Gotta stop buying jackets....

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by majormajor, Mar 21, 2013.

1. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

Double post. My apologies

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. majormajor

majormajor One Too Many

Here, just for you, Craig, is my Jimmy Page guitar (it looks more sunburst in the flesh):D

Fitted with some hand-wound pups, and four push-pull knobs which give 21 different pup combinations. Jimmy Page heaven!!;)

[​IMG]

Now we MUST get this thread back on topic........

3. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

What can I say?: :cool::eusa_clap:D

Here's a question though. Is there an optimum number of leather jackets? At what point do you look in your cupboard and pride in your good taste turn to shame at you profligacy?:D

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  4. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

I picked up an Aero Long Half Belt and it is pretty much my perfect jacket. Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the alpaca lining, but it fits and looks perfect. It is a cooler weather jacket

I'm hoping to have a GW Ventura in the next few months. This jacket will be my less cooler weather jacket.

If I like it the GW, I will be done. This stuff is too expensive for me and I'd prefer fewer jackets to give me time to develop a patina on the couple that
    I have.

5. bretron

bretron Call Me a Cab

Yeah you say that now ;)

6. damienweaver

damienweaver One of the Regulars

Anyone familiar with the expression "white people problems"?

7. Asienizen

Asienizen One of the Regulars

Wow! Do you have an entire room dedicated to your clothes? I always used to tease my lady-friends because they had 30 or 40 pairs of shoes - I can't say to them that guys don't do that sort of thing any more I guess. ;)

But I suppose those of us from the Lounge are cut from a different cloth. I think of myself just getting into the suit world- I have about a dozen suits; but most of my contemporaries here only have ONE suit. They think I'm crazy, "how can you possibly wear that many suits?" They ask, I usually respond that I don't have nearly enough.

But I think I'll try to keep it to only 5 or 6 leather jackets.

8. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

Nothing wrong with collecting so long as it's not obsessional and doesn't take over your life and home. I'm sure the Psychologist Loungers will agree it's just normal hunting or foraging behaviour brought up to date. For millions of years as a species our job was to hunt for food and the other necessities of life and we adapted accordingly. As the essentials for life such as food and drink are little challenge to obtain for most of us we get our kicks from the tough hunt for the other necessities of life such as jackets, boots guitars, watches,fountain pens etc.

9. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

My wife and I live in a largish 4 bedroom home with walk-in closets in each bedroom, as well as a hall closet. Jackets are in 3 closets and my Hawaiian shirts are in my half of our bedroom closet. Most of the closets are full with my wife's clothes, naturally.
    The leather jackets initially were mostly A-2's, repros and originals. But then I switched to more civilian jackets. Just before we moved to AZ from CA (9 years ago) I tried to get rid of lots of leather jackets. I took about 30 vintage HH jackets to a couple of shows and offered them for $15-25 each, only sold 5-6. I lowered the price at our moving sale and ended up donating about 20 to the Salvation Army charity. I've kept the best of the bunch, but still have no need to wear them in the desert.
    The Hawaiian shirts I wear a lot as we have warm to hot weather 8 months at least. I like the artistic patterns and colorful imagery of them.

10. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

That's what it's all about. Even if you took a hit, you probably made a bunch of people happy. If they appreciated the value of them is another story but you surely made someones day. Leather jackets and generosity. Definitely in the top 10 list of the best things in life.

11. You only collect jackets until you find the perfect one and then you sell the rest. It's like what Thomas Edison said about inventing the light bulb after 1000 failed attempts: "My success was a one thousand-and-one step process."

12. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I'm in agreement. But one? No, likely 3-4 :)

13. Foster

Foster One of the Regulars

Might as well have one for each day of the week!

14. Very good idea!
    Finally buy that '1' well fitting...great hided and lined perfect jacket..
    and wear it each day of the week..!!
    HD

15. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

There is never just one perfect jacket. Too many variables. If one is good, or 5, then 15-20 is better. :) Unless you live in the desert.....

16. Edward

Edward Bartender

Ha, I'm glad I'm not alone. to think there was a time when I thought i excessive that I had four leather jackets, and now I think I have just about got the wishlist down to ten.... only ten more...... ;)

17. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

SPEW!!!!! Good Lord man!!!!! Get thee to a doctor and QUICK!!!! I pray I never git that bad!!!!

Worf

18. Worf

Worf I'll Lock Up

Well... at least I MAKE money with these.

[​IMG]

And these:

[​IMG]

Some of the 5's have been sold... but replaced. But I rarely buy anymore basses.

Worf

19. SGB

SGB One of the Regulars

Ha ha, funny. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying Hawaiian shirts, don't see it as bad. Especially since I live in the desert and do wear them a lot. I have bought vintage shirts and sold them to Bailey's in Hawaii, at a real nice profit, which I then use to BUY MORE! :)
    I've also met a guy here in AZ who owns over 30,000 Hawaiian shirts.....I'm nothing compared to him.

20. spike42

spike42 New in Town