Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gordon & Ferguson M422a

Mr black

Familiar Face
Gordon & Ferguson M422a. Arguably the most desirable version of this iconic jacket.

The left pocket is approx. an inch wider than the right to allow for the additional pen section. I believe G&F jackets were the only ones to carry this feature.

The leather is in good all round condition. Still very supple with no cracking. Shows a little bit of wear around the shoulder areas as you’d expect for a jacket that is around 70 years old and was in active service, but still in excellent condition.
Beautifully worn in patina but no holes to the leather.

The collar is also in great shape with good colour and just a little wear on the tips. One small snag at the back of the collar as shown in the pics.

Very strong silver USN stencil.

Talon zipper and puller present and operating perfectly.

Waistband looks to be original. Still has good stretch but does have a couple of finger-tip sized holes- as pictured. I suspect the cuffs are later replacements but they’re in great condition

The lining…hmmm, not so good. Still intact and patch-upable with a bit of sewing or perhaps a bit of tape stuck to the reverse but I’m sure would benefit from some professional input. Still very wearable though. Missing its label so hard to confirm what size it is, but by the measurements I’d have thought a 42 or 44 at most

The patch on the shoulder is for the Douglas A4 Skyhawk planes that were brought into service in 1956. From what little digging around I’ve done, this is a very early patch from that period.

Measurements

Shoulders: 18.5”
Chest: 22”
Shoulder to end of cuff: 24”
Pit to cuff (incl gusset): 21”
Top of collar to hem: 27”
Base of collar to hem: 25.5:

Looking to get IRO £350 plus shipping (from UK) but willing to consider realistic offers

(Further images available)

5nusyp.jpg

v5i9vt.jpg

2e2qv10.jpg

2n6tc03.jpg

2rpxly9.jpg

dlkvvn.jpg

2q9cbir.jpg

33cas1v.jpg

2co0ciu.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics