Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Goorin Brothers Import Vs Domestic

Kwekwe Karu

New in Town
I'm pretty new to this having worn Wool Watch caps most of my life which the beauty who shares my life simply despises. Soooooo to a appease the Goddess I bought a few flat caps, which she liked quite a bit more than my watch cap. While browsing I saw the Goorin Brothers Pork Pie Hat "The Scientist" and purchased it. She absolutely adores how I look in it.

to finally get to the point.... It's an import, besides country of origin and price what are the differences between the imports and the domestics? The Scientist was $28 shipping and all, the Domestic "Heisenberg" Pork Pie is about 5 times that price. Thanks for helping a noob ;)

KyleK

One of the Regulars
Goorin's fedora hats are mostly all made of wool felt - so the $28 Scientist was a decent buy. $150 for a wool felt hat is a gigantic ripoff.
As far as the difference between import and domestic - my guess is it's mostly labor cost. Maybe a quality control difference but that depends on Goorin's standards. I like a lot of their hats - wish they made some fur felts.

The hat looks good! If you end up really liking the style and need to replace it start looking at fur felt hats. They're more durable, can handle some rain/snow, all in all constructed to a higher standard (definitely the vintage ones, modern fur hats depends on the maker). Poke around the Lounge - you'll be able to go as far down the "rabbit" hole of hat knowledge as you like!

Kwekwe Karu

New in Town
In another thread someone mentioned the Jaxon Monk, Fur Felt and a lot more palatable at $88. Found on Village Hat shops site.... 10% off and free shipping..... Tho went for an everyday Jaxon Crushable for $40.50 after all said and done. Will leave the Monk as something The Goddess can acquire for my birthday as she never knows what to get me ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn