Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goldleaf's Great News...and some buying advice!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
You must be so excited! I hope you're looking after yourself and getting loads of rest!
Any odd food cravings yet? Mine was tomatoes and fish sticks (those funny Surimi sticks!) I couldn't get enough!
It's such an amazing time.
K

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Kitty,

My pregnancy has been pretty uneventful so far. I haven't had any cravings at all! I had a slight aversion to meat for a few weeks, but that has passed now, too. Even my fatigue is almost gone! Most days, I don't even feel pregnant except for the unrelenting hunger!

I am a bottomless pit, I can't eat enough. 30 minutes after eating dinner I am starving again. I am getting so sick of whole grain bagels as my snack, but there really isn't anything else that is good for me and filling that I can think of off the top of my head.

Any ideas? What did you ladies eat that was good for you as a snack? I eat fruit through out the day as well as one container of yogurt. I think I may fall a bit short of my veggies, though. They aren't as easy to eat raw, in my opinion.

I am fortunate that I haven't gained 10 lbs already considering how much I eat! But I am trying to eat a balanced diet and I walk everyday, so that helps. I rarely ate junk food before becoming pregnant, but it really is off the menu now. I just hope I don't end up like my mom, she gained 65 lbs!! Of course, it was all water and she could fit into her pre-pregnancy clothes when she left the hospital!! (she had a 2 week stay).

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling so well!!! Hearing you describe your ultrasound appointments was so very cool!! This is all so exciting:)

This must be the time for babies, either that or there's something in the water, there are 6 girls on the floor of my apartment building who are either pregnant or just had babies in the past few months. That's just my floor, I don't know what's going on in the rest of the building! Note to self: don't drink the water until boyfriend thing is secure:eek: Also, my sister is pregnant again, yippee, she is due December 12th, so she's going through the same things you are. By the way January 3rd is a great day, that's my Mom's birthday!
Anyway, my sister is all about eating natural and healthy. She is a snacker, and I know she has a list of healthy, filling snacks that are good for both her and the baby. I will give her a call this afternoon and ask her what she likes to nibble on, and PM it to you. She's pretty creative when it comes to food (she's a Culinary Institute of America trained pastry chef, and she just trained there for fun:eek:) so she has a lot of great, healthy, recipes. It sometimes takes her a few days to get back to me, but I will definitely get you some info.

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling good. This is such an exciting time in your life, I'm happy that you are sharing it with us.
Be well, and do keep us updated on how you are faring.

Foofoogal

Banned
Hope this links works. Sounds like sound advice. Congratulations. How exciting. There does to be alot of pregnant women and babies everywhere lately where I live in Texas.
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070421024935AAkdxDg

When I was younger I used to knock neighborhood doors for March of Dimes. Worthy cause. I have been around so many babies in my life with huge family and taking care of children I can look at a newborn for about a minute and tell you how smart they will be. I think for babies as well as all of us nutrition is key to everything. In about 10 years I think people will be amazed at how much we don't know right now.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Daisy, thanks a ton! I really appreciate it! I wish I had a pastry chef in my family! Then again, it may be a good thing that I don't, I would pig out lol I appreciate that you are willing to do that for me!

It seems babies are everywhere. I don't know if it is because the children of the baby boom are having babies. Or maybe it is because I just care more about babies and notice them more now.

FooFoo, thanks for the link :) It is amazing how much more we know now than when my mom had me. She had no idea why she got dark patches of skin, why her hair fell out, or several other things.

I am amazed I came out as well as I did, my mom was sick the entire pregnancy and could only keep down soft boiled eggs and rice crispy treats :eek: My mother in law was so poor that they had one can in the cupboard for every day of the week! Of course, that is probably why my husband, when only one month premature, only weighed 5 pounds. But he is 6'2", perfect eye sight, perfect teeth, no joint problems, etc. It's amazing!

I have read a couple books about nutrition and pregnancy, and I am pretty sure that I am eating a well balanced diet. I just get stuck on what to snack on that is easy, healthy, and isn't the same all the time. My brain tends to get stuck on what it already knows sometimes, hehe

Kim_B

Practically Family
Celery with peanut butter? Don't know if you care for either of those, but they are snacks that keep me feeling satisfied and relatively healthy, especially if you use the all-natural peanut butter or almond butter or the like.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
ITC, you hit the nail on the head. Omega 3's are highly important. I have done quite a bit of reading about them, and I really, really believe in their importance. I have been taking a fish oil Omega 3 supplement for a year because they are vital for the body's functioning. Omega 3's are Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) that the body needs to build proteins and repair itself. The body can't produce them on its own.

Omega 6's are also an EFA that the body needs, but it is found in more foods, so people can get it easier, although a supplement is suggested for them as well. Some supplements contain both 3,6 and Omega 9. I am going to switch to one of those when my current supply is gone (500 capsules!).

Omega 3's are essential for heart health as well as for neurological health. It helps keep the synapses in the brain lubed or something like that lol It helps with mild depression, and helps prevent and treat post-partum depression. Because Omega 3's are good for the baby, moms don't have to worry about it showing up in breast milk.

Studies show that children whose mothers either ate fish or took supplements during pregnancy and breastfeeding have better verbal skills, better fine motor control, and on and on.

The baby will basically suck all the Omega 3's out of a mother's body (same with all the nutrients that the baby needs, of course) and leaves the mom with depleted levels if a supplement isn't taken. Low levels of EFAs in the body just sets the mom up for some depression after the baby is born, because she has none left. It takes about 2 weeks of taking a supplement (if a person is very low in EFAs to start with) to get enough of a concentration for it to start really making a difference.

The good thing about mercury is that it is water soluble, which means it gets into the flesh, but not the oil, of a fish. Also, mercury and other toxins bio-accumulate. Big fish eat lots of little fish that have only traces of toxins, and they accumulate the traces in their bodies. So the supplements that I take are from small fish, like anchovies, herrings, and mackerels. In addition, the oil has been micro-filtered, so I am pretty confidant it is safe.

One study I read said that the benefits of eating fish while pregnant out weight the possible negative side effects. Just be smart about the species being chosen :)

If a person is vegetarian, flax seed is the next best source of Omega 3's. Black Currant oil is very high in Omega 6.

So, anyway, another of the topics that I feel strongly about, in case you can't tell. Boy, I sure am a passionate, opinionated person, aren't I? lol

From BBC News
Eating less than 12oz (340g) of fish and seafood a week was associated with a 48% increased risk of children being in the lowest group for verbal intelligence.

Low fish and seafood intake during pregnancy was also associated with increased risk of poorer behavior, motor, communication and social development scores.

The lower the consumption of fish, the higher the risk of poorer scores on the neurodevelopmental tests, said the researchers.

Article from Web MD

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie asked about how my pregnancy is going in the "Show us what you made thread" and I didn't want to hijack the thread :)

Miss Dottie, it is going quite well, thanks! I am 30 weeks today, so only 10 more weeks to go. I am due the 3rd of January. Boy the time has gone by fast!

I had been pretty symptom free, but no one can escape the aches of the third trimester :) Nothing major, but I swear, I should buy stock in Tums, I eat them like candy! At 20 weeks I had a marginal placenta previa (my placenta was touching my cervix) but it got pulled away as the uterus grew, so I don't have to have a c-section. Yay!

We actually found out that our baby is in the 91st percentile for weight, so they doctor is predicting about a 9 lb baby. Pretty sizable :) So I am actually knitting a second sweater in a larger size, just in case the newborn size doesn't fit!

Thanks for asking, Dottie!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Sounds like you're doing well, Goldleaf. I know you probably can't wait for these next 10 weeks to go by, but enjoy the sleep while you can! :) I'm in my 14th week now, happy to be through with the 1st trimester!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Sweet Leilani said:
Sounds like you're doing well, Goldleaf. I know you probably can't wait for these next 10 weeks to go by, but enjoy the sleep while you can! :) I'm in my 14th week now, happy to be through with the 1st trimester!

Was the first trimester tough on you? Mine was so easy I shouldn't say anything, I don't want to rub it in, hehehe ;) lol

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
It wasn't too bad- I never got really sick but I had a lot of food aversions. Like you I just couldn't even look at meat (particularly pork chops-blech!) and I wasn't too keen on a lot of veggies. Basically, all I wanted to eat was carbs! :eek: And that's not a good thing, because I had gestational diabetes the first time around... But I just passed an early test for that, so I'm clear until at least 26 weeks (but you should see the bruises on my arms from that 3-hr test! :( ) Right now, I'm still really tired, but starting to perk up a bit. Having a 2.75-year old running around this time is really keeping me in shape!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
OH, I'm SO glad things are going well for you, Goldleaf! I think about it almost every time I see you on the boards. So exciting! And 9 lbs--well, you must be doing OK!

And congrats Sweet Leilani! Hurrah for getting through the first trimester.

I hope to be doing my baby knitting next year, so please wish me luck come January 2008!

BTW, what about pictures of the nursery Goldleaf? Tee hee!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie, I do hope you will be doing your baby knitting, too! I know it has been a long road for you as well. I can relate to how hard each month must be, I hope that what ever has been standing in your way gets a move on soon!

I actually don't have a nursery ::sigh:: We live in a small one bedroom apartment with a den, so no painting and no dedicated room for the baby. Our den has two computer desks since we both have a computer, along one wall. On the opposite wall is the dresser we will use as a changing table, and the rocker-glider. The bassinet is set up in the bedroom, next to the bed. Cozy :)

When our lease expires at the end of April, we will have to decide if we can
afford a bigger place where we could actually fit a crib, or if we want to stay put and get even more creative with our layout. We love the place we live now, and the price can't be beat for the quality. But all the apartments are very small, so there isn't a bigger floor plan to move into.

This is all temporary. Mr. Leaf will be finishing his Masters in about a year, so we are hoping things will change then. Also, my mom wants to retire and move from New York in a couple of years. We are probably going to do a traditional extended-family living arrangement and purchase a house together. My mom is an incredible lady, she beat an unbeatable cancer and two serious heart attacks. She has severe osteoporosis and an inner ear disorder that makes her dizzy. I worry about her in the snow and cold of upstate New York - by Canada.

Mom LOVES kids and has her Masters in early childhood education, and ran a childcare center for years. She knows her child development, and has offered to take care of the munchkin until school starts. There is no one in this world that would be a better role model or provide a better start than my mom.

Mom has said she would get a feeling of being needed and having something to do after retirement, and she feels like she will be contributing to the family to justify her living with us. Plus, what she will put toward a mortgage will be much less than what she would spend on living arrangements elsewhere, and she will have access to some of the best health care in the country. I get the peace of mind of having her near me, one of my closest friends, a fabulous grandmother, and some help with the mortgage payments. We think it will be a win-win situation.

Gosh, I am always so chatty, huh? I swear, I could blabber on all day :eek: lol

BonnieJean

Practically Family
GoldLeaf said:
I actually don't have a nursery ::sigh:: We live in a small one bedroom apartment with a den, so no painting and no dedicated room for the baby. Our den has two computer desks since we both have a computer, along one wall. On the opposite wall is the dresser we will use as a changing table, and the rocker-glider. The bassinet is set up in the bedroom, next to the bed. Cozy :)

Goldleaf, when I came along (many years ago), my parents had been married a little over a year and my dad had just gotten laid off from the factory. They lived in a very tiny 1 bedroom house. The warmest room was the bathroom and that's where they set up my bassinet. When I outgrew the bassinet, my bed was a dresser drawer for a while in their bedroom. There wasn't room for a crib. I don't think I turned out so bad. And I love cozy places! As long as there is lots of love in the home, nursery or no nursery, your baby will be happy and thrive!
Happy pushing!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you need a maternity coat?

I mean, anyone need a maternity coat?
Before I put it on Ebay... it's gray with blond fur trim, and pretty! I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran