Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodbye Polaroid!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sixty years after Polaroid introduced its first instant camera, the company's iconic film is disappearing from stores.

Although Polaroid says the film should be available into 2009, this is the final month of its last production year.

Let us morn the loss of so many instant family moments in the pre digital age.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/08/polaroid.farewell/index.html

http://www.switched.com/2008/02/08/polaroid-to-abandon-instant-film-products/2

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=apSoe2r9tJ7M&refer=us

LD

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Wow, that's like a physical blow. Even though I haven't taken a Polaroid snap in years, as a little kid I absolutely adored my Polaroid and carried it with me everywhere. I rarely had film, but when I did, I certainly used it every chance I got. I can't believe it's not going to be around anymore.

-Dave

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
You watch. Some company in China or Japan will start manufacturing it. It will wind up costing maybe twice as much as it did. Most people who still want or need Polaroids will consider it reasonable.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But haven't digital cameras and film enhancement software (Photoshop and the like) and glossy photo paper for home printers pretty much made all "film" cameras obsolete? You can snap a picture and immediately review it, rather than waiting an hour to a few days for standard film processing, or a few minutes for Polaroid to see the developed print. You can email a pic from a cell phone in the blink of an eye to almost anywhere in the world, instead of waiting days or weeks to mail a print.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
What's your point? Some of us here live for the obsolete!

I still shoot film all the time, and will continue to for as long as it's available. Yes, I'm surrounded by digital cameras (heck, my 89-year-old father the retired pro photographer is up to his fourth one), but I still greatly enjoy the entire old-school process, and the results - which have unique looks different from digital imaging.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
My great uncle Ray...

... was a friend of Dr. Land. The way that the camera/film got developed is interesting. Apparently, his granddaughter said something like: "But, grandpa I don't WANT to wait until the photos are developed. Can't I see them now?"

Hondo

One Too Many
They weren’t the best photography but they were fun, easy, and no waiting, you got it in a few seconds right one the spot!
I still have a few (used) from way back,
I hope someone comes up with a digital camera
much like the instamatic land cameras or Polaroids :cry:

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Poloroid balck and white is pretty cool, color never looked all that good and could not compete against digital. But those cool black and white shiny pics wht the large white border, classic.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
But haven't digital cameras and film enhancement software (Photoshop and the like) and glossy photo paper for home printers pretty much made all "film" cameras obsolete?

Polaroid cameras, maybe. But not standard film cameras. Serious photographers know that even an advanced DSLR camera can't compete with film. Part of the editing process (i.e. some of the things one can do in Photoshop) actually takes place in the darkroom. Besides, working long hours in the darkroom is fun! :)

NH

Adele

One of the Regulars
Nighthawk said:
Besides, working long hours in the darkroom is fun! :)

NH

I completely agree with that!

On a side note, does anyone get unusually hungry while working in the darkroom, or is that just me? Maybe it's the chemicals...

Hondo

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Poloroid balck and white is pretty cool, color never looked all that good and could not compete against digital. But those cool black and white shiny pics wht the large white border, classic.

Wasn't that also a swinger? I had gotten one for Christmas when I was a kid, later I moved up to buy folding color Poloroid.
But the B/W ones were cool and fun to use, not at all like digital.
Poloroid spells Fun!!! :eusa_clap

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There was indeed a Polaroid Swinger, a simple plastic snapshooter aimed at the "youth market" circa 1970.

Ah, the old b/w Polaroid process with the smelly fixative... I can't tell you how many b/w test prints we used to shoot with the Polaroid back on our 4x5 Graphic View when my dad the pro was doing 4x5 color transparencies.

And the earlier 50s/60s folding bellows Polaroid cameras are really beautiful machines. My parents have a bunch of them, most given to them by friends cleaning out their basements over the years. (At some point in the next year or two, I'm going to be giving away most of these as display pieces, so watch this space!)

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The Police also use Polaroid at crime and accident scenes. I suppose they'll have to get some sort of portable printer for digital cameras. I bought some Polaroid film only to discover that my fathers camera was a Polaroid SPECTRA which doesn't take the Polaroid 600 film which is the only kind that seems to be available on store shelves. SPECTRA film is available IF you don't mind spending about $30 for a single pack of ten shots!
JimInSoCalif said:
Polaraid was/is used my pro photographers using cameras with removable backs to get test shots of lighting for product shots. I wonder what they will do.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I can see why the instant Polaroid is going away. Most digital cams get a better photo, and are just as instant. Many professions (like crime scene units) have switched to digital, and the role is well filled.

However, I know a few shutter-bugs, including my Uncle who used to be a professional photog. Simple fact is, even the best digitals can't replace all film for everything. There are some jobs that only film will do right. My Uncle went as far as to admit that digital is better or equal for many things (with the right equipment), but he always has film handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart