Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got a new pair of glasses...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
me04.jpg

And I love them! I have another vintage pair on the way... contacts are such a pain I figured I should invest in vintage eyewear.

shamus

Suspended
Love the glasses! Looks great!

I wear a pair of vintage windsors in gold.

P.S.
I'm trying to find another pair if anyone has any bigger than 4.5 across...

Vintage glasses are really tough and can wistand quite a bit of punishment...

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago, my girlfriend got tired of her contacts. We were in a shop in QUEENS and the old biddy saleslady waves at my face & dismisses, "Round is OUT!"
I wear vintage gold filigree round frames, sorta like JohnLennon. I picked up two pair over ten years ago & theyre still going strong. The work out really well for reenacting. Havent considered lasering my eyeballs cuz I would just miss my old frames.

Lauren your frames are very flattering.
-b

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Financing...

I paid a thousand dollars an eye, and financed it. I paid $50 a month for a couple years till it was paid off. Now it's down to about $700 an eye. Most eye doctors have some kind of financing plan.

You might need to wait a couple years till your prescription stops changing.

Bebop

Practically Family
Daniel Riser said:
Daniel adds another name to the hit-list
You know, I contemplated whether it was appropriate or not to joke around like that here and the evil Bebop won out. It is a line I use on my wife whenever she asks me if she looks ok with what she is wearing. I meant it as a compliment and apoligize if I oversteped my bounderies with an inappropriate stab at humor. I had no idea there were couples of any kind on this board. Lesson learned. My hat is off to both of you. :cheers1:

P.S. Please take me off your hit list!!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Shooting lasers into your eyeballs...yipe.

Y'know, if I was going to go in for surgery on the peepers, I'd want the lasers shooting OUT of them! Bahahahahahahaaaa!!*snort*

...what?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Perfect!

Lauren Henline said:
me04.jpg

And I love them! I have another vintage pair on the way... contacts are such a pain I figured I should invest in vintage eyewear.

Those are extremely flattering and elegant. You nailed it!
I don't get the skimpy frames that everyone wears today. They look good on so few people. Mine are big round frames as well, the English Beufort frames from Berkshire Chase with Cable temples. I love 'em!

You're a stunner.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
You probably have a bridge to sell me

You almost had me going!
Doctors shoot beams in your eyes to give you perfect vision?
Sounds like someone's been reading too much Amazing Stories or Doc Savage.
Maybe Doctor Zharkov could do the operation.
Maybe they have artificial hearts, too.
Ha,ha,ha,ha.

Stuck in the past,
The Wolf

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Bebop said:
You know, I contemplated whether it was appropriate or not to joke around like that here and the evil Bebop won out. It is a line I use on my wife whenever she asks me if she looks ok with what she is wearing. I meant it as a compliment and apoligize if I oversteped my bounderies with an inappropriate stab at humor. I had no idea there were couples of any kind on this board. Lesson learned. My hat is off to both of you. :cheers1:

P.S. Please take me off your hit list!!!

Nah, no worries. All in good fun. (Thought I admit it was exciting. One of the closest "Damel in Distress" moments I have ever had. jk.)

Wolf, It does seem like a bit of something out of a science fiction or pulp novel, doesn't it? Unfortunately the fashionable girls in the 30's and 40's weren't seen in glasses, and I prefer seeing- thanks very much! :)

Canadave

One Too Many
They look great, Lauren!

I just got some reading glasses for the first time. Spent a lot of time looking for something "vintage" looking. In one store, I tried on a round frame, and the saleslady said, "DO NOT get round frames. Unless you LOVE them and they are part of your whole look".

I got a pair similar to these. ;) The model is called the "Charlie Chaplin"!

David

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
Lauren Henline said:
Unfortunately the fashionable girls in the 30's and 40's weren't seen in glasses, and I prefer seeing- thanks very much! :)
Yes, you certainly don't see scenes anymore like the one in The Big Sleep, where Marlowe meets the book shop girl (of course she must work with books if she's wearing glasses!) and he asks if she must wear her glasses before he shows any interest in her. Then she does that classic "sexy librarian" thing, taking off her glasses and shaking out her hair, and lo and behold! Marlowe can finally see that she's pretty! ;)

In the 30s & 40s, the whole point of glasses seems to be to take them off! As Dorothy Parker said,

"Men don't make passes
At girls who wear glasses."

I don't mind contact lenses, but glasses are so much easier...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot