Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GORGEOUS 40L Paul Stuart Herringbone Tweed Overcoat! Made in Canada. Retail in the $1000's.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
GORGEOUS Paul Stuart Herringbone Tweed Overcoat!

This is absolutely stunning--a true Ivy classic!

Tagged 40 Tall. Measurements:

Chest: 22 1/8
Sleeve: 26 3/4 (+1 3/4)
Shoulder: 18 3/4
Length: 45

This is absolutely beautiful! Cut from wonderful thick heavy warm tweed in broad black-and-white herringbone this lovely coat is cut as an utterly traditional Anglophile overcoat.... Given both the cloth and the cut this coat could easily have been made any time from the Roaring Twenties to now!

This coat has a three button closure at the front with a traditional concealed placket to preserve its elegant silhouette when worn; the small lowest button is for use with the short tweed closure strap (similar to a throat latch) located on the interior of the coat to make sure that you can secure the lower flap if desired.

Given its Anglophile heritage this coat features a fully functional flapped ticket pocket in addition to the traditional two deep flapped pockets and the upper breast pocket; all of the pockets are lined in sturdy cotton duck. The coat is fully canvassed and fully lined, and features a single center vent. In addition to the deep interior breast pocket for your wallet is also features a wide and deep map pocket on the lower interior left. The cuffs are finished with four buttons, and the original hanger loop is intact and clearly unused.

This coat would be perfect paired with everything from charcoal flannels and an odd tweed jacket, to cords and a tattersall waistcoat or a heavy Aran sweater, to a pinstripe suit! It would be perfect worn with a traditional college scarf from Luke Ayres of England, or, if you didn't attend a suitable college, a tartan cashmere scarf.

This wonderful coat was Union Made in Canada expressly for Paul Stuart.

It is in overall excellent condition--but it does have a couple of (very) minor flaws. First, there is some minor discoloration at the fold of the collar--this is very minor, and I didn't see it until I examined the collar close-up in bright sunlight. (I couldn't capture this in my photographs, although I've included the picture where I tried!) But, it is there! Second, there is a very small rip in the lining in the back shoulders, perhaps 1 1/2" long--I could have this sewn closed free of charge if you'd like! And, finally, there is some minor collar creep, with the collar sliding up at the back... although this could be considered an insouciant feature rather than a bug, and, if desired, could be cured by sympathetic pressing.

The closest item that Paul Stuart currently offers is their "Brown Houndstooth Raglan Overcoat", which is a blend of wool (85%), polyester, silk, and linen... and which retails at $3,995. (But, don't worry, they'll give you just under $1000 off today as it's Cyber Monday!) Frankly, this coat is superior to that one... But it would still never have been worth almost $4000 even new!

But it most certainly is worth $175, OR OFFER, boxed, shipped, and insured in the USA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner