Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goodwear Leathers, the waiting starts...

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, I hear you... Same with me. Different kind of same. It's not about the quality for me, though, at least not that kind of quality and at least not to such an extent - sure, quality as in durability of the jacket, of course, but I will happily ignore any flaws in the construction as long as the jacket is exactly the style I want to wear. And yeah, nobody but myself knows or cares about any of the jackets I wear, but myself - and knowing that I'm wearing exactly the jacket I want to wear puts a smile on my face.

So I really want a Brooks style jacket. Any brand that does the style will do it for me. Can't say why but I know that having it would make me happier than and I guess that's where my point of view comes from and perhaps collides with the perspective of some other members, as the price and / or the exclusiveness of the materials does not mean much to me, but the passion for a certain type of jacket is still there and it's the same. I mean, just reading DudeWTH's posts makes me happy, how passionate the man is about his jackets. So I admit that I was wrong to hint that anyone here might exhibit elitist mentality and for that I apologize. The things we here may seek from our jackets may slightly differentiate, but essentially, it's all the same (weird) path we're all on.

Very well said, and I appreciate the kind words. I definitely hope I never came off as elitist in any way. I have seen many Aeros, AL's, and even Schotts that look really awesome, they just aren't what I personally prefer.

That last sentence in particular is so accurate and well put that I think I may have to sig it.

And yes, I do very much dislike BK - not only for their general behavior, but specifically their treatment of jacket makers and forum members that I know and have come to admire.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
While I'm not into boutique jackets I don't think there is anything wrong with elitism if it means celebrating the best. I'm an elitist in a range of areas, music, literature, just not jackets. What isn't nice is snobbery and disregarding other's tastes. Elitism doesn't have to look down on others but it does elevate the best.

Very well said, and I appreciate the kind words. I definitely hope I never came off as elitist in any way. I have seen many Aeros, AL's, and even Schotts that look really awesome, they just aren't what I personally prefer.

That last sentence in particular is so accurate and well put that I think I may have to sig it.

And yes, I do very much dislike BK - not only for their general behavior, but specifically their treatment of jacket makers and forum members that I know and have come to admire.

lol man, I'm honoured. And don't worry, I never thought you ever came off as elitist but with the fit of your jackets, some would only compliment it further.

Seriously, though, it's great you know exactly what you want from your jackets. I don't, really... Well, maybe, but the problem is, the perfection for me would be a jacket made from like four other jackets.
Like for example, that cheapo leather I've mentioned in another thread, but with the right hardware, those gigantic Talon zipper of the early Brooks, for example... Etc. And there isn't really anyone who does all that.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
lol man, I'm honoured. And don't worry, I never thought you ever came off as elitist but with the fit of your jackets, some would only compliment it further.

Seriously, though, it's great you know exactly what you want from your jackets. I don't, really... Well, maybe, but the problem is, the perfection for me would be a jacket made from like four other jackets.
Like for example, that cheapo leather I've mentioned in another thread, but with the right hardware, those gigantic Talon zipper of the early Brooks, for example... Etc. And there isn't really anyone who does all that.

It took me a while and a few mistakes to finally discover the types of jackets I really wanted as well.

Maybe one day someone will make that exact jacket for you someday!

thekiyote

Familiar Face
To resurrect a dead thread, you ever get the Good Wear jacket? It's been right around the waiting period

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That two year wait kills me every time I'm reminded of goodwear :(

Would love one of his jackets
I felt the same way at first but I finally put my deposit down about 14 months ago. Since then I have bought another 8 or 12 jackets (hard to keep track) and the wait has gone by much quicker than I imagined.

thekiyote

Familiar Face
Thats weird, I'm 27 months in and only just now starting the process. Just picked my zippers.

That's what he told me last week when I put down my deposit. It could be that the waiting list is shorter right now than when you got on, or he was being overly optimistic.

I could never do it...my mind would race, I'd be sorely tempted to change things then change them back again, second guess every decision, the model I want...too much time for me. If you can set it and forget it your a stronger person than I. I do review the sale page from time to time with a glimmer of hope in my eye.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I go through phases where I'll rummage a bit obsessively through John's contract list, usually when I hit a milestone on the period - six months, 12 months etc. I also look for recent pics of jackets, just to see the most up-to-date contract patterns.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I could never do it...my mind would race, I'd be sorely tempted to change things then change them back again, second guess every decision, the model I want...too much time for me. If you can set it and forget it your a stronger person than I. I do review the sale page from time to time with a glimmer of hope in my eye.

Honestly i don't even think about it.... The way John does it is pretty good, you put your money down for the spot in the queue, but only start talking design once you get to the end of the line.
That way you don't need to second guess yourself or worry about changing measurements and tastes.
When i put my deposit down i had the Californian in mind, who knows what i might want instead by the end of the year...

Funny how long the wait can seem before you get your jacket. I've had mine for a while now, and I don't really remember the wait...more like a good story to tell.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Honestly i don't even think about it.... The way John does it is pretty good, you put your money down for the spot in the queue, but only start talking design once you get to the end of the line.
That way you don't need to second guess yourself or worry about changing measurements and tastes.
When i put my deposit down i had the Californian in mind, who knows what i might want instead by the end of the year...
This is how it's been for me as well. When I put my deposit down I was sure that I wanted an Aero A-2. Since then I have been looking more at his civilian jackets because I really like what I see in the photos posted by Butte, Superfluous, and others here. If my number was called today I think I would order the Mojave in dark seal Shinki.

kojax

Practically Family
i would never wainte that long for a jacket i really would not care how good the jacket was ??? looks to me the jackets are made out of gold lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy