Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good source for Vintage Watches?

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have not worn a watch in many years. Even then I would wear very common inexpensive watches as I always worked as an equipment technician in the semiconductor industry. I was always bumping, scraping, etc my watches. Now I no longer work on equipment. I have moved on to more of an engineering roll. Anyway, I want to start wearing a watch again. I am a MAC Man so started looking at Apple Watches. The one I would want would cost me $900 plus I would have to have cellular fees that I don't want. I moved on to looking at new watches and am not really impressed. I like classic styling to go with my fedora collection. So I thought why not get a really good vintage watch for under $900 and it wouldn't need to be upgraded every two years. So that's where I am now. I'm looking for a good vintage watch. The problem is I know practically nothing about them other than I know what I like - look wise. Can some of you "vintage watch" people point me to reputable dealers?

HarryLime

Familiar Face
I'm actually a vintage watch dealer by profession. I won't promote my business here but we can DM if you'd like. $900 is a pretty low starting point in this market, to be honest. You'll be able to find some old Seikos and Timex's for around there. Maybe a cool Sea Wolf or Devil Diver. Check out r/watchexchange on Reddit, there's often lots of cheaper watches on there.

Bill Hughes

I'm actually a vintage watch dealer by profession. I won't promote my business here but we can DM if you'd like. $900 is a pretty low starting point in this market, to be honest. You'll be able to find some old Seikos and Timex's for around there. Maybe a cool Sea Wolf or Devil Diver. Check out r/watchexchange on Reddit, there's often lots of cheaper watches on there.
Thanks for the reply. Like I said I have just started looking into the idea of a vintage watch.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Surprised if you didn’t go for one of these, Bill.

Attachments

• C752BA27-7E67-40DA-95FE-907502F635B0.png
    C752BA27-7E67-40DA-95FE-907502F635B0.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
The catalog/ad name....I only have a couple of Hamiltons....I am heavy into Boluva's (there is a site dedicated to them) and we compare our watches to the retail listings and ads and service manuals that are available and often arrive at the actual model name (also most Boluva's are actually code dated) .
Here is a page about your watch which in 1948 sold for $66!!
Here is a pick of some of my Boluva's....the one in the left is a 1936 "Senator", the Middle is a 1940 "Dean" with original bracelet, and on the right a 1949 "Shoreham".....Be careful.....you can get hooked on these old watches and their history!!!;)
1648730592961.png

Bill Hughes

The catalog/ad name....I only have a couple of Hamiltons....I am heavy into Boluva's (there is a site dedicated to them) and we compare our watches to the retail listings and ads and service manuals that are available and often arrive at the actual model name (also most Boluva's are actually code dated) .
Here is a page about your watch which in 1948 sold for $66!!
Here is a pick of some of my Boluva's....the one in the left is a 1936 "Senator", the Middle is a 1940 "Dean" with original bracelet, and on the right a 1949 "Shoreham".....Be careful.....you can get hooked on these old watches and their history!!!;) View attachment 414739
Great information. Thanks.

Bill Hughes

Very, very nice watch! Please be so kind to post a live pic once it arrived.

Below just a little input about your movement.

Hamilton 747
The watch arrived today. It's a beauty for sure. It does have one problem. The band is too short for me. I have already ordered a replacement. I tried to post a "live" photo so the second hand movement could be seen but, the size is too big. I can post some photos but not a video unless someone can tell me how to reduce the size of a video.

IMG_0861.jpeg IMG_0868.jpeg

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Like you I love vintage watches, but I don't have $900 to spend on a watch...I opted for a new Timex that is a reissue of a 60s watch, the Marlin. Manual wind, simple design, but I think it has an understated simple elegance.

Bill Hughes

So is it ok to get refurbished watches? I realize they need to be cleaned and oiled on occasion. But, what about people / shops who buy old pieces and refurbish them piecing together parts? I've seen movements in watches that don't match up with the Hamilton chart I was given. Or dials that have been painted a different color?

Bill
So is it ok to get refurbished watches? I realize they need to be cleaned and oiled on occasion. But, what about people / shops who buy old pieces and refurbish them piecing together parts? I've seen movements in watches that don't match up with the Hamilton chart I was given. Or dials that have been painted a different color?
Bill,
That is entirely up to YOU. If you want a relativly inexpesive watch that looks great, to wear about and just enjoy and not worry about they are just fine.

For collectors and purists who want bragging rites and history the value of such watches is lost almost entirely (think "FrankenWatch") and not desirable......

Yahoody

One Too Many
I have working vintage watches from the late 1800s up to 1980s. And a nice "modern" watch as well. I was unaware until recently that there is an entire cottage industry building bespoke watches of every sort with modern and extremely accurate mechanical movements. As well as assortment of factory, "re-issue" style watches. Most any of them can be had for $500 to $600. All of them are watches your kids could wear when you are long gone.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I have not worn a watch in many years. Even then I would wear very common inexpensive watches as I always worked as an equipment technician in the semiconductor industry. I was always bumping, scraping, etc my watches. Now I no longer work on equipment. I have moved on to more of an engineering roll. Anyway, I want to start wearing a watch again. I am a MAC Man so started looking at Apple Watches. The one I would want would cost me $900 plus I would have to have cellular fees that I don't want. I moved on to looking at new watches and am not really impressed. I like classic styling to go with my fedora collection. So I thought why not get a really good vintage watch for under $900 and it wouldn't need to be upgraded every two years. So that's where I am now. I'm looking for a good vintage watch. The problem is I know practically nothing about them other than I know what I like - look wise. Can some of you "vintage watch" people point me to reputable dealers?
I have working vintage watches from the late 1800s up to 1980s. And a nice "modern" watch as well. I was unaware until recently that there is an entire cottage industry building bespoke watches of every sort with modern and extremely accurate mechanical movements. As well as assortment of factory, "re-issue" style watches. Most any of them can be had for $500 to $600. All of them are watches your kids could wear when you are long gone mobile welder atlanta.
I'm looking for some vintage watches, particularly seikos. Are the lord marvels on ebay legitimate for the most part? I'd also be interested in maybe some vintage chinese watches or watches from other countries. Really only need one but like to shop and see what calls to me. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff