Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Got White?

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
P1252573.jpg
my off-white henschel that I need to fix the brim on

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow! Why didn't I see this thread earlier? I prefer light-colored, white or off-white hats over darker shades anytime (guess I've become heavily influenced by William Powell's choice of hats).

I like white hats too, and William Powell in them. What I have noticed though is that many white hats seem to appear in movies from 1931-34 or so. I gather that white hats were stylish generally in the early 1930s. I would like to find one, but instead may commission Art Fawcett to make me one someday, because if I did find a vintage white hat, no doubt the crown would be too tall to suit me.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Well, I've finally joined the white hat club!!

This is a maker I've never heard of before. It says on the liner "Layton Imperial, by Sherman." The band calls this model "the Senator." Has a big wide, 3" brim. 1940s? Anyone?

This thing has a ton of shallow moth nibbles on it, but there are so many that it almost makes the the thing look uniform! Also the thread on the brim binding is yellowed and impossible to clean, sadly. I had it soaking in the "stuff" for about 2 hours early this morning. It looked far, far worse, believe me.

When I got this one it was a twofer. A chocolate brown one in the exact same model was with it. I am working on that now, but it is in worse shape than the white one.

5408746408_2dee6dc611.jpg

5408746468_a56c457d56.jpg

5408746514_6efb7b9507.jpg

5408746556_d97a714ded.jpg

5408137601_e4497cd80f.jpg

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I guess that's when you think about custom!

I believe that this is correct. The easiest way to get a beautiful white fedora is to just have it made, buy it brand new.

The vintage ones are hard to come by. I've only seen 2 other ones in the last 6 months on ebay and both got so high priced that one may as well have bought a custom and avoid the little issues in condition of the used ones.

barrowjh

One Too Many
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130491093212&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here is an auction with 6 days left; a 7 1/8 white hat with 3 inch brim. Perfect for game-day, add your school's color pug to temporarily cover the black ribbon, and enjoy the wide brim's sun protection while sitting in a football stadium. I asked the seller to post pictures of the underside, and the hat looks even better now, it would be an improvement over my own two white hats! A mallory liner and wide light brown (roan?) leather sweatband, all appears to be in pristine condition. A really nice hat, and it will do double duty as your game-day attire. If you are a 7 1/8. At the time I post this, nobody has even bid on it yet, so I decided to do this post just to bring this hat to the attention of someone that might want a white hat. If you were already stalking it with a snipe, well, my apologies.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Somehow I haven't posted here yet, even though this is the thread that convinced me that light-color hats were awesome! I've been enjoying all the great hats you guys have been posting :eusa_clap.

Here's my meager contribution. It's a Buckaroo Hatters lightweight "Moorelite". Color is bone, ribbon is some shade of grey. Bone is a color that is hard to describe, seeming at times like a light grey and at others like a really, really light tan. Regardless, in sunlit conditions it appears white, so I hope that counts :). It's got an amazing C-Crown!
BoneBuckaroo3.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Somehow I haven't posted here yet, even though this is the thread that convinced me that light-color hats were awesome! I've been enjoying all the great hats you guys have been posting :eusa_clap.

Here's my meager contribution. It's a Buckaroo Hatters lightweight "Moorelite". Color is bone, ribbon is some shade of grey. Bone is a color that is hard to describe, seeming at times like a light grey and at others like a really, really light tan. Regardless, in sunlit conditions it appears white, so I hope that counts :). It's got an amazing C-Crown!
BoneBuckaroo3.jpg

Neo-- that is a really sharp hat! I feel like I've seen the same one on Mike Moore's website... worn by a dude who seems to resemble the guy in your avatar?

BoneBuckaroo3.jpg

I really like that one. What color is the one in your avatar?

Happy Jack

A-List Customer
Wow! Why didn't I see this thread earlier? I prefer light-colored, white or off-white hats over darker shades anytime (guess I've become heavily influenced by William Powell's choice of hats). It's a pity that they are so hard to find.

The only truly off-white hat in my collection happens to be my favorite lid at the moment. I guess you know which one that could be... ;)

Ta-da:

The Louis Custom Hatters Mark III:​

Louis-Custom-Hatters-Trimmed.jpg

I would like this one. Please

DRB

One Too Many
I have a request. Aureliano: can you repost your pics? They have disappeared and you have some truly outstanding whites if I remember.

DRB

One Too Many
Here is a GW hat (Gary White). Bone color, 100% beaver in the making. Now.....I am getting a headache trying to figure out what ribbon shall I choose.
GWBonecoloredfedora22520111.jpg

GWBonecoloredfedora22520113.jpg

GWBonecoloredfedora22520112-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner