Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graffiti on a church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maguire

Practically Family
The fact is in today's society nothing is sacred, and its a shame but its not likely to change for the better in the near future, every generation is more apathetic and nihilistic than the last.. to the point where having some ideals or faith makes one the target of jokes or worse.

As for satanism and such, while there are people who ascribe to that sort of thing who are intelligent and well read, alot more of them are just posturing teenagers who need to rebel somehow or another, and "evil" is "cool" and whats more evil than satan? That type usually grows out of it and i imagine is the one more prone to committing silly acts like this, people who wear ideology or sub culture on their sleeves are usually those who haven't taken it to heart in any real way.

As for satanism and such, while there are people who ascribe to that sort of thing who are intelligent and well read, alot more of them are just posturing teenagers who need to rebel somehow or another, and "evil" is "cool" and whats more evil than satan? That type usually grows out of it and i imagine is the one more prone to committing silly acts like this, people who wear ideology or sub culture on their sleeves are usually those who haven't taken it to heart in any real way.

there is that ideal these days that girls want a badboy that will be good to them and guys want a good girl to be bad just for them.

Maguire

Practically Family
there is that ideal these days that girls want a badboy that will be good to them and guys want a good girl to be bad just for them.

That ideal has been the case for years- look at how many bootleggers and organized crime figures were fawned over by women, then look at the outlaw biker archetype, the greasers, rock and roll type, etc.. on average young girls do not want to be whisked away by the mild mannered town librarian.

And i'd say yes, the opposite is true, but with men, i think its simple, they want a good girl to ultimately marry and settle down with, but view the "bad girls" as fun for the moment. Again, there are exceptions to this, i consider myself to have always been one. I'm sure many on this board are exceptions, but we aren't talking about exceptions here.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's the fetishization of rebellion, but never the kind of rebellion that accomplishes any useful social purpose. It's a sure sign of people who have never grown out of being frustrated little children screaming "you're not the boss of me!"

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd like to see what would happen to them if they got caught spray painting a mosque . . . well I know what'd happen here if they got caught by some Arabs doing it! KA-POW!

Maguire

Practically Family
It's the fetishization of rebellion, but never the kind of rebellion that accomplishes any useful social purpose. It's a sure sign of people who have never grown out of being frustrated little children screaming "you're not the boss of me!"
Couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes benny, Muslims don't take this stuff lying down, neither should christians.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up

And yes benny, Muslims don't take this stuff lying down, neither should christians.
Well said.
Then again, all religions have something "sacred" and seeing it that way (even if you don't believe or subscribe to their religion) is just being a good citizen.
We're running low on that IMHO, and nobody is restocking them.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
This is going back to what I had made mention, there is a need to educate people, some of it has to be done within the family unit, to install some decent values. If we even look at the news lately, shootings, horrible acts all the time. A bit northwest of where I am residing now, almost each day a new murder. You at times see a short interview with the family members or close friends. The shooting victim was already "set up" for the type of situation to take place, running with the crowds of gang bangers, no one in that family would have wanted the shooting to take place and have a family member killed, but, it would appear, not much input was given by the family to have given the shooting victim and the shooter any moral upbringing that may have prevented the violence to begin with.

Many of the issues we as a society have to deal with is misbehavior, and some misbehavior runs off into Mayhem. I know my personal opinion on all that is maybe not so popular, but, the lack of being able to spank a kid now days, in my opinion, had lead some of this behavior to take place. Some households have the kids running the show, the Parents will tell you they live their life for their children. MY thought is you live your life for yourself and your spouse, give you children a good example of how they should live, teach them values from day one, and never let them think they are going to run anything at all, until....they themselves are grown and are on their own and then they can run things...at their home. I also think some of the "parents" we have now, are parents that when they were small, ran their households so to speak, now have kids, and have passed along some spoiled rotten thinking traits that to some degree include the " I can do anything I want and don't have to be accountable" trait. To me this is spreading deeply into the social structure of the world.

Edward

Bartender

I don't know, there was that hippy fella that came out with that business about turning he other cheek.... what was his name?

I'd like to hope folks of any religion would have the good sense to leave it to the police.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Shortly before Christmas i was witness to Nazi's handing out presents to Greek citizen's on the steps of a Church! I went back to get my camera and by the time i returned the rain had dispersed the crowd. The economy here is so bad the Nazi party has been making gains by "helping" the elderly and children. 23% of the Greek population were slaughtered during WW2 and it's come to this.

Feraud

Bartender
I don't know, there was that hippy fella that came out with that business about turning he other cheek.... what was his name?

I'd like to hope folks of any religion would have the good sense to leave it to the police.

It is especially ironic to see religious folks paint with such a broad brush and be the first ones to want to kick some rear end over what amounts to some paint. Sometimes our religious lessons go quickly out the window.

A few pages back Baron Kurtz mentioned young people having underdeveloped sections of the brain which can preclude some from making responsible decisions. Anyone who has raised a child knows exactly what this means!
Today I came across an online article where a 16 year old stole jewelry at at house party. 15 years later she found the rings at home and with her remorseful adult brain wrote a letter to return the rings.
Here's the article if anyone is interested-
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...old-rings-223408861--abc-news-topstories.html

I know how frustrating it is to have your place vandalised. I've experienced graffiti on my home and damage to my car being parked on the street.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi Edward, that hippy fella you're talking about sure caused some trouble over the years. There's an interesting problem with the whole Christian thing. Someone burns down our church, we turn the other cheek. This tenant of Christianity is what allows a Republic / Democracy to work, you're forgiven, even if you ARE a politician. This is what separates the US, UK, France, Germany (today), Japan, South Korea, etc from parts of South America, Asia, and Africa. In those areas, you're not President for life because you demanded it, but because when the next coup occurs you're not alive anymore.

Some other religions don't do forgiveness, so killing (caning, loosing a hand etc) you for burning down their place of worship is a little more acceptable.

Oh, I had to add "hippy" to my spell checker. I know it's been almost 40 years...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Although, to be fair, that hippy fella did get into a bit of trouble with the Sanhedrin -- something about a rampage in the courtyard of the temple, kicking over vendors' tables and swinging around a big whip. Sort of an Occupy Jerusalem kind of deal, only he didn't just sit around in a tent smoking dope.

CharleneC

Familiar Face
Shortly before Christmas i was witness to Nazi's handing out presents to Greek citizen's on the steps of a Church! I went back to get my camera and by the time i returned the rain had dispersed the crowd. The economy here is so bad the Nazi party has been making gains by "helping" the elderly and children. 23% of the Greek population were slaughtered during WW2 and it's come to this.

23% seems very high. Wikipedia indicates that in 1939 the Greek population was 7.2 million. It also estimates a range of dead from military activity from 20,000 to 31,500 and another 300,000 dead from military activity and crimes against humanity. This is about 4.5% of the population. Still more deaths than there should have been, but not 23%.

Edward

Bartender
Shortly before Christmas i was witness to Nazi's handing out presents to Greek citizen's on the steps of a Church! I went back to get my camera and by the time i returned the rain had dispersed the crowd. The economy here is so bad the Nazi party has been making gains by "helping" the elderly and children.

Well, that is very "Golden Age" of them... I mean, didn't they do similar things back in the Thirties in Germany? ;)

23% of the Greek population were slaughtered during WW2 and it's come to this.

Forgive and forget, eh? ;)

It is especially ironic to see religious folks paint with such a broad brush and be the first ones to want to kick some rear end over what amounts to some paint. Sometimes our religious lessons go quickly out the window.

Yes. I can understand it if they're caught in a situation where it's about defending a perso, but all things considered, I do feel that here in the "First world" we culturally put too much emphasis on property crimes over other things, reflecting a rather worrying sense of priorities.

A few pages back Baron Kurtz mentioned young people having underdeveloped sections of the brain which can preclude some from making responsible decisions. Anyone who has raised a child knows exactly what this means!
Today I came across an online article where a 16 year old stole jewelry at at house party. 15 years later she found the rings at home and with her remorseful adult brain wrote a letter to return the rings.
Here's the article if anyone is interested-
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...old-rings-223408861--abc-news-topstories.html

I know how frustrating it is to have your place vandalised. I've experienced graffiti on my home and damage to my car being parked on the street.

Interesting story!

Yeah, our church back in the Old Country got hit by graffiti back in the Eighties. It was upsetting, but in the end a coat of paint ended it and fortunately it wasn't repeated. More worryingly, just before Christmas, the local Catholic church was also vandalised (an attempt was made to burn it - fortunately only the boilerhouse was damaged), in a much more sinister sectarian attack, the kind of which had never been seen in that village before. That wasn't an attack on the religion, though, more a blind stab at a perceived "enemy" (insomuch as there was any thought in it at all).

I agree. Violence begets violence, where does it end.

Usually with a bunch of idiots howling about a "fleg" and not realisng how they're being exploited. But hush my mouth, no politics.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21