Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

girls in guy's garb

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
when i was in college, i wrote a paper entitled "The Liberation of Men". It is simply outrageous that we, who fought for so long to be given the right to be allowed to live in full expression of who we are, should now be willing to restrain men in the same way.

It is simply wrong that we expect our men to be macho and full of bravado on our arm walking down the street for the world to see, and yet get angry when we cannot seem to squeeze sufficient emotion and softness out of them behind closed doors

i'm not sure you should take any blame for current male behavioural patterns. i think men restrict their own behaviour. yes, many are confused and stuck in the rut of wondering 'what women want' ... but don't forget that most macho behaviour is for the benefit of other men.

olive bleu

One Too Many
At the risk of sounding simplistic....it's really too bad that we can't all just be ourselves. We waste so much energy trying to convince others that we are exactly as they want us to be.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
I've never understood where the fear of femininity comes from. I can't think of any golden era movie star who didn't show some femininity. Even Clark Gable!
You could get away with a lot more in the 20s than you could in the 30s, and after WW2, you basically couldn't get away with anything.

By 1951, Robert Walker, as Bruno in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train, created the impression of a spoiled, effeminate, amoral mama's boy by dressing pretty much as a prewar show business type might have done - interestingly striped suit, picture tie (there's even some business concerning his monogrammed tiebar), pinned round collar, and oh my gosh, spectator shoes! Not "sissy" objectively – but definitely dandyish, hedonistic, and out of uniform amid the gray flannel army.

Bruno.jpg

olive bleu

One Too Many
west.jpg

this is me, a gal, in guy's garb(western garb)I had this taken as a present for my Dad a few years before he died. He was a huge fan of Westerns.

Sorry the picture is not very focused. This copy is actually the proof, so it was tiny.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
mmm...I admit there are certain moments where a woman dressed partly in manscloth can be both stimulating and charming. While women wearing ties are just yrrrrgggggg:eek: :eek: :eek:

This is one of my favorite pictures of my grandmother, Dorothea (who, along with my grandfather who played clarinet & sax in big bands, inspired my love of 30s & 40s attire, music, decor & films). I named my business after her. This was taken in a photo booth likely in the 30s. There are a few more of her with the friend she was out with that day, though her friend is dressed more "traditionally"....wonderful pictures.

zzdorothea1-1.jpg

Ang

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Victor/Victoria

was an amusing film, and amazingly, Julie Andrews ALMOST becomes sexy when you put her in drag. Not sexy enough to be believeable...

But the film it is based on, "First a Girl" with Jessie Matthews, 1935, is SO MUCH BETTER in every way. Especially the tailoring! Do check it out! It's funny too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RPvuW9RWkLQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RPvuW9RWkLQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Ooo I've just stumbled upon this wonderful thread!
One of my favorite directors is Dorothy Arzner http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002188/
She made movies in the 20s to early 40s with strong leading ladies, and some of them were her lovers. I recommend them all, my favorites so far include The Wild Party, Dance Girl Dance and Christopher Strong.

Here she is (on the left) with Joan Crawford
wmjoanarzner.jpg

Joan again
37cheyneyx.jpg

Two more of her leading ladies:
Clara Bow
clara_bow_the_wild_party.jpg

Katherine Hepburn
2527828440100367081kvjSPX_ph.jpg

I especially love Kat in her pilot attire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana