Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got blocked by Simmons Bilt Instagram because my comment

Edward

Bartender
Personally, I love the wide leg and high waist of the original, early denim fits. If you're not too large, they really flatter you by extending the length of your legs and emphasizing the waist.

My experience has always been that a wider leg also flatters those of us who are on the larger side of things. One of the reasons I got into old school fits originally was because once you go much over a 36" waist, one tends to look like Humpty Dumpty in drainpipes. I already look like a hairy egg if I skip shaving for a few days.

That's interesting. I guess it's a good fail safe so they aren't struggling to issue returns. I'm going to check them out. More and more I just want simple, plain jeans without labels and a standard, straight cut. No treatments, wiskering, etc.
I can't afford to get all nuts about jeans tho. I've got more than enough problems with the jackets.

If you're looking something cheap, basic and decent, worth having a look at SoF:

USN 1930s cut (slimmer than the others): http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/usn-red-selvage-denim-jeans-1930s-us-navy-deck-jeans-product,19089

40s with back buckle: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/us-navy-1940s-denim-deck-jeans-usn-red-selvage-jeans-product,14013

40s no back buckle: http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/1940s-denim-jeans-with-no-back-buckle-design-product,13918

Not sure if anyone stocks these in the US (a lot of their stuff is made by the same supplier as WPG uses), but worth looking into. Probably cheaper now from the UK than ever before, as the pound is still weak against the dollar.

I've had a couple of pairs of these over the years, both fits. Very decent jeans for the money. Not as good as the high end Japanese denim like my SJC stuff, but very decent if you want something with a good period cut, selvedge, and at a price where you could actually wear 'em as work clothes and not worry about them. Every bit the equal of the pairs of Freddies I've had, though with Freddies now pushing GBP100 a pair, much better value imo.

They still seem to have a relationship with Simmons Bilt, but have now been having their leathers made by Four Speed Leathers in Japan and have taken to talking smack on Shinki and those who use it at an excessive rate.

Shinki does seem to be very Marmite for a lot of folks! Odd they'd comment like that, though. Aero experimented with it, but didn't stick with it - I was told the tannery couldn't guarantee it in the quantities and frequencies Aero buy supplies in at.

I'm off to clarify some issues regarding Chinese officers who commanded/co-opted Japanese Army units that didn't wish to return home, in the Chinese Civil War after the surrender of Japan.

Also looking to hook up with some Chinese Airforce veterans of the Korean War.

Have you been to the museum in SE China where the AVG were based? THat's somewhere I'd like to see.

Thanks Fanch. For sure. As soon as the words slim or skinny appear. I'm out.
Those jeans look really nice and seem reasonably priced. I'm going to back those in a straight cut and see how they work out. Hopefully they make it. Seems likely given the percentage listed.
I think you get (as well as me) a discount if you use my (or anyone's code)
https://www.weargustin.com/i/21096

May as well step up to grab my credit LOL

I have to say that I have maybe 6/10 that I really love.
If the 18oz Super Heavy ever comes back, get those too. I've been waiting a while to grab another pair as mine are getting lots of wear...

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
USN 1930s cut (slimmer than the others): http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/usn-red-selvage-denim-jeans-1930s-us-navy-deck-jeans-product,19089

I like these quite a bit and a great price although I imagine the shipping cost to the US would suck the wind out of the deal.

I've had a couple of pairs of these over the years, both fits. Very decent jeans for the money. Not as good as the high end Japanese denim like my SJC stuff, but very decent if you want something with a good period cut, selvedge, and at a price where you could actually wear 'em as work clothes and not worry about them. Every bit the equal of the pairs of Freddies I've had, though with Freddies now pushing GBP100 a pair, much better value imo.

Sorry to continue to derail this thread, but as much as I love a great-fitting pair of jeans, I'm starting to question the sense of spending $300-400 on denim. I don't wear jeans as much as I did when I was younger (and wore them every day) so they last much longer. In addition, I would never wear an expensive pair when digging a ditch or working in a crawl space. Who would? While 90% of my jeans are selvedge, has anyone ever seen a pair of non-selvedge jeans unravel at the seam? I've cut, ripped, and stained dozens of jeans in life, but have never seen a pair unravel at the leg seam. To be fair, I don't buy my jeans at Wal-Mart, but I try to find them in the $100 range, either new or very lightly used.

Edward

Bartender

Selvedge really is just a cosmetic thing. I'll pay a touch more for it myself because I like the look, but yes, non-selv in the same price bracket is just as good.

You might have some luck with the SoF jeans talking to WPG - there's often a lot of similar stock between them, they might get them in too or something similar. I totally agree that jeans are an area where you can disappear down the rabbit hole - me, I'd much rather put three ton some way into a decent suit.

I think you get (as well as me) a discount if you use my (or anyone's code)
https://www.weargustin.com/i/21096

May as well step up to grab my credit LOL

I have to say that I have maybe 6/10 that I really love.
If the 18oz Super Heavy ever comes back, get those too. I've been waiting a while to grab another pair as mine are getting lots of wear...
Nice! Thanks Butte! I also like that waxed brown trucker they have up! kinda wish I stayed away from their site. Prices seem quite reasonable!

Nice! Thanks Butte! I also like that waxed brown trucker they have up! kinda wish I stayed away from their site. Prices seem quite reasonable!
Got the trucker when it first dropped. It's a great buy! And I think the have updated the cut/pattern since then...

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have 2 of their truckers lol

They have 2 cuts now and also offer them in a lined and unlined version, both of mine are unlined. The two I have are the original one in the light tan and the newer style in the green. Both are great but if I had to choose, I'd recommend the newer style in the green.

The cut on the newer style to me seems a touch trimmer through the body and the green doesn't wash my pasty skin tone out as much as the tan lol

The dark brown looks nice but I really cant have 3 of these in my closet!

Pic is a bit douchey, but...

Gtrucker.jpg

El Marro

I want one! Man one day later and I'm the hook with these guys.
I went through the same thing with Gustin when I first signed up, I was backing every other campaign I saw! After a little while though, the thrill wore off and now I just check in every week or so to see what's new and if anything grabs my eye. I like most of the clothing that I have bought from them. I have about 10 pairs of jeans now and a number of their short sleeve collared shirts. I bought a couple of the long sleeve button down shirts and I found that this was a style that didn't really work for me. The longsleeve workshirts on the other hand are pretty nice and I always keep an eye out for the new fabrics that come out from time to time. All in all I'm very happy to have found Gustin (on the lounge of course) and I think they have contributed nicely to my wardrobe.

I went through the same thing with Gustin when I first signed up, I was backing every other campaign I saw! After a little while though, the thrill wore off and now I just check in every week or so to see what's new and if anything grabs my eye. I like most of the clothing that I have bought from them. I have about 10 pairs of jeans now and a number of their short sleeve collared shirts. I bought a couple of the long sleeve button down shirts and I found that this was a style that didn't really work for me. The longsleeve workshirts on the other hand are pretty nice and I always keep an eye out for the new fabrics that come out from time to time. All in all I'm very happy to have found Gustin (on the lounge of course) and I think they have contributed nicely to my wardrobe.
Well, far be it from me to become obsessive about something. I mean it just couldn't happen;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
In the end, I think I have about six pairs, three of which get regular wear while the others less/none - I have a pair of taupe ones which were so tight that members of my family commented on them(!). It was the pair I bought, partly because I'd moved on a bit in what I was looking for but also because I felt the company's QC and attitude towards its customers was slipping.

ProteinNerd

I've got a range of their gear. 2 pairs of jeans (Okayama and lightweight Zimbabwes) I like them both and would order again when I need a new pair of jeans.
2 truckers, 3 long sleeve henleys, a heavy Herringbone Workshirt, duffel bag, Dopp kit and am waiting on a pair of CXL high top sneakers.
Overall I like the gear I've got from then and keep an eye out but I'm really trying to not expand my wardrobe these days.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Selvedge really is just a cosmetic thing. I'll pay a touch more for it myself because I like the look, but yes, non-selv in the same price bracket is just as good.

You might have some luck with the SoF jeans talking to WPG - there's often a lot of similar stock between them, they might get them in too or something similar. I totally agree that jeans are an area where you can disappear down the rabbit hole - me, I'd much rather put three ton some way into a decent suit.
It's not just the cosmetic part, it's also about the machines that the denim is produced on. The selvedge gives some snob factor, but what really makes a difference is the texture, feel, etc of the fabric that is produced on older machines that cannot really be done on modern machines. Technically, the fabric is just as good, but their are subtleties that older machines make that make that fabric more interesting or desirable.

If you're really into denim (like I am) it makes a difference. Of course, if you aren't, then it doesn't matter at all, really. A lot of fantastic duck and plain weave fabrics have been made on more modern machines with great results.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've got a range of their gear. 2 pairs of jeans (Okayama and lightweight Zimbabwes) I like them both and would order again when I need a new pair of jeans.
2 truckers, 3 long sleeve henleys, a heavy Herringbone Workshirt, duffel bag, Dopp kit and am waiting on a pair of CXL high top sneakers.
Overall I like the gear I've got from then and keep an eye out but I'm really trying to not expand my wardrobe these days.
How heavy are their truckers? Every time I see them, they look too light. This is one of my many issues with their products.

El Marro

I'd have bought some of their workshirts but even the xxl is too small. Asked for larger for a couple years to no avail.
Butte,
I hear you! I wear an xxl in the short sleeve and the workshirts from Gustin and this strikes me as really silly because I wear large or extra large in every other brand I own (Pendleton, Filson, etc.). At 6'1 and 210lbs I am not a small man, but I am not a huge man who should define the outer limits of size at the big end of the scale.
Fortunately there are guys out there like Ciano Farmer who's sizing will work for all of us, both big and small alike!

Very interesting and potentially costly thread meandering here. Nice to here all the experiences folks have with them. I have to say, initially I was put off by the kickstarteresque model but I see where it does make sense and clearly keeps costs down. Also makes it really easy to get onboard but quick.

ProteinNerd

I think the one they have now is listed @13.5oz. I'm new to the game but I suspect that's a midweight fabric. Will feel like a feather next to my leather stuff.

Mid weight is a good description. Feels lightweight but I'm used to fairly heavy leather jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou