Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Bear Jacket

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Occasionally I've seen a Golden Bear brand jacket in vintage stores, here's a letterman style Golden Bear I couldn't resist buying since it was in my size and in such great shape. Does anyone know anything about this company? Notice how the leather from the sleeves extends down over the cuff, I presume to prevent it from wearing out.

IMG_20070210_0001.jpg

IMG_20070210_0001_1.jpg

fedoralover

Raymundo

One of the Regulars
I think this company was owned by golfer Jack Nicklaus. His nickname was "Golden Bear" and the jackets are good quality as was everything he was involved with. I am not sure if he still ownes a part of this company or if the name has been changed or if they are still in business. Nice jacket, by the way.

Ray

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Golden Bear of California have nothing to do with "the Golden Bear", Jack Nickalus. They have been around at least since the 1930's, possibly earlier, when Nickaulus was still learning his abc's. I have a Golden Bear horsehide motorcycle jacket from the mid 40's that is one of my favorites, very similar in pattern to the Trojan jacket that Los Worlds and Legendary USA copy. They're still around.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
http://www.goldenbearsportswear.com/

They're a San Francisco company. They're making mall jackets now. Their A-2s and G-1s are anything but, they favor the word 'bomber', which is an indication of a complete disregard for authenticity. The varsity jackets seem to be high quality, however. Not much you can screw up on those other than fit / cut.

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

I don't know much about the history of Golden Bear, but I can vouch for its products. I bought an A-2 style Golden Bear 25 years ago. It was russet steer, and set me back $200 -- a stiff price back then for a skinny kid just out of college.
I still have that jacket. It has been overseas, to the top of the world and all over the United States. It has a replacement lining, the back of the collar is about to wear through, and the Talon zipper has finally developed a snag that takes a little finessing. That coat is as scruffy as a three-day beard, with the same sort of reckless appeal. I put it on and can still see the kid who ate peanut butter for weeks to buy that coat.
The jacket still fits, but I don't wear it much anymore. I'm saving it for whichever of my sons wants it, and the kid had better appreciate it.

Haversack

One Too Many
I used to live just down the street from them. They are located at the back of where Seals' Stadium used to be here in San Francisco. They are a family run business and have been making leather jackets since the late 1920s. Their stuff is still made here in San Francisco as well. Although they are not in the reproduction market, their clothes are very well-constructed. In the past, they have done a lot of individual custom work. I do not know if this is still the case however. Their building is pretty much a factory and has only a small room for retail. About once a year, (December, I think), they have a big sale and will be open on a weekend or two. Looking down into the main work room, the far wall was covered with a long hanging rack of pattern pieces.

Haversack.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey, thanks for the info, now my curiousity is satisfied. All of the Golden Bear jackets I've ever seen looked like they were well constructed. I know they make A-2 "type" jackets, not meant to be serious repro's but they are quality built.

fedoralover

James Miller

One of the Regulars
Golden Bear

I just got a golden bear Jacket from the late 40's or early 50's It nice horsehide and in great shape but it's a little stiff. Any one know what I can apply on the jacket to make it soft It's hard to ride a bike if you can move your arms. this jacket is really nice and no cracking inthe leather.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Pecards or Lexol are both products that will do what you want. Lexol is easy to find at a Car parts store for leather upholstry. Pecards can be bought online at numerous places, just google it and you should find a reliable place.

fedoralover

carter

I'll Lock Up
Golden Bear makes a fine jacket. In a previous existence I worked with them to produce a line of jackets for corporate retail. They make many styles and are a pleasure to work with. I have two of their jackets that were produced for us in the 90's. They also do very nice work with chenille and embroidery.
A quality company.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I own a Golden Bear A-2 that I'd guess is 20-30 years old. It's seal goat and modestly good quality, with nylon cuffing and lining. The goatskin is mostly still supple (with a few dry spots, notably a fine grained area at the nape of the back that is totally Lexol-resistant).

What's nice about it is the cut - not at all mall-rat, but a classic trim fit. The pockets are nicely spaced and have warmers with the welt cut into the back edges. The collar is stand-up and rounded, quite like a WW2 Perry.

The cut and color combo (seal goat + rust knits) make me think there was at least some respect for what makes a classic A-2.

Some older L.L.Bean jackets look to have the GB cut, detail and lining, as do some early Banana Republics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany