Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

girls in guy's garb

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Biltmore Bob said:
There is no better looking woman than a cowgirl with a nice figure wearing Wrangler's, boots and a tight snap button shirt.

I know, I'm super behind in this thread. But I think this is a super sexy look for a woman.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Image%2B2.png

Miss sofia

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
My entry- The vintage 30s heavy wool and grosgrain ribbon trim tuxedo trousers are mine, bought some twenty years ago. I had them altered to fit me like a glove. The silk collapsible opera hat was a special gift given to me in the late 1980s after a memorable ADSC Art Deco Ball.

All other pieces are my husband's that I altered to fit; he wore these when we got married in 1993. The tux shirt sleeves were shortened 3", the tailcoat sleeves shortened 2-1/2", the vest waist was taken in. The suspenders are also vintage, and the pocket watch and chain.
377083484.jpg
377083440.jpg

00/377083294.jpg[/IMG]​
You look sensational Madam, as do all the other ladies too,
actually today i was wearing forties mens trousers with suspenders, a white shirt and tie and oxfords and got a few nice compliments, i always think it is a very sensual and elegant look for a woman, wearing male attire and it always makes me feel rather femme fatale, rather than frump, so thanks again ladies, i have got some great inspiration on expanding my sartorial repertoire from this thread! xx

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
For me, I think it's the tailoring and the FABRICS. Much of the men's clothing comes in really luscious, well-woven fabrics (as a rule...it happens with some women's clothing but it is much less frequent and it's usually a special thing in a flimsier version of it), like my adored tweed, for example. I miss having the advantage of texture in women's clothing. My way of doing it is to mix the two, a feminine blouse with a men's vest pulled tighter than a man's so that the shape is still there.

I'd never want to compromise figure for men's clothing, but I think in many ways, the tailoring of men's clothing accentuates lines that some women's clothing doesn't. Compare a long-legged pair of herringbone trousers to...ugh, bootcut women's jeans. There is none.

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Yes I think so Amy Jeane.

Just a little social history question on this... How were these women received in the Golden Era? Were they accepted for the most part or looked down upon?

All great photos by the way!

Smuterella

One Too Many
ZombieGirl said:
Yes I think so Amy Jeane.

Just a little social history question on this... How were these women received in the Golden Era? Were they accepted for the most part or looked down upon?

All great photos by the way!

Oh, very much looked down on, though you could just about get away with it if you were VERY rich and therefore allowed to be "eccentric."

An interesting book, sort of from the era (1957 - early 70s), is the Crystal Diary by Frankie Hucklenbroich.

I mean, its still looked down upon now, the abuse I've had when out with my exes surprised me. I'm not sure why its such a threat. [huh]

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
hey, i see my thread has been moved to the powder room in my absence. oh the humiliation ! it's also taken a slightly wayward path, but i suppose that's what can happen when you drop off the radar for three years.

now this photo is what i originally wanted to see... 30s girls in bellboy outfits with monocles !
cherry lips, thanks for posting that, and do you have any background info on the image ?

cherry lips said:

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
All I recall is that it was taken at Le Monocle in Montparnasse. I think I only browsed the text, and didn't understand it all since it was in french.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
herringbonekid said:
I see my thread has been moved to the powder room in my absence.
Who made that decision? This could have been a really big thread......

Nomanolo

Familiar Face
james2__copy1.jpg

This is actually me in the shop I work at. We make these pants for men (can someone give me the English term for these kind of ... pants... or...is it... trousers... :p )

But at one point I decided I kind of loved them for myself... since I can't find vintage pants to fit me :( So this was me trying them on. I've been selling them to women ever since and I own a dark burgundy pair!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou