1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

Golden Era Things You've Revived Or Repaired For Use

Discussion in 'Skills and Smarts' started by St. Louis, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Dunhill Sports Lighter (Ca. 1926)...

Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

AFTER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Money Shot:

[​IMG]

2. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Nice job. Just yesterday I was looking at a lighter on my desk that dates back to my Grandmother's house. She's been gone a long time, and she and my Grandfather had it a long time.

I think I will pull it part and see if all it needs is a bit of lighter fluid.

3. I like wood & canvas canoes, & I bought this one at a yard sale in either 2014 or 2015. By serial number it's a 1928 Old Town. One side of the gunwale was split but repairable, the thwart was missing & from the bottom it looked like at least 3 ribs were broken where the floorboards had been added.

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

I finally had the time to work on it this winter. When I peeled off the old canvas I found 2 of the cedar strips were soft & bad from the canvas leaking. I bought 3 new cedar strips planed to size (1 extra) but had to build a steamer to curve them to fit. I also bought new canvas, 3 ribs & a thwart from various sources online. My wife learned to cane chairs several yrs ago so she caned the seats when the frames were ready.

IMG_6914.JPG

IMG_6927.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6912.GIF

During the era this boat was built a light green & gold paint stripe was a $6.00 option on the dark green body. I've found a car painter who does pin-stripping who will come out & do the stripping for me but it will cost me ~12 X the original price.

IMG_1995.JPG

Continued

4. A while back I got a tip on the location of another Old Town of the same vintage, in original yellow canvas. More recently I made an offer & got it bought for a future project. Since finding the painter I'm thinking of doing this one in white canvas instead of yellow. He says he can paint the Indian border if I work out the scale.

IMG_6916.JPG

IMG_6917.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1995.JPG

5. ^^^^^ That is so cool Jack! Kudos to you and the Missus.

Hurricane Jack likes this.
  6. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

7. Thanks guys! Still on the hunt for a nice restorable birchbark.

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

8. greatestescaper

greatestescaper One of the Regulars

I am currently, slowly restoring quite a few golden era wood working tools. Today my son and I are working on sharpening some chisels with the hand grinder and Arkansas stones.