Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Graham Thompson - OPTIMO Hats

RHY

One of the Regulars
Integrity & Honesty - you can expect from OPTIMO Hats and its proprietor, Graham Thompson.

I sent in a couple of hats to have resized and upon their arrival at Optimo I received a phone call as to Graham's assesment of the projects. I clearly mistook an older Cavanagh as one in good shape and should have dusted it off and inspected it more closely than I did, before sending it off to Optimo.

Graham pointed out some major problems with the hat, worn away area on the crown, a sizeable moth hole on the top of the brim and several others under the brim. Definitely not one for a restoration project that I was anticipating. The other hat was ok, but I didn't think about the effect of the crown being lowered on the resizing.

Graham's honest opinion can be taken to the bank as far as I am concerned. He popped the hats back in the mail to me right away after I decided to forego these two project hats. A real salt of the earth person in my opinion.

RHY

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
RHY said:
Integrity & Honesty - you can expect from OPTIMO Hats and its proprietor, Graham Thompson.

Graham's honest opinion can be taken to the bank as far as I am concerned.

RHY

Agreed. Graham has called me in Tokyo to advise on work done on both my new and reformed hats. A very professional service. :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
He did a remarkable job for me on a very old and fine Montechristi Panama hat. Great communication, guidance and expertise. It was here at The Fedora Lounge that I learned of his operation and I'm glad I knew enough to send that hat to him.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
RHY My Before Photos

Optimo finished a hat Friday afternoon. This hat retailed in Honolulu,T.H.

Balibuntal retailed at McInerny LTD. I should receive it middle of next week. TLH...waiting to see what brown does for me.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great one, CV. You make sure to send me that ribbon if it doesn't work out :D

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carouselvic said:
Balibuntal

never heard of that.

in regards to graham. make sure you specify what exactly it is you want done to a hat. i brought him a peter brothers indy straw for a clean & block to an open crown along with some other hats that were being upsized. when i go to pick all of them up, the milan was upsized, a new ribbon was put on, & it was made into a c-crown. it wouldn't of been as bad if he didnt upsize it. but because he did the hat now has a 2 3/8 brim instead of the 2 3/4 that i liked. i still feel like :eusa_doh: for paying for it.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Buntal – Buntal straw is used in mainly making bags and hats. Its use originated in the early 20th century in Baliuag, Philippines. The buntal straw comes from the largest palm species known as Buri. Known locally as “buntal” is the large petioles of the Buri. Its natural color is a light brown color, but after being pressed in a hat pressing machine and dipped into hat lacquer, its color changes to a beautiful golden-brown color. The buntal fiber can be stripped into very fine straws and the finished hat can fetch a handsome price. It is sought after by a number of hat enthusiasts because of it incredible fineness and grade when produced by experienced weavers and hatters.
Taken from the Panama Canal thread.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
bruce wayne said:
never heard of that.

in regards to graham. make sure you specify what exactly it is you want done to a hat. i brought him a peter brothers indy straw for a clean & block to an open crown along with some other hats that were being upsized. when i go to pick all of them up, the milan was upsized, a new ribbon was put on, & it was made into a c-crown. it wouldn't of been as bad if he didnt upsize it. but because he did the hat now has a 2 3/8 brim instead of the 2 3/4 that i liked. i still feel like :eusa_doh: for paying for it.

I had a somewhat similar experience with a Panama hat where it came out with a smaller and more tapered crown and larger brim. However, I brought it back and he completely reworked it with a larger crown and an extra quick turnaround at no charge and with apologies.

RHY

One of the Regulars
Balibuntal retailed at McInerny LTD

CV,
McInerny was an upscale retailer along the lines between Macy's and Neiman's. It closed about a decade ago and brought in a lot of interesting and unique items from the Far East. Ergo, the Balibuntal hat from the Philippines.
Since your hat was labeled "Honolulu, TH", it was purchased prior to Hawaii's statehood in 1959. TH = Territory of Hawaii.
Thats all I can say about the subject without doing some digging around. Nice find and I hope you enjoy your Optimo refurbishment.

RHY

P.S. Since Graham was such a nice guy, I have some Kona coffee going to him in Monday's mail.

le.gentleman

Familiar Face
Just recently I had the chance to visit Optimo Hats in Chicago and it is a beautiful store. Unfortunately, Graham was not there because they are setting up a new branch downtown Chicago but I talked to Tiffani and she was also a pleasure to talk to.
I wrote more in detail about my visit to Optimo Hats and posted some pictures you might find interesting.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Buntal – Buntal straw is used in mainly making bags and hats. Its use originated in the early 20th century in Baliuag, Philippines. The buntal straw comes from the largest palm species known as Buri. Known locally as “buntal” is the large petioles of the Buri. Its natural color is a light brown color, but after being pressed in a hat pressing machine and dipped into hat lacquer, its color changes to a beautiful golden-brown color. The buntal fiber can be stripped into very fine straws and the finished hat can fetch a handsome price. It is sought after by a number of hat enthusiasts because of it incredible fineness and grade when produced by experienced weavers and hatters.
Taken from the Panama Canal thread.

A year or so ago a lot of Balibuntals and Parabuntal hoods appeared on eBay as fold around hoods inside bamboo tubes. I got one and traded it with Harper Player Gene. He rferes to it above. Have not seen any lately.

RHY

One of the Regulars
Just recently I had the chance to visit Optimo Hats in Chicago and it is a beautiful store. Unfortunately, Graham was not there because they are setting up a new branch downtown Chicago but I talked to Tiffani and she was also a pleasure to talk to.
I wrote more in detail about my visit to Optimo Hats and posted some pictures you might find interesting.
Do you have any information on the address of the new downtown branch? Thanks,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner