Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got Tiki?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Thrift shop find.
P1070822.jpg

JPH

Familiar Face
mike said:
Did anything "tiki" in a modern sense exist prior to WW2? I thought primarily soldiers stationed in the Pacific brought this back to America in the post-war years...?
The Clifton family changed the decor of their Golden Rule cafeteria to the Polynesian themed Pacific Seas in 1939. Like most of the coolest stuff, it's long since gone.

Photos here

Joseph

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Talbot, amazing lagoon Tiki zone, I'll be by tomorrow for drinks (I wish)

JazzyDame, of course we love Tiki, and Tiki loves us.

I'm still trying to get a Tiki party happening up here in Alaska, because I have a twisted sense of humor, but its slow going, people here move with glacial speed.

Does anyone have a copy of Tiki Modern? What a great book, I cannot find any stores that carry it, they're all sold out.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mike said:
Did anything "tiki" in a modern sense exist prior to WW2? I thought primarily soldiers stationed in the Pacific brought this back to America in the post-war years...?

Hi, my Dad brought back his sleeping mat from Wallis Island after the war. It was used to keep the bugs from crawling up the legs of the cot as an extra barrier. No cool Tiki mugs though, I guess if he did get the native girls out of their grass skirts, they wanted them back cause he didn't bring any home...

Later

TheModernLife

New in Town
Mr Vim said:
Does anyone have a copy of Tiki Modern? What a great book, I cannot find any stores that carry it, they're all sold out.

Try Amazon. Only $26! If you can get your hands on Sven's other book, The Book of Tiki, it is well worth it. Both are incredibly well researched, designed and insightful!

Back in the late '60s, early '70s I remember a place in Gardena, CA called Yue's which was owned by a friend of my dad's. It was a Chinese restaurant and cocktail lounge that had a full on Tiki decor which had probably first opened back in the '50s.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
OK so I have to share this....There was a small restaurant/ club near the RR tracks where I grew up in Milwaukee...It was completely hidden from the main streets and if you didn't happen to drive by, you wound't even know it was there.

It was called Sanara's Hideaway.

Hmmm. might try to see if there's anything about it on the webs...

OK so there isn't a think....

Anyway..this was a very old school hang out that had blowfish and tiki decor...They had a waterfall with lights and a lounge area where you could just picture the "Good fellas" having a drink.

I'll see if any of my old buddies have any pics from that place.... before she burnt to the ground

Good times and great memories.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
So a couple of weeks ago, I thought of hosting a tiki party here in Juneau, and from day one I've had nothing but apathy to the whole thing... apathy! Like all of them couldn't care about a tiki party... the nerve!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner