Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GI's on German bikes

Eyemo

Practically Family
Anyone have pictures of GI's riding captured German motor bikes in the ETO?:)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Eyemo said:
Anyone have pictures of GI's riding captured German motor bikes in the ETO?:)

I remeber seeing some pics with paratroopers riding the german bikething with tracks in one of Michel de Trez books on Paratroopers in Normandy.
Any help?

Edit:
kettenkrad.jpg

Not the one I was thinking about. But heres one with GIs on a "Kettenkrand"

Eyemo

Practically Family
:) Thanks Guys...yes, anything is of interest.... but paticulary interested in France June 44 onwards, with Zundapps etc...:)

BrianS

New in Town
Spitfire said:
I remeber seeing some pics with paratroopers riding the german bikething with tracks in one of Michel de Trez books on Paratroopers in Normandy.
Any help?

Edit:
kettenkrad.jpg

Not the one I was thinking about. But heres one with GIs on a "Kettenkrand"
Hi It's a KETTENKRAD. Brian

JoshK

New in Town
GranadaGuy617 said:
Sweet 101st!

Hate to break it to you but that is Capt. Gordon C. Stenhouse, 1st Bn Surgeon of the 505th PIR, 82nd Abn Div. The reason he is in the Kettenkrad was that he badly sprained his ankle on D-Day so his men secured him the vehicle.

Americans All the Way!

-Josh

Story

I'll Lock Up

ron521

One of the Regulars
Saw a movie once in which a G.I. played by Marlon Brando (same guy from 'The Wild One') rode a captured BMW or Zundapp across North Africa.
Many scenes showed the distinctive horizontal cylinders protruding into the airstream as he rode. (There is a very small chance that the bike was a Harley XA, but only a few of these were built, and none saw active duty).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points