 that are my favorite "beaters". Also agree with thor on the Cockpit versions. If you can get them cheap, they're a great if not accurate buy.
My USW jackets were bought in assize 3XL. I can still wear them both, but they're a tad on the large side now. I'd say they tend to run a little small. Maybe one size - but it depends on how you like yours to fit.

Forrest

Familiar Face
I'd rank G&B higher in terms of quality. You are getting what you pay for. I'd email whomever you are buying from and ask for measurements (shoulders, sleeve, pit to pit, back length, zipper length, etc.) just to make sure you get the fit you want. Wings typically runs way over-size in my experience.

hyptul

Familiar Face
I have USW Cowhide VIP A-2 jacket (made in USA, by Schott), 3 G&B jackets, and 4 Aero's (2 Highwaymans and 2 A-2s). The quality of all is about the same.

Dracorex

Familiar Face
I own a G&B G-1 and M422A and I own a U.S. Wings Signature series G-1 and a $195 special G-1. I have purchased all of these jackets within the last couple years. When it comes to quality, in my opinion G&B is in another league compared to U.S. Wings. The G&B Navy G-1 is the same price as a U.S. Wings Signature Series G-1 but when you compare the two you just can't believe they're the same price. Everything about the G&B, leather quality, workmanship, hardware is just so much nicer. Both the G&B jackets are made in the U.S., the U.S. Wings Signature Series jacket is made in the U.S. but the $195 special is made in Pakistan.

Now when it comes to fit, that's a whole different ballgame. As has been mentioned numerous times here on the forum, G&B jackets run big! They are not Military cut! The U.S. Wings Signature Series jacket is! So if fit is the primary concern and you want a closer, tighter fitting jacket, the U.S. Wings jacket may be the one you want. If on the other hand you have a more modern physique I would go with the G&B.

When it comes to the fit of my two 42R G&B jackets, the M422A has a more military fit compared to the G-1. They are not the same size, at least mine aren't. The M422A is a trimmer closer fitting jacket.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hi,

I have never had a US Wings jacket, although I have had one of the ladies A-2s on order for my wife now for several months.

I have had 2 G+B jackets in my recent search for a replacement G-1(albeit 1 briefly).

G+B makes a great jacket in terms of leather quality and workmanship. They just make a real nice jacket and I'd say decidedly better than either the cockpit (which I've owned and is still very nice) or US Wings. A great example is in the fact that the throat closure is sewn together inwardly rather than ragged (which was actually authentic though not as nice) and the graceful curve of the pockets.

There are only two things you should be aware of in my recent dealings with G+B. First of all, the G-1 I received recently was extremely generously cut around the waist. It didn't look unsightly or anything, just not very much like a real G-1. If you are particularly broad amidships or if you just don't care, this shouldn't necessarily matter that much to you. The other issue was a bit more vexing to me. The people at G+B are extraordinarily nice. But they are pretty spotty on communication. I would talk to someone who was just as nice as pie, then find out a week later (when I thought it was strange that I never even got an order receipt and decided to follow up) that my jacket was on backorder and was still days from shipping. Having said that, G+B was outstanding about changing jackets out when the first didn't fit me and accepting the return when I just couldn't get over the sizing issue.

So, I guess I'd still say that G+B make a great jacket, especially at this price point, but just be aware of the sizing issue and that patience is something of a virtue when communicating with them.

I have a few pics that might be of use to you:

My 1997 era M-422A (modified at the time with G-1 style collar and cuffs). Note that the G-1 I recently received was NOT this trim. Plus this is a 44 and getting a bit small for me.

GBFront_zpsae5565af.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GBBack_zpsd5204250.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is a side by side of (from left to right) My issue G-1 circa 2004, a new G+B G-1, and my 1997 M-422A/G-1

Deacon

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the reponses gents. I think I will hang my hat on a G & B M422a or G1. The only think that worries me is the sizing. I live in Australia and ordering the wrong size can be fairly costly. I am a fairly large built 6'3 with and am a rack 42 or 44 jacket, should I go the 42 bearing in mind what you said about G & B sizing? Also, is there any real difference between the G1 and M422a other than the $230 difference in the price tags?

regards

Flashy

Acropilot

New in Town
I don't want to steal the thread, but I am also looking at the G&B G-1 and was wondering about sizing... I am normally a size 38 and am fairly thin. Those of you with a G&B, does it sound like I should look into a size 36?

Also, it's hard to tell from the pics, do the G&B G-1s have the "red-tind" to the collar like the older style jackets, or are they black?

Thanks

thor

Call Me a Cab
@Flashy: the G&B m-422a jacket is based on a WWII contract design made by Gordon & Ferguson; it has a lighter (milk chocolate brown) color than the (dark chocolate) G-1, a red lining and it's left front pocket is slightly wider then the right side pocket (to accommodate a pencil slot; this was the "a" designation on the m-422a nomenclature tag, differentiating it from the earlier m-422 jacket).

@acropilot: The mouton fur collar on the m-422a is a lighter reddish-brown then the dark brown G-1 collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24