Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dyeing a pair of pants jet black?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I have a pair of pants(denim blue jeans) that are an off grey/black color, how hard would it be to dye it pure jet black? I worry about the dye bleeding off and getting on my legs or something, would that be a problem I should worry about? How do I go about dyeing them to a pure black? Any tips?

Last edited:
There won't be any bleeding. But make sure they're 100% cotton, as you can't dye polyester, nylon, etc. This also mean that the nylon thread will in all likelihood retain its current color.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
There won't be any bleeding. But make sure they're 100% cotton, as you can't dye polyester, nylon, etc. This also mean that the nylon thread will in all likelihood retain its current color.
Any brands or types of dye you'd recommend? I've heard of Dharma Raven Black, Rit Back to Black, and Jacquard Procion MX Jet Black. Which of these would be the best to use, or are there others you'd suggest?

Any brands or types of dye you'd recommend? I've heard of Dharma Raven Black, Rit Back to Black, and Jacquard Procion MX Jet Black. Which of these would be the best to use, or are there others you'd suggest?

No, no clue. I use Simplicol which isn't really anything much but I use it on clothes I don't particularly care about so so far, it worked fine.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Most of the Rite dye I've used is not black black, but adding heat certainly helps, but it can also cause unwanted shrinkage. Plus I always make a mess in the laundry sink. It's best to do it in a plastic bin in the sink. I gave up on black black denim a long time ago, and have settled for washed black denim...

BigPond

Familiar Face
Most of the Rite dye I've used is not black black, but adding heat certainly helps, but it can also cause unwanted shrinkage. Plus I always make a mess in the laundry sink. It's best to do it in a plastic bin in the sink. I gave up on black black denim a long time ago, and have settled for washed black denim...
Sulphur dyed black denim is pretty colorfast. Easily found nowadays in the selvedge scene

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner