Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

girls in guy's garb

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I can't say, but I've found most guys love to part with their baseball caps or a coat without much coaxing because they think girls look cute in them.I wore a fedora to school the other day and had a ridiculous amount of compliments, (I pared it with a cute feminine shirt and a big smile) and most of the guys who've ever gave me a glance sat up and took notice!!! Opening doors, hanging about and such. I barely knew what to do with myself! (lol, plus I think most of them were just in love with the hat.) but it's been my experience guys love a girl in their clothes.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
just_me said:
I think women look great in them.
Me too!

kate-moss-paparazzi-fight00.jpg

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I don't know if it's been brought up, but during the late 20's and the depression, many women dressed as men when they took to the rails. This allowed them to trainhop easier (and if you've never attempted, they are certainly a necessity), pass as men to get jobs and to avoid rape and theft.

dogrocketp

One of the Regulars
Do They Look Well, or Not?

Somehow, I fail to look at a hat as masculine or feminine. To me the essence of it is....."How does it all fit together?" We should look at the package, not one element of it, unless it is grossly incongruous. The trick is to make ourselves attractive to the type of person we want to be with, or simply make ourselves attractive for ourselves. The common thread on Fedora is that we want to BE attractive and feel good about ourselves. For many of us, that's clothes from another era or style that is not currently in fashion. Good. We wear neat clothes and then enjoy them! Better! We are pretty damn interesting folks............. Best! By the way, the love of my life is feminine to the max, but not frilly. She is a deco goddess, and also a lawyer. She wears suits and killer dresses, as the occasion calls for. The yin and the yang work really well in her life, and the yearn works overtime for me! She knows who she is, and she'll read this for sure!

mike

Call Me a Cab
hey ladies!

As quoted from the song, Prove It On Me, written & performed by Ma Rainey in the mid-1920's...

"Went out last night with a crowd of my friends,
They must have been women, 'cause I don't like no men.
It's true I wear a collar and a tie, Make the wind blow all the time
They say I do it, ain't nobody caught me, Sure got to prove it on me."

Oh, good, I'm not gay for appreciating women sporting men's clothes - if done well, that is. Saw a butch/femme couple last week at a trad jazz show, but butch was unfortunately wearing the current dumb-ass stupid look: Baseball cap on backwards, baggy t-shirt, those grotesque baggy shorts, expensive basket-ball shoes with shocks pulled up the shins, oh yes, some kind of stud piercing protruding from her lower lip. She looked just as bad as her male counterparts who sport such trash attire. Saw another "couple" a few months before, one in a ReVamp men's plus-fours outfit, and it just was NOT the right look for her by any stretch of the imagination - IMHO.
unowhoanoninmensdrag.jpg

"Originally Posted by metropd ...BUT, (IMHO) the Biggest turnoff to me is a women in a mans fedora. It is Way too masculine of an accessory for a women..."

Jane March in "The Lover" (1992) proves otherwise. IMHO.

HBK's examples are spot-on.

Now, time to go power my nose...

ortega76

Practically Family
As always, it depends on the personality and presentation of the woman if she can pull off menswear or menswear-inspired stuff. It requires confidence and a little bit of the subversive.

Paula20Poundstone202.jpg

As much as it is her trademark look, I think someone like Paula Poundstone doesn't rise above the level of costume. It's just a schtick to her. I think whenever the menswear-look cycles back in, many women get trapped in this zone. Not using the look of a man as that oddly ironic way to showcase their feminity.

I think it was a gorgeous look for Charlize Theron in Head In the Clouds. She wore it with sex appeal and confidence. She made that fedora look darn good!

photo_25_hires.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko