Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Deeds: Done Any Lately?

amador

A-List Customer
I just sent $1500 to my ex-wife so she can delay getting evicted from her house even tho she can behave like a female of the canine persuasion. Adios dinero.

Gromulus

Practically Family
My wife now and then encounters a dog whose owner asks that it be euthanized for reasons that are sometimes justifiable, sometimes not. When the case falls into the second category, and the dog has some days, weeks, or months, of more happy living to be done, she'll ask the owner to release the pet to her for care. Then she treats it and brings it home. The latest household addition is Bear, who is 16, arthritic, half blind, all deaf, and still manages to romp around exhibiting sheer joy. Then he crashes for hours:

4914f12f69f761c81326642847.jpeg

A little late to this thread, but how cute! What a great service to provide comfort and love to an animal in it's golden years.

Our famly has a soft spot for animals as well. We have taken in several stray cats over the years, letting them live in our garage. The accommodations are really not bad. I purchased heated pads for them to sleep on in the winter, use portable heaters when cold, and feed them canned food. They get brushed on a semi-regular basis, a trip to the vet when necessary, and lots of love from me and our three girls. While we have had dogs, cats, birds, fish, frogs, and hamsters over the years - my wife has never really been into pets but she does appreciate the outdoor cats' efforts in controlling the rodent population.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
This injured gray baby squirrel had the good fortune to be found by us on a walk through the park. My wife has some wildlife rehab experience. The little dude will be fine. :)

Saved a Canadian goose tangled in some fishing line,the animal was struggling to stay afloat,waded out to my chest to untangle the dying thing.A few seconds and she was on her way!My father always said to me never let an animal suffer...

Justin B

One Too Many
I know I've mentioned it on occation here, but I'm part of a Star Wars costuming group called the Mandalorian Mercs. We're a world wide organization who costume not for our own enjoyment (though it is fun) but to raise money and awareness for various charities.

I was lucky enough a few months ago to have been made aware of a 10 year old boy who had an inoperable brain tumor. Was told he loved star Wars morre than anything and had seen one of our members at an event at his school and wanted to be a Mandalorian so much. Once we found out members from as far away as New Zealand contributed parts or funds to build him his very own costume. I was blessed to have gotten to build the final piece...the helmet. It was delivered to him and he immediately had to wear it. The very next day he had to leave home to go to Childrens in Memphis to participate in a clinical trial of a new medication that they hoped would help shrink his tumor. On August 27th after a valiant struggle, unable to breath on his own and having lost his eyesight and hearing he took his final rest. His parents let us know that in his short life, getting that armor was his greatest joy. That's why I do what I do. It's not being a do-gooder, it's simply trying to make a small difference in a bigger world.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's cool Justin B. Terminal/Possibly terminal kids deserve the best everyone can give them during the time they have.

m0nk

One Too Many
I found an Iphone at the park the other day. It was locked, so I couldn't figure out the owner's name or number. It's service provider is AT&T, so I dropped it off at the nearest store.
My son and I found a Verizon phone last weekend in the park where he was having a cub scout event, so we gave it to the Scoutmaster hoping he could find the owner. It wasn't someone there for the event, but I didn't even think about taking it to the store.

Justin B

One Too Many
Wow, that's a beautiful story, Justin. I hope you don't mind that I shared it with my family.

Don't mind at all. He has actually inspired a new initiative our organization is trying to get off the ground to do the same for other kids.

That's cool Justin B. Terminal/Possibly terminal kids deserve the best everyone can give them during the time they have.

Absolutely. I do about five events a year geared towards terminally ill children. I also have been blessed the last couple years to take part in the Snowball Express event, which is for children and family of servicemen and women killed in combat.

Justin B

One Too Many
I dunno about being an inspiration. If what I do inspires you to go out and do something to make a difference, but it's not because of me...it's because of what good can be accomplished. Everyone can add a little good to the world if you just take time away from yourself to help make someone else's day a tiny bit better. Smiles are free.

A younger friend of mine got married and has a son less than a year old now(the apple of his eye) and drives a semi all across the country while renting a nice smaller home next to a church. A few weeks ago he started seeing spots before his eyes. Since he is a truck driver..and must see to drive..he rushed to the ER. Found out he had Diabetes. They gave him medication..but so far the spots still remain. He can't work..since he can't drive. No income. No money for gas..and getting close to no funds for food. To top it off they sold the empty church..and since he lives in the old parsonage that goes with the church building..they informed him they must move out by Jan 1. Wow..Merry Christmas,huh. After thinking about this for a few minutes..and looking at his little son..I knew what I must do. Contemplating that I am very blessed..although not rich by any means..I mentioned my plan to my wife. She agreed..and I sent him a christmas card with a nice hefty four figure check included. He was floored and tearful on the phone with his thanks a few days later. If I could have easily sent cash anonymously..I would have prefered that..since no thanks would have been needed.
I'm not typing this looking for kudos. I already have my reward. I'm just thinking that many of us..or some of us could do something similar..and make someone's day..brighten someone's Christmas. It's so easy to just let some go to someone who is worried and desperate...then sit back and feel good at heart. I'm so glad that I didn't over think it or toss it around until I talked myself out of it. It's so good to give..free of charge..and care about other's dilemma every once in awhile..
Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner