Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gloves: sizing, etiquette and all other stuff

moonmatrix

Familiar Face
I have lots of vintage gloves. I even have glove boxes for them. My favorite pair has to be a toss up between a black leather pair with with stitching detail and pair of toupe ones that go with a vintage fur hat I have. I have to own at least fifty pairs. I am lucky in that I have tiny hands so vintage ones tend to fit me. Modern ones are always too large. I find them at estate sales, thrift stores, antique centers and friends give them to me as gifts.

Lady Cecilia

New in Town
I love gloves but I can never find a nice vintage pair to fit me. My hands are quite wide, with long fingers but my arms are very thin, making it difficult to find any long non-stretch gloves that fit. I found a sewing pattern from the 50s, but have never tried making gloves, so haven't plucked up the courage to make my own yet. Does anyone have any experience or useful tips for sewing gloves?

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
Gloves???

Hi Ladies,
I have been looking for a thread about gloves, when you wear them, when you take them off etc. But even though I have used the search feature I can't find one, just loads of threads that mention gloves in passing. Can anyone point me to a gloves thread?
I am wearing vintage 40's dress nearly all the time now but I'm never sure when I should team a pair of gloves with my outfits and if I did when would I take them off. I have amassed quite a collection of beautiful gloves many which match my outfits perfectly, seems a shame not to wear them.

Thanks Ladies <3

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
NP
Or if you are already in the Powder room, to the right you'll see 'forum search' and if you click that, you'll bypass the first three steps.

LD

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Gloves

Perhaps this has been asked before I am not sure. But I am looking for reproduction gloves to go with this dress http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1084-products-9745.php?page_id=850 I have made it in a vivid purple between royal purple and magenta in shantung silk. I am wearing it to a wedding where the dress code is cocktail attire, and I will also be wearing leopard print pumps with it. Does anyone know where I can find a pair of wrist length gloves that are vintage reproduction gloves that would work this this dress? I was thinking lace or sheer gloves might be nice but I am open to suggestions.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
This is probably not going to be that helpful, but have you tried looking at bridal stores or stores that carry prom supplies? I know a lot of these items can be dyed.

The only place I have seen gloves around me is Claires- but they are satin gloves, not lace or sheer and they are really cheap looking. I think someplace like a bridal store might have them, given the fact I have seen brides wearing sheer and lace gloves.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Secrets in Lace have some very pretty ones.

I once picked up a very well made pair of satin gloves from a modern lingerie store in a mall. They were opera length, but theres always a chance they might carry something you like. It's worth popping in for a look if you happen to be in the area.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Charity shops are always worth a look, i feed my glove habit regularly from our local ones. I agree with the bridal shop idea too, they always have nice accessories, or any bridal shop worth it's salt does!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ladies, I have a couple questions regarding gloves. I have a wedding to attend next summer, and I recently found a beautiful suit to wear which is a warm purple color. Today I found a purple hat with a beaded bow on the front. Since the skirt is stained right in the front, I need to cover the stain. I was thinking I could add some purple beading that kind of matches the hat to the skirt, and then add some minimal accent beading to a black purse and black gloves to pull it all together. I believe I'll thread the beads onto some handmade purple crocheted lace, so it wouldn't be a heavily beaded band or anything. However, I don't know if this is ok as far as etiquette.

Is it possible to wear beaded gloves/ and a matching hat with some beading (not at all bridal) to a afternoon wedding? (I don't know what time the wedding will be held yet, but I am assuming afternoon. I know it would be ok for evening.)

Are black gloves/ black purse ok to wear to a wedding?

With gloves at a wedding, would you wear them into the reception and take them off at the table before eating, or would you take them off after the ceremony and not even bring them to the reception?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Wedding attire is so delicate. I believe the beaded accents you describe would be perfectly fine as long as they aren't very flashy. I think matching the gloves to the hat sounds very tasteful, too. :) If the gloves and purse are black, they would look great paired with a strong, saturated and dominant colour, especially. I've seen many, many women wear black purses to weddings and it looked quite appropriate.

If I was wearing wrist length gloves, I would take them off after the ceremony and stuff them in my purse. Opera length gloves I would not remove.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
The suit is a very short sleeve one- probably from the late 1940s. With the short sleeves- given the fact that it will be a wedding, should i wear wrist length or opera length gloves?

To me, it seems that logically that opera length gloves should be worn with shorter sleeves, especially for fancier events. However, it being a wedding, I'm afraid that opera length gloves seem too bridal. It's also going to be August in Missouri, so part of me really wants short gloves to be the answer. :) As long as people don't think that is going to look odd.

Thanks C-dot for answering my question. :)

Belladonna_dea

Familiar Face
If those don't do it, you may try a soak in Oxy-Clean. I recently bought a white deadstock blouse that came looking like it had been sitting out getting dusty for the past 60 years. I soaked it in Oxy-Clean and it came out sparkling. At the moment, I'm drying a suit jacket that I bought and didn't notice until I got home that the underarms reeked! :eek: So far so good. I can't smell a thing. Let's hope it stays that way once dry. It turned the water a gross orangey-brown colour. Dry cleaning only seemed to make the smell worse. *BLECH*

Hahaha! Armpits reeked.... LOL! Reminds me of these leather pants I found at a thrift store, they reeked somewhere else... I won't get into that. Oxy clean is amazing and I put it on everything. Better than bleach. I like the dry and liquid forms. Borax is great and if you put it on the floor around the outside (or inside if you don't have children or pets) of your house you can get rid of roaches! There was something called "bluing" a long time ago they may still sell but it makes your whites look super white because it puts that tinge of faint blue (like cool old granny hair < -- but not THAT blue ;)) on it . If they still sell the bluing I'm not sure I'd put it on a vintage item unless you tested a small inconspicuous area first.....

Lady Jessica

One of the Regulars
Hahaha! Armpits reeked.... LOL! Reminds me of these leather pants I found at a thrift store, they reeked somewhere else... I won't get into that. Oxy clean is amazing and I put it on everything. Better than bleach. I like the dry and liquid forms. Borax is great and if you put it on the floor around the outside (or inside if you don't have children or pets) of your house you can get rid of roaches! There was something called "bluing" a long time ago they may still sell but it makes your whites look super white because it puts that tinge of faint blue (like cool old granny hair < -- but not THAT blue ;)) on it . If they still sell the bluing I'm not sure I'd put it on a vintage item unless you tested a small inconspicuous area first.....

I think I've seen that bluing thing you're talking about at WinCo Foods in their laundry detergent section. It's in a small bottle.
I thought it was strange to sell something blue to make whites look whiter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner