Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Aircraft

Talbot

One Too Many
From across the pond!

princess.jpg

Perhaps not quite golden era, but I have a thing abouts boats that fly...

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Temora Aviation Museum

http://aviationmuseum.com.au/

I was actually born in this town and now it is famous for this museum bankrolled by the Lowey Family of Westfields Shopping centres fame (now the largest shopping centre owners in America with the UK to come). Westfields just celebrated its 50th anniversary FWIW.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I live in Juneau, Alaska and we have the Hangar restaurant that is the original hangar for Alaska Airlines. There are all these great photos of the men who used to fly the planes, all wearing Ike jackets, fedoras and ties standing by these amazing era aircraft. Those pictures are one of the catalysts to my dressing as period as I can, because I can't help but think, these fellas we're in a profession that wasn't all that safe and here they are looking dapper as all get out... what a time.

spiff

New in Town
Warrussia said:
My favorite airplane has to be the DC-3. I just love the way it has the angles. but my other airplane I like that is in realm of owning is the piper J-3,
j3Cub.jpg

It was first built in 1938. It is a nice two seater taildragger that dosn't burn alot fuel. I am really thinking about getting my pilots license.

Once upon a time I used to fly a Cub so I have a terrible sentimental soft spot for them. They are like the Go-Karts of airplanes and so fun to fly. My favorite part about the Cub is how the side window swings up and the door the folds down leaving you with a really great view.

Have you read the book "Flight of Passage"? It's about two kids who restored and flew a Cub from New Jersey to California. Really neat story.

Other than the Cub, my favorites are the Grumman Goose, and Lockheed Electra. Also the Evergreen Ford Tri Motor looks neat in the inside...resembles a bus and the flight yokes are actually steering wheels.
A9TrimotorInt.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Junkers G-38

I just saw a comment on another thread about the Junkers Ju 52. This got me thinking about the amazing airplanes the Junkers company produced in the early part of the 20th century. And that led me to this remarkabe airplane. I guess a lot of us are in love with some of the early multi-engine monstrosities, such as the Dornier flying boats, and Sikorsky's early flying gazebos. But this is a really slick elegant plane that I had never seen before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_G.38

up196

A-List Customer
Vickers Viking

Stayed up late last night and watched the 1977 movie The People That Time Forgot on HULU. Is was a sequel to The Land That Time Forgot, both based on stories by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

A pleasant surprise was a major role in the movie played by a Vickers Viking biplane amphibian.

920__x400_people_that_time_forgot_poster_02.jpg

Turns out it was afull-size replica built for use in the movie:

http://www.brooklands100.org/aviation/G-EBED.htm

Movie poster credit wrongsideoftheheart.com

andy richards

Practically Family
Love the Catalina also...
You can actually book a flight in this one, including waterlanding....

11968564.jpg

56095643_DSC_0584.jpg

It's part of the http://www.aviodrome.nl/ collection in Holland, 30 miles north of Amsterdam. They even have a 1940's RAF pilot's mess, which can be booked for a private party (of course with strickt dress code!).
Cheers,
Andy

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There was a popular jingle during WW II, to the tune of "Oh My Darling Clementine", that went "Oh, I'd rather be a Hellcat, than a fat old PB-Y".
Notwithstanding those lyrics, I'd love to have a ride in a PB-Y.

Sled Dog

Familiar Face
HK1 Hercules

or better known as the Spruce Goose built by Howard Hughes.
Pics taken at Evergreen Aviation Museum, McMinnville Oregon

EG4.jpg

Howards view from the cockpit
EG17.jpg

Cockpit controls including 8 throttle levers
EG16.jpg

Looking out the cockpit roof hatch, 4 of the 8 engines
EG8.jpg

Tail section...big airplane :)
EG7.jpg

Thanx for looking
Kevin

Talbot

One Too Many
Depends on what you call golden era,

I have always been intrigued by the F82. I understand they saw action in Korea.

Lining one up on a target, or even a runway would be interesting.

F82_twin_mustang.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto