Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear, Fave Contracts.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Hi Charles, if you're looking for a special VT-8 artifact, the Smithsonian museum has the M-421 cotton jacket worn by Ensign George Gay (sole survivor of VT-8) on display. It's faded, a bit dirty and quite weathered, but after his exploits at the Battle of Midway, it's amazing that the cloth jacket is still intact and in decent shape. The sight of his jacket, worn in combat during the Battle of Midway and the harrowing 30 hours adrift in the Pacific after ditching (and subsequent strafing by Japanese fighter planes!) gave me goosebumps.

Thanks, pal! I think my reaction would be like yours. I'd love to see this and shall put it on my list for this year when I'm down hitting NARA. Gay's story is incredible, and while there's some revisionism at work now that claims he couldn't have had quite the ringside seat to the entire battle as he claimed, whatever really happened, just surviving is incredible enough.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles, you know I'm honestly not sure? I was there twice last year but there is so much to take in I couldn't tell you if there is VT-8 memorabilia on it or not? It's well worth the visit no matter what though. As is the lesser known museum on shore just a few hundred yards away from the Hornet.

Thank you, Devilish!

Brettafett

One Too Many
Heres a comparison between my GW RW 1401 on left and my new ELC RW 1401 on right. These jackets were purchased months apart between late 2015 and 2016.
GW vs ELC RW1401 comparrison.png
I will be honest, they are both exceptional jackets, but for me, my ELC narrowly beats the GW.

As for top GWs... Hard to pick one.
I love the look of the Monarch, Star and Bronco. Still like his RW1401.
I would need to try them all on ;)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yeah, just shows how good both these makers are!
Only have the ELC. Its my single and sole A-2 jacket (not to say there won't be another in the future ;)

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Congrsts on the order, Craig. Looks like you and me can share our GW jacket love 1.5-2 years from now. I put in an order for a Bronco last November, can't believe it's only been three months. Did you ever consider the Bronco? Coolest A-2 out there IMO. I just changed my order to a Modoc the other day. That jacket just...does it for me, in every single way.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Heres a comparison between my GW RW 1401 on left and my new ELC RW 1401 on right. These jackets were purchased months apart between late 2015 and 2016.
View attachment 45512 I will be honest, they are both exceptional jackets, but for me, my ELC narrowly beats the GW.

As for top GWs... Hard to pick one.
I love the look of the Monarch, Star and Bronco. Still like his RW1401.
I would need to try them all on ;)

Agreed, I think the ELC suits your frame better. Both phenomenal though.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Congrsts on the order, Craig. Looks like you and me can share our GW jacket love 1.5-2 years from now. I put in an order for a Bronco last November, can't believe it's only been three months. Did you ever consider the Bronco? Coolest A-2 out there IMO. I just changed my order to a Modoc the other day. That jacket just...does it for me, in every single way.

Not a better day on the Lounge when a dude gets a new GW. I love those threads. Congrats you two.

Marv

A-List Customer
cheers Andrew, the photos don't really do either jacket justice but I would say that the GW is bigger size wise compared to the ELC and has better hide (shinki) but the ELC fits a little better but still a bit too big though.

to be honest, I haven't worn an A2 since October last year and that was my Eastman RW, since then over winter it has been all Navy with my G1s (both original and repro) and N1 getting a lot of use until I got my ELC B-10 which just tops the lot for comfort and warmth, I can see why the USAAF pilots couldn't wait to swap their A2 for the B-10.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here are couple of shots of my GW RW 27752 (manufactured in 2013) and my Eastman RW 27752 (manufactured in 2011) both a tad too big on me now

Is it common for the guys into the military jackets to buy the same contract jacket just from different makers?

I'm just curious as it seems that would be like me buying a Buco J100 from Diamond Dave and another from John at Goodwear....this is something I would NEVER even consider, I'd rather get a completely different jacket style and not double up so to speak.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I saw a Star contract in American Classics on Friday and frankly the collar stitching was sub-par. I'm surprised it was allowed out of the factory.

Brettafett

One Too Many
The RW1401 is my fav A-2 contract. I sold all my jackets and waited 2 years for my GW, but when it arrived there were a couple of issues. In that time, ELC had revamped their RW1401 (and acquired their vintage havana hide, which is simply gorgeous). I happened to be in London and they had my size, so I tried one and was blown away. I needed slight lengthening, so that took a few weeks, but what I received is the best A-2 I have owned.
So, this is my one and only A-2 jacket. It took a while, and a few jackets, but I finally received what I was after.
I also own an ELC B-10, circa 2005. Its just my favourite jacket ever.

AdeeC

Practically Family
In the link below is the only Good Wear I own. A Security Aviation Togs A-2 which I bought from here about a year ago. I like it because it diverges significantly from my other A-2's whilst still being an A-2. Major differences from typical A-2's are;
Buttons instead of snaps on pockets.
What appears to be a silk lining.
Commercial manufacturers label.
Rudimentary Collar hook.
Grommet zipper larger size than usual.
The leather I believe is light russet Shinki which is much lighter than the photos. Almost a darker shade of tan. Fit to me appears more generous than the other early A-2's. Quality is outstanding as to be expected. Other than GW's SAT, Real McCoy's now have an almost exact very expensive new SAT version on sale. Not be confused with their not so accurate earlier version.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/good-wear-security-aviation-togs-leather-jacket-size-42.80881

Last edited:

Technonut

Practically Family
I'll add my GW Perry Sportswear 23377 to the mix. :) This contract was in goatskin, while the majority of Perry's were in horse. Distinguishing features include: (copied from Acme Depot & GW)
  • Collar stand for all contracts.
  • Short, rounded collar points.
  • Soft and shallow curves to pocket flaps, with stitch lines which are spaced farther than typical from the edge of the flap.
  • Three-piece inner wind flap on some jackets.
  • Open box-stitch reinforcment at top corners of pockets.
  • Some jackets in goatskin.
  • russet or seal horsehide/cowhide/goatskin
  • comfortable torso and slender arm ends
  • collar stand
  • large-gap top stitching around flaps and collar
  • pocket body with square re-enforcing stitching
  • no Perry we have seen has had a pocket tag
  • dull orange lining and dull reddish-brown thread color
  • ball stud snaps
  • mid-brown knits
  • Conmar and Crown zippers
They had one earlier and smaller contract that was mostly made using goatskin, and then this contract was evidently done in horsehide. The Perry design is very athletic and sharp, which compliments those who wear it. It's also roomy in the shoulders and sleeve tops, more like a modern jacket.
s.gif

The stitching style seen on Perrys is unique. The pocket flap top stitching has a wide gap from the edge, and that stitching only goes through two layers of leather (not the folded leather edge as most other makers), and the top stitching around the zipper and collar is quite close to the edge. No triangle stitching was done at the base of the zipper. Some Perry jackets have the leather of the wind flap built in three sections, rather than just one, which we do. Note the pocket body stitching at the top, which is a square, rather than the more common triangle.
s.gif

This contract was most often made using russet horsehide, a small number done in seal brown as well. The goatskin contract was done in russet.

This one sports the unique 3-piece inner wind flap, genuine vintage Conmar zipper, and NOS United Carr snaps. The hide used is VERY sturdy russet vegetable-tanned Indian goatskin, which is grainy, and a dead-ringer for period goatskin. ;)

I like the smaller collar with collar-stand construction, and the rounded tips. The roomier shoulders and sleeve tops make for about the most comfortable A-2 I've had the pleasure of owning. It is great for some layering, which makes the jacket more versatile for cold weather. Here is a link to pics when it was new. (JC plans on using these pics to represent this Perry contract on his site when he has the time ;) )

http://www.goodwearleather.com/perry_23377/

Here is a pic of me wearing it:

IMG_2806.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider