Golden Era inspired hockey goalie mask

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by JonnyO, Jun 7, 2013.

1. JonnyO

JonnyO A-List Customer

I recently purchased a new goalie mask and have been getting them painted by my teammates girlfriend, who is an art major in college. I gave my teammate pictures of Sinatra, Robinson, and Bogart and gave a basic idea, the pictures below are what I got back. I apologize if the photos may be a slightly dark, it was the only way I could really get the white paint to show well in pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Very cool! love the bullet holes.

Boy, hard to believe that goalies (like Glenn Hall here) never wore anything back in the day.

[​IMG]

3. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

And for 2013-2014 additions to the NHL, eye guards are mandatory.
    I remember the 60's and 70's where there was almost no gear. This guy's near death injury added the neck guards for goalies.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

4. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Great mask btw!

5. katiemakeup

katiemakeup Practically Family

Those are great! I couldn't imagine not having the masks back in the day

6. JonnyO

JonnyO A-List Customer

Thanks for the compliments everyone. It is quite amazing how things were even just 50 years ago. It's just like my other past time/profession of firefighting, the strides made in the last 50 years in personal protection have been nothing short of a miracle.

7. matei

matei Practically Family

Very cool... that is the first mask I've seen that references the Golden Era. I guess it would be a bit much to take to the ice wearing a fedora, so that is the next best thing. ;-)

I'm a goalie myself - just started playing again in a league over here in the UK, after a break of nearly 20 years. It is amazing how much the game and the equipment has changed even over that amount of time.

I'm still using my early '90s gear, and I feel like a skating museum exhibit. :) I don't have the butterfly flat-faced pads, and still wear a wire cage and helmet combo.

I've played in the old school "Jason" mask when I first started, but a puck to the face got me to switch real quick! To think that Glenn Hall and the like played without any face protection... no way!