Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Architecture Photos by Atomic Glee

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
I take a lot of photos. Way too many, perhaps, but it's my thing. My passion is architecture photography. I, of course, am also a Golden Era geek, so putting these two together is a natural thing. I thought I'd share with the Lounge some photos of Golden Era architecture (and a few Golden Era-esque) that I've taken.

This first shot, like a great many of my shots, is from Fort Worth. The Upper West Side district of downtown Fort Worth features a mixture of historic and modern structures. On the left is Pier 1 Place, the world headquarters of Pier 1 Imports, a futuristic glass skyscraper with striking shaping and dramatic night lighting. On right is a remnant of the UWS's past life as "Automobile Row" during the '20s, '30s, and '40s - the beautifully restored former Packard dealership. While the car dealers have all moved out, the Packard building lives on as a funky, unique office building.

350632559_1589c7542b.jpg

Bigger here.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
351438767_40dc02b58a.jpg

Bigger here.

Built in 1928, the huge eight-story Montgomery Ward store in the Cultural District sat abandoned after Montgomery Ward went out of business, but was redeveloped recently into "Montgomery Plaza," a mixed-use project with ground-level retail and loft condos on the upper floors. This shot showcases some of the lovely Mission Revival architecture and the building's massive windows.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
ENfield3-8303 said:
Golden Era architecture = Very cool stuff! Looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Taken on the way home after the Dawn service in Martin Place.

Anzac War Memorial
Hyde Park South, Sydney
1929-34 C Bruce Dellit, exterior restored 1979
Sculptor: Raynor Hoff

The Anzac War Memorial was designed by C Bruce Dellit (1900-1942), winning first prize in one of the most prestigious architectural competitions of the day. Twenty nine years old in his second year of practice, the young architect imagined a monumental and highly sculptured design which broke away from revivalist traditions. It caused an uproar in the local architectural fraternity.

Located on the central axis of Hyde Park South (missing the underground railway), the Memorial was made possible after a protracted fund raising program initiated in 1919. Dellit's design in Bathurst granite is highly symbolic, with representational sculptures depicting events and personnel involved in World War 1. The memorial can be approached from four directions, the North and South approaches consist of grand staircases which lead to the upper circular Hall of Memory' (with its unique wreath like balustrade). The East and West entries lead to the lower circular Hall of Silence', featuring the sculpture representing the Sacrifice'. In the upper space, the visitors are compelled to look downwards, causing their head to be reverently and naturally bowed.

The statuary, sculptures and bas-reliefs were the work of English born artist Raynor Hoff. Above the east and west portals are bronze bas-relief panels which depict the activities and campaigns of the Australian Infantry Forces (AIF). Eastern Front campaigns are represented on the east portal, including Gallipoli, laying of railway, Army Service Corps, Army Medical Corps, Light Horse, Camel Corps, Signal Units, Infantry, Artillery, Machine Gunners and the Pioneers. The record of the AIF on the Western Front shown on the west portal includes the Air Force, Cycle Corps, Artillery, Army Medical Corps, Bombers, Engineers, Tank Corps, Pioneers and Infantry.

Each of the sixteen granite buttresses is surmounted by cast granite figures, saddened and reflecting the loss caused by war.

Information appearing in this section is reproduced from Sydney Architecture, with the kind permission of the author, Graham Jahn, a well-known Sydney architect and former City of Sydney Councillor. Sydney Architecture, rrp $35.00, is available from all good book stores or from the publisher, Watermark Press, Telephone: 02 9818 5677.

77 York Street (cnrs. York, King & Clarence Streets)
Modelled on the Chicago Tribune Building
Architects: Morrow & Gordon

HQ of General Douglas Macarthur C in C Allied troops in WW2

There is actually a tunnel constructed underneath to the Eastern Suburbs to allow Dugout Doug to escape if the building was attacked!

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Thanks, everybody!

352933684_3208bb8ee7.jpg

Bigger here.

This isn't actually Golden Era, but this shot turned out so noir-ish that I had to share it.

The AMC Palace theater and attached Barnes & Noble store in downtown Fort Worth were built in 1996, designed by David Schwarz. The complex was designed in a Streamline Moderne Revival style, though the far end of the complex features an attached Barnes & Noble Cafe in a Victorian Revival style for contrast. I loved how this shot came out in black & white - the neon and the blurred human silhouettes make me think of an old noir movie.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Art Deco

You done good! What a style - what an era in America - like a fellow lounger said - I want my century back!

I will have more Aussie picks

Lets see if the Londoners/Euro Lounge Lizards come up with something.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
351438770_f940ca7eb2.jpg

Bigger here.

The First United Methodist Church in downtown Fort Worth's Upper West Side neighborhood was built in 1931 in the Gothic Revival style with some Art Deco touches. It is still heavily used today, is in beautiful condition, and greets tons of visitors every day entering downtown on 7th Street.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
366821928_6d7154e917.jpg

Bigger here.

A view of the Electric Building (1929) and the Neil P. (1921), with some of the other neighboring buildings, from Burnett Park in downtown Fort Worth.

The Electric Building was built as the home of the Texas Electric Service Company in 1929. It is now apartments. The Neil P. Anderson Building was built in 1921 as the home of the Cotton Exchange. It is now luxury condos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael