Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goldleaf's Great News...and some buying advice!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Ohhh, babby!!!!!!!!! I was trying awhile back with a guy I was in a serious relationship in with for the longest time, but it didn't work out, both ways (it was for the best any way). Good for you!! I'm happy and jealous at the same time.
I agreee with the not buying the non maternity clothes. You never know how your body is going to react post pregnancy.

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
I agree with Jitterbugdoll. I think you should focus on maternity clothes and baby clothes. My hips never went back to pre-baby size. I lost all the baby weight but hips stayed bigger.

Congratulations...... I hope everything goes textbook for you.

Shearer

Practically Family
I'm late getting in with congrats, but this is exciting stuff! ;)

Congratulations, GoldLeaf to you and your husband! :eusa_clap

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
pretty faythe said:
I agree with the not buying the non maternity clothes. You never know how your body is going to react post pregnancy.

True. My Mom's shoulders became permanently broader after we were born. I already have relatively wide shoulders for my frame. I'm afraid when it's my turn that I'm going to end up looking like a really short football player! :eek:

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
So, I wonder ...

Ladies in the 40's and 50's were only told to gain about 15 pounds or so. They must not have gotten very big. These days, the doctors suggest gaining between 25 and 35 pounds. I wonder how large vintage maternity clothes are designed to get. One thing that will be nice, I won't have to worry about having the waist hit at the wrong spot. Waist, what waist? lol

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
We don't want to know the sex, so we have to come up with names for both :)

We have had a boy's name picked out since we were dating, probably 5 years ago. It was funny, we were chatting over coffee, and hubby told me he thought of a great name, and I responded with "Me too! But you go first." He said he liked Gabriel, and I couldn't belive it, that was the same name I decided I liked!

Since we have the short last name of Leaf, I liked a strong, 3-syllable name as a first name, and the flow of a 2-syllable middle name ending with Leaf.

My brother died when he was 4 months old, and in his honor I would like to use Andrew.

So: the name all together would be Gabriel Andrew Leaf. Gabe is a pretty good nick-name and if he decided he doesn't like Gabriel, then he has a strong middle name to fall back on :)

As for girls, whew, that's a different story. My great-grandmother was the daughter of German immigrants, and her name was so melodic: Willhelmenia Anna-Sophia. Sophia is a wonderful 3-syllable first name, or I could stick with the hyphenation. We also like Natalie, and variants, like Natalia, and Natasha.

Unfortunatly, I am not fond of other names in my family, my grandmother was Bernice, and my mother is Edith. My other grandmother is Virginia.

And I know that I sound picky, but I really want to try to stick with the 3-2-1 flow for the names. Luckily, there are websites out there that let you search a database of baby names by syllable!

So, how about you other ladies. Do any of you have names picked out that you would like to use some day?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well if I ever had kids, I always wanted to do an old Africal tradition of waiting 6-12 months (altho Id prolly wait a few weeks) to name the child. That way you would know their personality and they would tell your their name through their growth.

Thats how I named my dog Georgia lol I didnt name her for two weeks, and then it just popped into my head. "You are Georgia!" My granny (who is Georgia as well) was not too pleased :eek:

LD

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Shelly, that is a really cool tradition! So, do you wait that long to fill out the birth certificate? I wonder how pushy the baby-recording people (who does that anyway? ) would be about having a name quickly? Not like it is their buisness, but you know how beaucracy can be.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, from what Ive read on the practice, it was done because of such high infant mortality rates. Children were given a temp name, then at age 5 there was a ceremony where the child was given their real name. The tradition varies by culture of corse.

As far as the birth certificate, Id be the Mama! Im sure I can do what I want lol **I hope**

But this is a thread about you, so lets get back to that :) As far as your 3-2-1 thing, I think that is a lovely idea. There is nothing better than a flowing name, its sweet and makes you smile.

Good show!

LD

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I like your idea of a 3-2-1. I think it's neat that parents have an idea of their children having some kind of, I dunno, "identity" maybem to their names. What I decided when trying to figure out the name for my first one, she was "Baby Girl V..." for about 3 days while she was in the hospital (heck looking back at it, she was in there for 2 weeks, so actually I still had the remainder of those 2 weeks to figure outta name lol). I ramble. Any way, I decided on Jade Noel, it was supposed to have the two dots over the e, or was it the o, now I cant remember, because its Noel, Christmas in French, even though she was born in the smack dab middle of summer. So she is my little green christmas. When I found out about her sissy was coming and that she was indeed a girl, I wanted a name simialar, so onto to internet we went. There I found out that Jade happened to be one of my mysical birthsones, and since I wanted her sister to be a jemstone also, I also chose her to be another of my mystical birtsones...so her sister was named Saphyre Angel. She is our blue angel.
Ok, so I may be a little dorky, but another reason why I chose those names whas just a few years ago my name hadn't gained much popularity and a part of my also wanted to share that misfourtune on my children. lol I still cant find Faith on anything personalized, but everynow and then I am seeing a Jade and thats just not right. :mad: lol

Oh, and here in Vegas they come to you to your room a day or so after you have your baby to regester the babys name and fill out the birth certificate info, I dont know how that flows in other states though.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Goldleaf, I want to extend my congratulations on your new arrival too! :eusa_clap

I echo Etienne's comments earlier as well as some of the others. Concentrate on your marriage and preparing for your new arrival. I've been married 25+ years--very unusual in my part of the country and I know that children need to see happy, loving parents. Your body may or may not get back to your pre-pregnant shape. I know of some gals that wore their "skinny" jeans home from the hospital! But most women don't and I wasn't any exception. As your baby grows inside of you, your pelvic bones will actually separate a bit to accomodate the growing fetus. After the birth of the baby, sometimes the bones will fall back in place, but most often they don't. Not that you're going to be really huge, just don't be too disappointed in your body shape at first. And it was a lot easier for me to lose the weight after my first-born than with my second--but that's just me. Oh, and I'm proud to be a pear-shaped woman (not a triangle ;) ) because its part of me being a mom--along with those darn stretch marks, my badges of honor. I remember when I was pregnant with my first son how excited I was and I think I tried to read every baby how-to magazine and book out there. Enjoy your pregnancy--even though you may be very tired at times, its a real special time in a woman's life.
What a special Mother's Day you will have this year!
Happy Mother's Day to you! and happy pushing!

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Congratulations, Gold Leaf! The male name you have picked out is very handsome. Now it seems to be the norm to have unusual names but having grown up with one myself (Pia Natasha), I chose the go a more traditional route (Nicholas James) and since I didn't know in advance, I also kept Natalie Marie or Natalie Elena in the running. My sister is also expecting this year. I know they are hoping for a girl and am lobbying them to use the name Eliza. Eliza (insert 2 syllable name) Crow. Which come to think of it would mimic your 3-2-1 pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran