Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Marvel Comics

mike

Call Me a Cab
I thought a good examination of Golden Age Marvel Comics was sadly lacking here. No' mo' tho'! :D

I was first introduced to the Golden Age Era of Marvel Comics by the iconic image of Marvel Comics #1 staring down at me from the Marvel Masterwork hard cover reproduction when I was in middle school. At the time, the 50 dollar price tag seemed unattainable.

The first issue was released October 1939

MarvelComics1.jpg

A little later, I got a taste of the characters from Alex Ross' Marvels series which is the story of the Marvel Universe from the late 30's through the 60's from the perspective of a newspaper photographer. It began with the original Human Torch & the Submariner; spotlighting their battles and adventures in New York City and during World War II alongside Captain America fighting the Nazis. I thought this era seemed so exciting but as a kid getting my hands on the expensive reprints of the originals was also a daydream.

1-1.jpg

As luck with have it, I got older! And have since purchased a bunch of the Marvel Masterwork collections. The artwork in this era of what became Marvel Comics, is intensely raw and primitive. The story lines and characters are bordering on surreal.

The Human Torch, is a 1940's version of a cyborg, but is virtually human compared to other 1940's robo-humans (as featured in the film serials the Phantom Creeps, the Mysterious Dr. Satan and the Phantom Empire.) Throughout his adventures, he severely burns virtually any and everyone he comes in contact with!

The Sub-Mariner is for all intents and purposes a modern day terrorist. He pops out of the ocean, derails an elevated subway train, laughs at the subsequent human suffering and escapes back into the ocean - and yet is the hero?!

Possibly my favorite character is the Angel. He looks like a mirror image of Superman but with a pencil mustache. He has no super powers and is basically just a detective like Batman, minus the inventive gadgets on his belt. He doesn't have a mask, but he does have a secret identity. So anytime he comes in contact with criminals - his secret identity is blown! It just so happens all the criminals he fights wind up dying one way or another so his secret remains safe to fight another day!

Often times the stories are set in haunted houses or featuring mad scientists. Sometimes the "heroes" fight 3 story tall, reanimated corpse frankenstein-esque monsters for no reason and with barely any resolution. Often the characters fight run-of-the-mill golden age gangsters who have invented some elaborate contraption to capture the hero that just can't go wrong, but always does.

So in short, these comic books are completely absurd and are absolutely worth the approximate $50 price tags. Don't be scared away by the fact the collections only feature 5 issues per book, each issue is over 50 pages long and packed with goodness!

Some samples of content...

Angel_golden_age.jpg

pre_MARCOM010023_col.jpg

angel.jpg

MarvelComicsGold3.gif

MarvelComicsGold4.gif

MarvelComicsGold6.gif

MarvelComicsGold7.gif

mike

Call Me a Cab
the Blazing Skull

first appeared in 1941's Mystic Comics #5, I'm not sure if any of his adventures are available in reproductions but what a cool look...
skull.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Imahomer said:
Didn't the sub mariner have the hots for sue storm of the fantastic four?

That would be from the Silver Age. He did have a human romantic interest in the Golden Age, but not a super heroine or anything. The 40's Marvel comics are some of the most forgotten but are really worth delving into! :)

Namor.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I love the old golden age comics.
I always thought the Angel's costume was kind of because he would change out of his street to put on a superhero costume with his whole head/face exposed, that's less of a disguise than Superman had. lol
I don't remember seeing the Blazing Skull before but it is funny how many old time heros used skull symbols, such as The Phantom and The Black Terror.

The new series The Twelve is an interesting take on some of Marvel's forgotten superheros.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I'm totally swiping this from scans daily, but this adventure of "Marvex The Super Robot" encompasses everything I love about golden age comics...mind boggingly ridiculous origins, brainless dialogue, and great suits.

001y6p5x

001y757x

001y8y4h

001y91h3

001yaaf4

001ybfh6

001yca4t

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
I must confess my love of comics ends where Daredevil begins. I like modern looks a lot more -- love Frank Miller --, but the cheesy dichotomy of good and evil (did I just hear Nietzsche roll in his grave) present in old comics is welcomed when the world gets just a little too hard to bear. I'll have to pick a golden age up.

stephen1965

One of the Regulars
Captain America etc

Thanks for the great cover images. It's interesting (to me) that quite a few of the Golden age heroes were brought back in the Silver age marvel comics like Sub Mariner who had suffered amnesia only to be found as a 'down and out' in a Bowery 'flop house' by the new Human Torch. Also Captain America is found & awoken from 'suspended animation' and the Whizzer who were members of the Golden age 'All Winners' group both make Silver Age comebacks. There are others but I would be here for a long time...

There's a huge Siver Age cover scans site here:http://www.samcci.comics.org

I do agree though that the Golden Age illustrations are most charming. The Silver Age images become less so over time but the early Jack Kirby ones of (my favourite) the Ant Man in 'Tales to Astonish' have that slightly dark/sinister edge which makes them so weird and interesting. Also, the early Steve Ditko images of SpiderMan and Dr.Strange have similar creepy/horror feel to them too. (Can't figure out how to put up images yet..)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As my name implies, I'm a fan of Silver Age Marvel. I started reading back in the 60s (after having been a DC reader back to around 1960: I literally learned to read on Superman), and continued through the mid-70s... the last Marvel comic I bought was Giant-Sized X-Men #1 in 1975(?), which introduced the "new" X-Men lineup.

I have affection, of a sort, for the old Golden Age stuff too, but the majority of it is just too simple (I'd say "campy", but that implies that was intended ironically, which clearly wasn't the case) for my taste. I respect it for inventing the genre, but it doesn't excite my interest. I enjoy it more when reinterpreted or used as background in modern forms, e.g., Marvels and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay.

A nice gallery of (mostly non-Marvel) Golden Age cover scans:

http://www.samuelsdesign.com/comics/

Oh, and I highly recommend Mark Evanier's new biography/coffeetable book on Jack Kirby, Kirby: King of Comics. It's the best single-volume work yet on this towering genius of sequential storytelling!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21