Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good Wear vs. Aero?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As one of the fanatics referred to earlier GW make the most accurate A2s on the market. You can pick a decent example up on Ebay thereby avoiding the two year wait.

I agree with Andrew; check the 'Bay or sometimes even here on TFL Classifieds and you might get lucky and find yourself a GW.

Just a note: Some people dont want a second hand jacket so the two month or two year wait is better than someone else's smelly armpits lingering.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Having had jackets from almost all the top makers, I would certainly not say Aero should be a 'stepping stone' to a GW. Yes, GW adds a few notches of authenticity, but Aeros are fantastic jackets. Well made and authentic enough for most of us. Consider an Aero made with the Italian hide and you have a premium jacket right there! (and won't have to wait for almost 2 years ;).
Bonus - you can get a fit jacket and nail the fit and feel of your jacket first time.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The solution to that is to ask the seller about the armpits!

Most people sweat in a leather jacket if it is worn on a hot day for example. I certainly would not take it off as long as I was comfortable just because it may loose some resale value. What I am getting at is that some wearers may simply not want to wear anything second hand and a two year wait may well be worth it, though a two month wait is a little easier to bear :)
Me? I would wear almost anything as long as it did not smell of smoke, booze, vomit or sweat. Petrol(gas), maybe.
I say order both, live in the Aero and when it is nicely beat up you will have the Goodwear to start all over again :)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I saw Sloan's Aero A-2 'Unknown Maker' 1756 contract that he received yesterday and am curious as to specifically what makes his jacket less "authentic" than a GW?

Fanch, I can't speak for Aero's authenticity these days, although Sloan's jacket is a beauty. What I can say is that when you get one of John's jackets, and the fit is just right...
It feels like the best jacket in the world! It's hard to explain. It's more the experience of having it on and feeling the joy.
Like I said, Aero makes a great jacket...I've had 2.

And I think a GW Ventura would round out your collection nicely.
:)

Last edited:

AdeeC

Practically Family
This has been discussed before but a big difference between Aero and other high end makers is in the stitching. Every Aero A2 I have seen have heavier guage stiching at around 7 stitches per inch. Most other makers including GW usually have tighter sticthing at around 8 or more stitches per inch. This affects the jacket aesthetics significantly. A simpler rugged look versus a more refined tailored look. Not a quality issue IMO. In original contracts there may have been either gauge of stitching I guess depending on the maker.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
No question as to the excellence of GW's A-2's. In the case of Sloan's 'Unknown Maker' 1756 contract A-2, we well might be comparing 10/10 products and was blown away with what I saw in his pictures in the other thread.

IRVIN-FAN

Banned
Both great makers, John cares a lot for details, zips, knits, labels, makers specifity, etc.
ALC great quality making as well, great skins and hides, zip boxes, zip it self, label, color of some knits , ok but very fancy.
Just compare on Ebay, full of both, John' s jackets sell higher and faster.
Hence get you both, dont wait.
Good luck

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Eastman makes great jackets too.

Their ELMC range just became a serious contender now that you can get the extra sleeve length through HPA. Those slightly short sleeves were the only thing that stopped me getting a Californian (sadly it happened too late for me, I don't need another half belt). But they are worth checking out imo.

DEV.Woulf

New in Town
Thanks for all the great comments.

If you go with the Aero get the brown FQHH: it's a beautiful deep brown that ages spectacularly.

Thinking of a brown & brown two-tone, on a Bootlegger if possible. Sort of like this, but darker. Might need to use the new Italian hides for that.

I agree with Andrew; check the 'Bay or sometimes even here on TFL Classifieds and you might get lucky and find yourself a GW.

I am aware of that, but I think I need a custom jacket. I am short and stocky and I usually wear size large but I would prefer if the sleeves were customized as they're always a little bit too long. I also want a slim cut to look nice, and custom colors and threading, etc....

Yep..I don't remember the OP even mentioning an A2...but some A2 zealots will skim right past that when the word Goodyear pops up....or even just leather jacket, for that matter.

Right, not for me at this moment. I love that companies go out of their way to make accurate bombers but right now I need something to dress up with.

This has been discussed before but a big difference between Aero and other high end makers is in the stitching. Every Aero A2 I have seen have heavier guage stiching at around 7 stitches per inch. Most other makers including GW usually have tighter sticthing at around 8 or more stitches per inch. This affects the jacket aesthetics significantly. A simpler rugged look versus a more refined tailored look. Not a quality issue IMO.

You know, I can see it. John's jackets, IMO, have more refinement to them than other jacket makers. They have that tailored look as you say. The casual line, such as the Ventura and Arcadia, are absolute tops if you're looking for a jacket to wear to a nice dinner or party. For me right now, the Bootlegger has more appeal than the Mojave due to it's more rugged look.

Eastman makes great jackets too.

I just had a good look at Eastman's collection. I did find this recent thread and it seems many think Eastman have better hides than Aero. Unfortunately, their jackets would make me feel less like I'm dressing up and more like I'm about to go on a nighttime raid over Germany. I do quite like their Rough Wear B-6 though, that being one I could see myself getting someday.

Thanks again for your opinions. I did not want to purchase an Aero if I was sacrificing quality but it appears I'm not. I will definitely purchase a GW someday, and my favorite is easily the Ventura. For now, an Aero Bootlegger, Sunburst, or Half Belt De-luxe Fur Collar seems to make more sense of what I am looking for, and going through TB for it is a no-brainer. I am starting a new workout plan and trying to lose some weight before I order. When I get there, I will ask for some advice on which jacket to purchase. When it comes in, you'll get some pictures. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21