Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
So, as we're repeating things, let me chime in:

Yes, Old Raj is a fine gin.

No, Hendrick's isn't, in my opinion. Blown-up nonsense, watery, and you really have to believe the hipster advertisements that try to make you believe they're anti-hipster.

Yes, different kinds of gin for different drinks, positively. Some of the top-range varieties are good on their own, good in a gimlet though they make a different drink than with more discreet gins, but they'd simply kill a martini.

And finally, still my personal opinion or experience: Yes, a martini is best very cold, but not for the price of lacking the water from the ice cubes! If you shake or stir it the way you do that with other cocktails, it'll be cold enough. Decent amount of ice cubes and some 20 seconds of shaking, or 30 of stirring will do. The difference a chilled glass makes is mental - it might both suggest the brain the drink is colder than it is, or create an expectation that isn't met then. I like my martini cold, but my glass dry on the outside.

There's no need whatsoever to keep the gin in the freezer, or the vermouth in the fridge, except to extend the best-by date, and to look cool. But you want a good drink, you don't want to impersonate Sean Connery and end up to be a poor Tom Cruise copy, do you?

univibe88

One Too Many
I had the WORST martini of my life at a restaurant the other day. It was a small place with the dining room and bar in adjacent rooms. I could hear them shaking my martini while at my table. And the shaking went on forever. I said to my wife "I hope to God that's not my drink."

Now, I don't want to rehash a great shaken vs. stirred debate. I really don't mind a shaken drink. But when it's shaken so vigorously that I can hear it 20 feet away...and it goes on forever....this was not good.

Sure enough, what came to my table was a gin slushy. There was so much ice in it that I couldn't even take a sip. And when a finally could strain a sip through my teeth it was terribly watered down. Not to mention they garnished with a lemon and I specifically asked for olives.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
univibe88 said:
I had the WORST martini of my life at a restaurant the other day.

I hear ya. I don't even ask for martinis in some places anymore, because I have to give so many verbal instructions to the "bartenders".

Richard

univibe88

One Too Many
And I feel like a jackass rattling off too much. I'll often get straight Scotch or Bourbon figuring they can't mess that up. Amazingly, it can be done.

Highlander

A-List Customer
For me, Bombay Saphire... I put the Extra Dry Vermouth in the olive jar with the olives. Then, make the drink dirty, with a mix of olive juice and Vermouth.

Panache

A-List Customer
Gin is my poison of choice.

I think that the taste of a Gin and tonic is the very taste of civilization.

I prefer Tanqueray but Beefeater is fine.

Favorite drinks include the beloved G & T with a nice slice of lime, Gibsons with three onions, and Basil Gimlets.

Cheers

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm 21 and I have just fallen in love with gin as of very recently and have been consuming vast quantities of gin and tonics. I finished off two 750ml bottles of Gilbeys in a week, so I bought a 1.75 litre bottle of same, hopefully it lasts a bit longer.:D
Im a bartender myself and I can tell you I've never had anyone ask for a gin martini, all the rage at the moment are vodkatinis of the flavoured varieties. I have to say after going through this whole thread I'm shamed to say that I've never had a gin martini, or even made one before. However, tomorrows my day off and I plan on spending the day at the bar at work, getting my friend to mix me up a few!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I haven't heard anything about a Bombay emerald, It could be something they're developing and/or trying out in certain markets to see how it sells. Tanqueray's added Rangpur and Ten in the last couple of years - maybe Bombay's thinking it's time to expand their product line.

I'm starting to like "plain ol" Bombay more than Sapphire. But lately I've been enjoying Plymouth. Very yummy Martinis with that.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Been slowly working my way through a bottle of Lilli. French gin. [huh] Pretty labeling but seriously lacking in flavor. Tried it with tonic, straight, in martinis, etc. Always tastes like vodka. Very light on floral and spice notes. Was a $40 bottle that I was able to pick up for $18. Now I know why.

Richard

Gin is my favorite. It agrees with me better than everything else.
I am a sweet Martini fan but I like dry too. Both always dirty and with two olives.
As for brands, we go through alcohol pretty quick so we can only buy the cheep stuff. Usually Burnett's, sometimes Gordon's. We have been wanting to try some Bombay Sapphire for a while....maybe this Christmas.:cheers1:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I've been singing its praises on the FL so much I should get a promotional fee, but gin lovers should track down Old Raj. Simply wonderful gin.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
16_sparrows said:
I just recently discovered Pink Gin (cocktail). Anyone else a fan?

I'm partial to a pink gin. Unfortunately (and shockingly) many bartenders today don't have a clue what one is, less how to make one.

I went to a 1920s to 1940s party a couple of years ago back home where the only drinks allowed were pink gins, Pimms, and champagne. Was a humdinger of a do although I do remember having a hangover of epic proportions the next day.

driven_247

New in Town
Another vote for Bombay Sapphire here...

* But *

A friend and I was in Vegas in 12/06 and I had a martini with the best gin I had ever tried. It was called "Leyden", I believe.

After returning home, I found a small liqour store in Richmond Indian that was willing to order a case for me and my friend. We did so... we loved it again.

Since then, I haven't been able to find it again. Anyone ever ran across Leyden gin? I would love to have some more.

univibe88

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:
Been slowly working my way through a bottle of Lilli. French gin. [huh] Pretty labeling but seriously lacking in flavor. Tried it with tonic, straight, in martinis, etc. Always tastes like vodka. Very light on floral and spice notes. Was a $40 bottle that I was able to pick up for $18. Now I know why.

Richard

Unfortunately many gins are going after the vodka market by making a very soft, vodka-like product.

Although I guess if they can attract the vodka market and have them graduate into a fuller, spicier gin, then it's a good thing for the gin market all around. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner