Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Era Places Today

John Bruner

New in Town
I would love to hear about places in other cities anywhere in the world. If you are coming to Los Angeles the place I would suggest to stay would be the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. Any other hotels or restaurants in other cities where a fedora would fit perfectly?

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Located under City Hall Park is the world's most beautiful former subway station. It is located at the south edge of the loop that turns Lexington Avenue IRT locals (#6) around to the south of the Brooklyn Bridge station. It's been closed to the public since 1945. It can be seen by staying on the #6 local after the end of the line riding southbound, and looping around to enter the Brooklyn Bridge station northbound, provided the motorman allows you to do so.

Not too long ago, the Transit Museum conducted occasional tours of the old station, but these were eliminated in mid-1998 because of growing concerns of the Giuliani administration over possible terrorist attacks on City Hall, which stands above the station.

Over the years, the station has fallen into disrepair with rust and water damage. But enough remains to show that this was once the crown jewel of the subway system.

CityHall1.jpg

CityHall2.jpg

John Bruner

New in Town
Terrific pics! A shame to see a place like this go away. Below is a music video shot at Maxwell Demille's Cicada Club in Los Angeles. Gives a great feel for the place.

[video]http://youtu.be/ZMghi6ike-w[/video]

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Doesn't show classic flickers or anything, but my local picture-house, the Rivoli Cinema, has kept its Art Deco flare ever since it was opened in 1940...

night-rivoli-cinema.jpg

That's where I go whenever I want to watch a movie. It's got sweeping brass-railed staircases, fancy carpets, old movie-posters on the walls and big, comfy seats in the theaters upstairs.

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Doesn't show classic flickers or anything, but my local picture-house, the Rivoli Cinema, has kept its Art Deco flare ever since it was opened in 1940...

night-rivoli-cinema.jpg

That's where I go whenever I want to watch a movie. It's got sweeping brass-railed staircases, fancy carpets, old movie-posters on the walls and big, comfy seats in the theaters upstairs.

Wow that is awesome! I work across the street from Radio City Music Hall but the Rivoli is certainly impressive in its own right.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
In the Oakland and Alameda, Ca there is the Grand Lake Theater (27?) and the Alameda theater (32?). Both have been lovingly restored.

Mike

Michaelson

One Too Many
Wander around downtown Ft. Worth, TX. Some of the nicest Art Deco building fronts I've ever seen to date are there, and still in excellent condition .

Regards! Michaelson

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'd have to start with Radio City Music Hall:
http://www.radiocity.com/

But I'll also mention Patsy's Pizzaria in East Harlem. It's been there since 1933. Great place. Sinatra thought so, too.
http://www.thepatsyspizza.com/index.html

Senator Jack, Fletch and I had a great lunch there a year or two ago, and I was just there today. Superb pizza. The rest of the menu is good, but not what I'd call great. But still definitely worth a look-see.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I don't think there exists anywhere in the world the concentration of Art Deco structures found on South Miami Beach. The Art Deco District has well over a hundred hotels of various sizes, many with bars and/or restaurants on the property. Add to that maybe a thousand residential buildings and you have the mecca of Art Deco.

John Bruner

New in Town
Two not very well known Los Angeles golden era places are on sixth street in San Pedro, CA near the Port of LA. The Arcade Building across the street from the Warner Grand movie palace are timeless.
4934199642_7f2a59568d.jpg

3299427026_ae20919798.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara