Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear-abouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I have not read every post so this may have been covered.
Yes he is a one man operation as far as I know, I doubt if this would happen but there are some other good machinists out there who are probably as good, maybe better than he that could help in his business and as long as the quality was in place, though maybe he just cannot allow it in his own head, a bit like Picasso letting someone else finish his painting off.
It would speed things up if he employed some staff to help out with the internet side of things, possibly family. Does anyone know the man that intimately?
Looks like this hobby has outgrown itself.
Waiting two or three years would be too long for me, I may like what I like now but in that time I could gain or loose weight and think that jacket does not suit me as well as it did, my interests could change so I would miss out on that jacket should I change my mind. Sort of reminds me of an associate whom ordered a Jaguar XJ 220 when it was only in the proto stage. The orders flooded in but the waiting time was also something like a couple of years that he eventually moved abroad and went onto other things.
Anyone in England remember Geronimo clothing? It was a husband and wife set up that custom made 50s styled shirts, trousers and gabardine jacket etc, they had a full book of styles and specially woven material. They just had too many orders to fill and sort of gave up for a few years. Now they have only a few off the peg designs and keep it simple.
Cheers, J.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, if people do that they would be put on the priority list. I tried getting a refund but never got an answer and it was to late to do a dispute on PayPal. I was fed up waiting so I cracked and paid the increase. The hat is beautiful but it let a sour taste in my mouth...

Some people ordered in 2008 and still don’t have their hat.
I understand Steve situation but it is still unacceptable...

Honestly, thats a complete disgrace...

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I have not read every post so this may have been covered.
Yes he is a one man operation as far as I know, I doubt if this would happen but there are some other good machinists out there who are probably as good, maybe better than he that could help in his business and as long as the quality was in place, though maybe he just cannot allow it in his own head, a bit like Picasso letting someone else finish his painting off.
It would speed things up if he employed some staff to help out with the internet side of things, possibly family. Does anyone know the man that intimately?
Looks like this hobby has outgrown itself.
Waiting two or three years would be too long for me, I may like what I like now but in that time I could gain or loose weight and think that jacket does not suit me as well as it did, my interests could change so I would miss out on that jacket should I change my mind. Sort of reminds me of an associate whom ordered a Jaguar XJ 220 when it was only in the proto stage. The orders flooded in but the waiting time was also something like a couple of years that he eventually moved abroad and went onto other things.
Anyone in England remember Geronimo clothing? It was a husband and wife set up that custom made 50s styled shirts, trousers and gabardine jacket etc, they had a full book of styles and specially woven material. They just had too many orders to fill and sort of gave up for a few years. Now they have only a few off the peg designs and keep it simple.
Cheers, J.
You don’t make a final choice on the jacket type and size until right before John makes it.

- Ian

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
This is not a recent photo but at least I have my TN jacket on so it’s not completely OT.

ba29747c7bb1d9dc9be8c0327197bef0.jpg

Nice hat! Wait, what jacket is that?

Mich486

One Too Many
I'm impatient and have a short attention span......also, I doubt what I wanted 2 years ago is what I would like now.....GW is not for me! And man, imagine opening up that parcel and trying it on after that long wait.....the scope for disappointment is too high.

This crazy wait it’s one hell of a commitment. Not for me either as my taste in clothing keeps evolving. Also while his jackets are without any doubt gorgeous there is plenty of alternatives from other great makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
Seems like FL, while respectful, doesn't pull any punches regarding the pros and cons of jackets and jacket makers. That said I don't seem to recall anyone saying anything bad about a GW jacket. Granted I've never seen one in the flesh but am I the only one that thinks the fits on the jackets all seem a little relaxed? I do like slim fitting clothes so I'm sure that's a part of it but even the J-100 (which is slim fitting by almost any maker) seems to be on the relaxed boxy side.

Goodwear's quality is second to none. John patterns his jackets off of originals which might fit differently than what you see from many modern makers. That said, each jacket is made to order from measurements that the customer provides. John often will re-make or alter a jacket to suit a customer's tastes. It is tricky to get a person's preferred fit without a try-on process or in-person measuring. Sometimes ordering a custom jacket over the internet can be a multi-step process.

Last edited:
I'm impatient and have a short attention span......also, I doubt what I wanted 2 years ago is what I would like now.....GW is not for me! And man, imagine opening up that parcel and trying it on after that long wait.....the scope for disappointment is too high.
I completely agree with this sentiment, that said, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a disappointed GW customer (outside those waiting in the queue).

marmalademan

Banned
If John has the customer's accurate measurements and permission to do his thing then what comes out is something especially good.

It's when customers start asking for extra length that isn't in fact needed, that classic vintage patterns tend to go tits up. I've seen it a few times and it's always very very sad.

El Marro

I hear you! Fortunately you do not have to decide which jacket you want until your time is up. I put my deposit down convinced that I wanted an Aero A-2. Since then I have acquired two Goodwear A-2s off eBay and I've come to the conclusion that I'm not as big an A-2 fan as I thought I was (heresy, I know). My current plan is an Arcadia in Shinki horsehide color and lining tbd.
As far as disappointment upon opening the box, I hear that John is very good about working with the customer to make sure that the jacket meets or exceeds expectations.
I realize that it's not for everyone, but I'm still waiting patiently, and buying tons of jackets in the meantime!

tropicalbob

Seems like FL, while respectful, doesn't pull any punches regarding the pros and cons of jackets and jacket makers. That said I don't seem to recall anyone saying anything bad about a GW jacket. Granted I've never seen one in the flesh but am I the only one that thinks the fits on the jackets all seem a little relaxed? I do like slim fitting clothes so I'm sure that's a part of it but even the J-100 (which is slim fitting by almost any maker) seems to be on the relaxed boxy side.
One aspect of it may be that the various original makers had slightly different fits and styles, and another is that these jackets were designed for very young guys in top physical condition, and, well,...

tropicalbob

Yes, if people do that they would be put on the priority list. I tried getting a refund but never got an answer and it was to late to do a dispute on PayPal. I was fed up waiting so I cracked and paid the increase. The hat is beautiful but it let a sour taste in my mouth...

Some people ordered in 2008 and still don’t have their hat.
I understand Steve situation but it is still unacceptable...
That is a very nice-looking hat. I've been on the FL for some years now, though, and I can't remember a time when it didn't seem like a problem trying to get a hat from him, and also when his prices didn't seem a bit excessive. I've had such great experiences with several other hatters that I wonder why people still order from him, given the wait, the cost, and the problems.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ton312, I agree with you that I have never seen a customer express dissatisfaction with a finished jacket, but...
There are always jackets that customers didn't want on the GW sale page, and people are always selling them on. Superfluous is selling his GW on right now. So clearly people aren't as satisfied as they appear.

True. But I wouldn't say super is dissatisfied with his GW but rather more satisfied with other jackets, rendering his GW less desirable by comparison. Don't mean to speak for the man but that's what I gather from his posts anyway. I suspect people who are truly disappointed send them back straight away and thus the sale page.
Either way it seems the feasibility of fulfilling all these orders is beginning to slip away from reality. I hope GW can find a way to stabilize their model while continuing to offer such fine products. Speaking only to the very narrow scope of patterns in the GW catalog I'd consider. They are really quite spectacular. Certainly a long shot for me given my size and pattern preference but a treat for the eyes none the less.

tropicalbob

I'd imagine that some people get tired of waiting, or that their financial situation changes during the wait, or they've gained weight and when the jacket arrives it doesn't fit. Also, a lot of people these days simply want something new and are in the habit of "moving things on." I think it says quite a lot that we've never seen a negative review of one of his jackets.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
@ton312, yeah, I absolutely agree with all you said there.

@tropicalbob, yep, I think you're right about some of those reasons for moving some on.
As for having never seen a negative review, well, that's a mystery, isn't it? So many unwanted GW jackets becoming second, third hand bargains.

Superfluous

There are always jackets that customers didn't want on the GW sale page, and people are always selling them on. Superfluous is selling his GW on right now. So clearly people aren't as satisfied as they appear.
True. But I wouldn't say super is dissatisfied with his GW but rather more satisfied with other jackets, rendering his GW less desirable by comparison. Don't mean to speak for the man but that's what I gather from his posts anyway.

I definitely am NOT dissatisfied with my GW Imperial. Rather, I am dissatisfied with the specifications that I provided to John, and which he diligently complied with. I love the design of the jacket (Sears Hercules), the Shinki HH, and John's impeccable workmanship. I elected to sell the jacket for two reasons: (a) I have too many jackets and do not wear any of them nearly enough; and (2) my GW Imperial is a tad too long in front.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, I have changed my mind and elected to retain my GW Imperial. It is simply too good to let go. Moreover, someone capable of replicating John's artisan methods has graciously agreed to modify the front of the jacket to better fit me, and we are currently working out the details. More to follow.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
One aspect of it may be that the various original makers had slightly different fits and styles, and another is that these jackets were designed for very young guys in top physical condition, and, well,...

Not sure how often it was a case of guys being in 'top physical condition' - it's more a case of young people being thin, eating less, moving more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points