Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glove Making by Isabel M. Edwards

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
My husband recently picked up this little book for me (we both have a great fondness for old books, and I particularly like small books, or those on sewing/housekeeping). It was first published in 1929, but the edition I have is from 1946. I don't think it's ever crossed my mind that I could make my own gloves (other than knitting some)! I was wondering whether or not anyone here has made any?

The book has some wonderful section headings: 'Ladies' Motor Palm Gauntlet', 'Girl Guide Officer's', 'Golf' (see picture below), and 'Ladies' Visiting (Type I)', as well as a chapter entitled "Fancy", which includes sections on making Paris gloves and moccasins.

I think it would be brilliant to be able to make your own gloves, especially since I find that most shop-bought ones don't fit me correctly (I think I have a wide base at the bottom of my hand, and maybe a short thumb), but am not sure how tricky it would be - has anyone tried it?

Sara

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have two editions of this book (1929 and 1946) and have done leatherwork.

While I haven't done ladies gloves, I've hand-worked on boots, gauntlets and used to sell handmade baby booties about 20 years ago, the kind that are very popular today.

Ladies fine lather gloves require different leather, thread and needles than the projects mentioned above, and the leather is much more supple and is easy to stretch and tear. I actually believe I have some spare leather that is perfect (and pink!) But alas, don't have the time to try out a pattern.

I'd recommend you go to an experienced leather store if you want to start on this journey, as they can steer you to the right supplies.

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
Thank you for your reply, Betty. The baby booties sound wonderful, as does the pink leather! If you ever get the time and pattern inspiration (more often than not, I have far too much of the latter and not enough of the former) to make something with it, I'd love to see some pictures.

And thank you for your advice: I will try to find a shop that can offer some guidance about supplies and, in the meantime, maybe try out some patterns in another material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24