Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
I came to terms with booze in the school of scotch. But I find myself always reaching for gin. Gin seems to have experienced a real rebirth as of late, with several small batch gins growing in popularity. So, if you love gin, what's your favorite and how do you take it?

I'll start. Right now, I'm drinking Magellan on the rocks with a splash of soda and a twist of lime. This gin is hard to find, but well worth the trouble. At first the faint blue color was a turn-off, as I thought it was a trendy gimmick. But now it's my favorite gin. Turns out the blue color is a by-product of the iris root. It's heavy on the cloves with an afterbite of juniper. I find with a splash of soda, it follows with a sweet aftertaste of corriander. When it comes to a classic martini, I usually reach for Beefeater or Bombay.

So how about you take your gin? Anyone tried Distillery 209? I can't find it here in Texas, so I need your opinions!

Marc

S

Samsa

I have not the budget to be a connoisseur of anything, but gin has always been the only spirit that I really like. When I buy it, I buy Beefeater, as it's on the cheap side. I drink it with tonic water and ice.

Too bad there's no gin in the house at the moment, I could go for one right now...

60Years2Late

New in Town
Bombay. It's not bottom shelf, and it tastes good enough to suit my fancy. Not a big Gin drinker though. I like it well enough, but bourbon just keeps calling my name. You know how it goes when you get drunk and just order your usual.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Miller's. Wellbourne Strength. With Tonic, Lime and Ice. Best drink ever in the blazing heat. And I have yet to contract malaria!

CHEERS,

RC

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I'm not much of a drinker, but my mayor could join you. A few years ago a group of school kids asked what he'd like to have with him if stranded on a deserted island....his answer, a bottle of gin. lol

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
Samsa said:
I have not the budget to be a connoisseur of anything, but gin has always been the only spirit that I really like. When I buy it, I buy Beefeater, as it's on the cheap side. I drink it with tonic water and ice.

Too bad there's no gin in the house at the moment, I could go for one right now...

Ya' know, Beefeaters is much maligned, but a solid gin. Cheers!

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
rcinlv said:
Miller's. Wellbourne Strength. With Tonic, Lime and Ice. Best drink ever in the blazing heat. And I have yet to contract malaria!

CHEERS,

RC

Hmm, that's one I've not heard of. I shall keep my ear to the ground for that one with an endorsement like that!

Marc

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Cheap vodka is one thing, cheap gin is quite another. Charcoal is charcoal so I buy the exclusive Military Special vodka at the little PX but since they don't carry Bombay Sapphire I buy Gilbey's gin. For cheap, to have at home. When I'm out I order Bombay Sapphire or Beefeaters, or if that's not around Tanqueray if I must but I admit it's been a few years since I've had to have a Tanqueray. Well, I have gone out of my way to drink Plymouth, now that I think about it. :) Where can I get Boodle's, anyone?

BegintheBeguine said:
Cheap vodka is one thing, cheap gin is quite another. Charcoal is charcoal so I buy the exclusive Military Special vodka at the little PX...

Military Special, hmmm... I read a funny story involving that stuff and cooking with MRE's once... Should I PM the link, Ms. Ashley? (It can be a little crude in spots, not quite suitable for posting here.)

As for gin, brand probably doesn't matter much for me, since I only drink it as part of a Collins or gimlet anyway... I just pre-tip the bartender a little and trust them to give me what they think's the good stuff. (This method hasn't failed me yet, but that may just be me.)

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Gin...

A couple of years ago, my bartender friend switched me from Vodka to Gin. It was not an easy transition as I had many mixed drinks that were vodka in nature. However, after a couple of rounds with gin...I found that I was happy with it's taste. What is my gin of choice you ask? Well, Boodles of course!

Oh, and Plymouth is not bad either. Those are the only two that I really like.

FG.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Bourbon is disturbin' ...Brandy makes you Randy... but Gin makes you SIN!

Tanqueray - in the Green Bottle followed by Bombay Sapphire.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Some of my limited experiences of brands are:

Bombay Sapphire: bit feeblish, but excellent for Martinis (even though I use more vermouth than today's standard)

Plymouth Navy Strength: IIRC, I liked that very much indeed, including for Martinis

Hendrick's: I prefer continental discounter-supermarket own brands. It's just boring and a bit weird - not even enough to be interesting at least.

Tanqueray Ten and Beefeaters Crown Jewel: both rather good, in fact, clearly stronger flavours than their regular lines and still clearly gin, not genever or the like. Also good for Gimlets G&T etc., though in my opinion a flavour overkill for Martinis.

I tried some others, in particular the regular Beefeaters and Tanqueray - both absolutely fine on their own and in mixed drinks. Gordon's was good, too, I think, though I don't remember it exactly - been some time since I last tried it.

What I'd like to try yet, is Bombay "not Sapphire" Gin,but it's hard to get and probably more expensive.

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
My drink of choice these days is a Bombay Sapphire, lime, ice and diet tonic water. Tanqueray will also do nicely.
After an ill-advised bout with a bottle of gin as a youth (I lost the battle...) I steered clear of the stuff for years, but dared to try it again recently and fell in love with it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It's got to be Gordons!

gin.jpg

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I knew there was one more brand I liked, it is Gordon's. I'm no snob, though. I don't know what is in my happy hour martini (for $2.50 I don't want to know), just that it hits the spot.
Thanks for your offer Diamondback but I suspect that story will also fall under the category of something I'd rather not know, so no thanks. ;)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
If I don't have any more oude jenevers that a friend sends me from Holland (along with Troost Slices pipe tobacco ... mmmm), then I prefer Plymouth (hard to find in my area) followed by Bombay Dry and Beefeaters.

Funny. Just the other night I stayed after work (I get off at midnight most nights) and sat down at the bar for a martini. I work with all the bartenders there and figure they know what they're doing. I think I was wrong. lol Joe had just taken over the shift from Vanessa (the latter certainly fills out the uniform better than the former!) and asked me what I wanted. I said "Martini ... dry ... two olives." He brought it to me a minute or so later. Looked alright. Not nearly as cold as I usually like, but that's okay. Took a sip ... :eek: . Vodka. He used vodka. He apologized and told me that nobody asks for gin in their martinis anymore and haven't for years. So he always assumes vodka now. Dear lord ... what has happened to this country?!? The next one he made was nearly perfect though. I just have to remember to say "Martini ... gin ... cold ... two olives." In fact, maybe I'll put that on a business card ... or my gravestone.

Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21