Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got Tiki?

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
California TIKI

James,

You are LUCKY to be located on the
west coast, the heart of the national
Tiki scene, with the exception of the
Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

The east coast Tiki scene/Middle Atlantic
area is Terrible :mad:

Solid Citizen [huh]

Solid Citizen said:
James,

You are LUCKY to be located on the
west coast, the heart of the national
Tiki scene, with the exception of the
Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

The east coast Tiki scene/Middle Atlantic
area is Terrible :mad:

Solid Citizen [huh]

That is true. I forgot about Trader Vics in Emeryville and in Palo Alto. :D
Then again, that area where you are isn't exactly amenable to tiki in all seasons like we are here. ;)

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
don't know if it's been previously mentioned, but if you're in the Los Angeles area, Bahooka is a great tiki bar/restaurant, they have bahooka bowls (giant mixed drink in a bowl, can be perfect for four) that come with near 2ft long straws.

also, I do not know if all of the Home Depots are carrying them, but in the garden section, they have a whole tiki theme, including totems and a really cute tiki bench!

Murph351

One of the Regulars
scarlett said:
Hi fellow tiki lovers. Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but there is a Tiki Exhibit starting today at the Glendale Forest Lawn Museum. Info is at http://www.forestlawn.com
cheers
Went to the exhibit today.
Great show. Worth the trip.
Kinda different to go to a museum in a cemetery (insert jokes here).

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
tikiplant.jpg

:cool: LD

Murph351

One of the Regulars
Half my backyard is from Oceanic Arts.:D
Bob and Leroy at OA are great people,
you need to get down to Whittier and see their place!
A lot of Poly Pop/Tiki history there.

Bubble Cheeks

New in Town
I'm a total Tikiphile! I have been into tiki almost my whole life. My collection isn't as big as it used to be, because I sold quite a bit to help me afford the move to NY. I only own a modest collection of only 30 mugs or so, now. But I'm still really into it. I've done quite a bit of artwork under the art name "Tikilicious", and sell work out of The Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale FL. That place is amazing!

Im really excited to meet some tiki ohana here. Great mug, btw! I don't think I have that one!

decodoll

Practically Family
Caroline said:
We're a trend!

Adjust your ebay sales accordingly...

link

I'm almost finished my ultra-budget tiki room - pictures on the way soon!

I love Tiki, but the only tiki I have at home is a mug from Forbidden Island. We definitely have some 1950's pieces that would work great with tiki decor though. Forbidden Island and Tonga Room are so much fun!! I really miss living in SF...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
I'm not really a big Tiki fan... I do really enjoy early Hawaiian influences of the 20s and early 40s... but, all the masks, bamboo, Tiki torches... not so much. I enjoy Island culture, but not so much the 50s and 60s take on it.

The posters of travel and music of early Hawaiian culture in America is what I really dig.
2517904204_f9b74617a2.jpg

2072560886_14ea893341.jpg

2072559142_e470d67eb3.jpg

UKULELE%20LADY%20SHEET%20MUSIC.jpg

2072558408_c9f5ff4549.jpg

2072557118_ebcf6323fc.jpg

paradise.jpg

Caroline

One of the Regulars
Lovely ephemera collection FM! I'm not terribly into the torches either, unless a lit cocktail counts as one ;)

Decodoll, I see you're from RI. Have you been to a place called "The Islander" in Warwick? The drink menu seems stardard tiki, but I can't find any interior shots of the place. If I bring my family there and there is no tiki-themed room, they'll be underwhelmed and mopey.

decodoll

Practically Family
Caroline said:
Lovely ephemera collection FM! I'm not terribly into the torches either, unless a lit cocktail counts as one ;)

Decodoll, I see you're from RI. Have you been to a place called "The Islander" in Warwick? The drink menu seems stardard tiki, but I can't find any interior shots of the place. If I bring my family there and there is no tiki-themed room, they'll be underwhelmed and mopey.

Oh no, I haven't! I'm a very recent Rhode Islander. I'll have to check it out ... hopefully they have some virgin tiki drinks I can drink until I can do the regular ones again. I have a friend in Boston who is very into the Tiki scene. I'll have to ask her if she knows it -- although she's fairly new to the area too.

Lorena B

Practically Family
OHH yeah!! absolutely!!! in this household we love tiki, in fact, we are nuts about tiki

We are currently looking for space where to display some of these!!
HPIM2257.jpg

HPIM2258.jpg

HPIM2260.jpg

v
HPIM2263.jpg

HPIM2264.jpg

Lorena B

Practically Family
Last summer i went to the Tiki T's, in California, a place that probably some of you do know.

Great place!!, love tiki man!!
HPIM1617.jpg

mike

Call Me a Cab
Did anything "tiki" in a modern sense exist prior to WW2? I thought primarily soldiers stationed in the Pacific brought this back to America in the post-war years...?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner