Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got Tiki?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I have boxes and boxes of tiki mugs and statues, a 13-piece set of 40s pretzel-sided rattan furnite and a 40s half-moon shaped rattan bar all sitting up in my attic un-used because I don't have a place to put it in the new house.:( I miss them.

It's all waiting for the money tree that I planted in the back yard to bloom so I can properly insulate the walls in our walk-up attic (it's more like a third floor to the house) and turn it into a tiki lounge. Right now it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter to do much with.

Feraud

Bartender
Lady Day, the applique is too cool!

Here is a salt & pepper set we have.
DSC00715.jpg

DSC00716.jpg

DSC00717.jpg

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
It's all waiting for the money tree that I planted in the back yard to bloom so I can properly insulate the walls in our walk-up attic (it's more like a third floor to the house) and turn it into a tiki lounge. Right now it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter to do much with.

Can I have a cutting from your money tree? just pinch off a section at a leaf bud....

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
BeBopBaby said:
I have boxes and boxes of tiki mugs and statues, a 13-piece set of 40s pretzel-sided rattan furnite and a 40s half-moon shaped rattan bar all sitting up in my attic un-used because I don't have a place to put it in the new house.:( I miss them.

Erin, you should show the folks here your bar (& the lamp!) :D (It's Susie, BTW- I thought you'd turn up here...)

I don't have a lot of stuff, a couple old mugs & a new MunkTiki one. I haven't been there for a while, but there is a great tiki forum called Tiki Central. You all would love some of the tiki rooms the members there have.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Sweet Leilani said:
Erin, you should show the folks here your bar (& the lamp!) :D (It's Susie, BTW- I thought you'd turn up here...)

It's all in my attic packed away! Wrestling that thing up 3 flights of steps with tight turns and zero clearance room was no easy task - I think it's going to have to stay there forever. Everyone once in awhile I put on one of my hawaiian tea timer blouses and go upstairs and look at it wistfully. It's a cat perch at the moment. lol

I wish I still had the pictures of it from our old place, I can't find them anywhere.

Just picked up a bottle of Tommy Bahama rum the other day. It stinks. Stay away. It was just put on the market about two months ago and I got it because 1) I really don't care for Bacardi or any Puerto Rican rum for that matter, and 2) There is only one store in Manhattan that sells Ron Mathusalem (the only white rum that I've found to be passable) and I wasn't able to get down there before my craving for a daiquiri subsided.

How come there are all these boutique dark and gold rums out there but no one distills a great white rum? Why does it get the short-shrift? If only I had my own still.

Regards,

Senator Jack

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Bamboo 2 U in Leucadia

Those of you visiting or living in the San Diego area can find an abundance of tiki stuff at Bamboo 2 U in Leucadia.

I first discovered this place in Oceanside. I love the whole tiki genre, so I had to check the place out. Later, they moved down to Leucadia.

I asked the owner whether she had a website; she didn't but expressed a desire for one. Judging by my Google results today, it appears she still isn't on the web. But I did find a VR tour of the store at http://www.aroundandaboutsandiego.com/bamboo2u.html

The panoramic photo gives the impression that all they sell is tikis, i.e., carved palm trunks. But inside the store, they have furniture, luau shirts, barware... Everything you need to feed your Trader Vic fetish.

After you've worked up an appetite at Bamboo 2 U, head on down to Kealani's on D Street in Encinitas. They serve authentic Hawaiian food and have a gift shop with Hawaiian clothing, music, snacks, and so on. There's a review on the San Diego Reader website at http://www.sdreader.com/php/rrglist.php?area=04

Mahalo!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
How come there are all these boutique dark and gold rums out there but no one distills a great white rum? Why does it get the short-shrift? If only I had my own still.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Try J. Wray & Nephew White Overproof Rum, it's the one I keep in my bar.

34849.jpg

You might look at some of these West Indies Rhum Agricoles:

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/Rhums_Saimnt_Etienne.html

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
I just found my first real vintage tiki mug at a thrift store! (The others came from the bay.) I'm so excited- I've been looking forever! I guess $4 really can buy happiness...

100_2028.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy