Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grammy hat??

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Count me in as one with eclectic interests. Most of us have an interest in hats from the 20's through the 50's because that's when fedora wearing was at it's peak, but that doesn't mean our interests are that narrowly refined. We have members who post very little in the Fedora threads, but have a love of Berets, and others who have a love of Western hats. I own neither but I still read the threads with interest. I love 30's clothes (though being a big chap with small pockets I tend to buy contemporary designers who play on the period such as Nigel Cabourn), but I'm also interested in clothing and fashion from most periods. I own and wear bits by contemporary, European, American and Japanese designers for example. I love a lot of Yohji Yamamoto's work - a contemporary designer who often features hats in his runway shows, and looks great in a fedora himself.

Looking at the pictures, we members post, I think it is obvious, that is not the case. I see fedoras with a lot of modern clothes - even hoodies à la the 80s. Unless I was attending a carnival, I would never dress up in a 1920-1950 costume. I would really feel like in a costume, and I know for sure, that I share that with quite a few members. If the forum really was so restricted, as you obviously think it is, I'm absolutely positive it would be a lot smaller. Fortunately it's not :)

You are arguing a position that is simply not born out by the facts. Look at the threads at the top of the list right now...ascots, fisherman sweaters, waistcoats, vintage Stetsons, Stratoliners, vintage hats in the 1900's, pre-Depression hats...very little on 1980's punk and new wave fashion. Furthermore, if someone posted a picture of this suit:

georgereeves_suit.jpg

And then suggested this hat to go with it:

PBRKNT.jpg

There'd be considerable disagreement. Moreover, while I'm sure there'd be those who say "at least he's wearing a hat", I don't think any regular here would be surprised by the suggestion that the suit/hat combo is not attractive. This crowd very much leans a certain way when it comes to hats, and outrageousness for the sake of outrageousness is generally not it.

winterland1

Practically Family
my grandmother made me one of those fancy beer hats when I was a kid. I wonder who ever came up with that idea? Crazy.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
HudsonHawk: I find it a little funny, that you state as a fact, that I'm "arguing a position that is simply not born out by the facts" - and then try to prove it by dreaming up a completely fictitious and ridiculous example. If you really had a point, based on facts, you had probably brought that forward instead. Let's at least agree, we're lightyears from being in agreement on the phenomenon: "Outrageousness"!

HudsonHawk: I find it a little funny, that you state as a fact, that I'm "arguing a position that is simply not born out by the facts" - and then try to prove it by dreaming up a completely fictitious and ridiculous example. If you really had a point, based on facts, you had probably brought that forward instead. Let's at least agree, we're lightyears from being in agreement on the phenomenon: "Outrageousness"!

My example is exactly that, an example. I've never suggested it was diagnostic of anything. But you still are missing the overall point. You're arguing that it's surprising that someone on the FL would suggest that Grammy guy's hat and track suit combo is not a good look. I'm arguing that the bulk of fashion conversation on this sites suggests it should not surprise you at all.

Edward

Bartender
Guilty as charged :)

Heh. Me too. Togi bear or really old-fashioned pictures of Scouts.... that said, in recent years, I think of it as the hat the drill sergeant wore in Full Metal Jacket, though on civvy street I'd be hard-pressed to take him seriously.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
You're arguing that it's surprising that someone on the FL would suggest that Grammy guy's hat and track suit combo is not a good look. I'm arguing that the bulk of fashion conversation on this sites suggests it should not surprise you at all.

Why on Earth do you argue that ...?!??!!! I have never been even close to mention, that "it's surprising that someone on the FL would suggest that Grammy guy's hat and track suit combo is not a good look". That is something, you obviously wish I had written ... but I never did. Surprised is the one thing, I'm not!

ManofKent

My example is exactly that, an example. I've never suggested it was diagnostic of anything. But you still are missing the overall point. You're arguing that it's surprising that someone on the FL would suggest that Grammy guy's hat and track suit combo is not a good look. I'm arguing that the bulk of fashion conversation on this sites suggests it should not surprise you at all.

I agree that the less used forums are predominantly vintage based, but that doesn't imply in anyway that the majority of users have no interests beyond those, surely?
a lot of members only visit the hats forum. Personally I visit some of the others occasionally, but (and I can only guess) that most users of the hat forum have interests that are broader than what this site provides.

Heh. Me too. Togi bear or really old-fashioned pictures of Scouts.... that said, in recent years, I think of it as the hat the drill sergeant wore in Full Metal Jacket, though on civvy street I'd be hard-pressed to take him seriously.

If my hat looked like that when I was a Drill Sgt in the US Army..my trainees wouldn't have been able to march a step from laughing hysterically.
HD

I agree that the less used forums are predominantly vintage based, but that doesn't imply in anyway that the majority of users have no interests beyond those, surely?

I never said that. I've only argued that it shouldn't be surprising, given the themes that run through the various sections here, that some would not embrace the track suit/beat up campaign hat look.

Why on Earth do you argue that ...?!??!!!

Because that's what was put forth at the beginning of the discussion. I'm countering that assertion.

I have never been even close to mention, that "it's surprising that someone on the FL would suggest that Grammy guy's hat and track suit combo is not a good look". That is something, you obviously wish I had written ... but I never did. Surprised is the one thing, I'm not!

I never said you did. I'm responding to your questions about what types of fashions are generally discussed here. The part about irony and expectations didn't come from you.

ManofKent

Hudson Hawk - for what it's worth, I don't think the hat works with the tracksuit top. Where we might disagree is that I think the hat works well with the original buffalo girl collection, and that the buffalo girl collection was an interesting and intelligent design.

Edward

Bartender
I agree that it looks a bit jarring with the rest of his ensemble, though if you look at Talcy Malcy's video, God rest his soul, a number of the men in the video are dressed identically to this. Seems the tribute went further than just the hat.

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
There could be a name given to that hat. However, "target practice" comes into mind in second place. I am sure not everyone is going to like that hat, and not to offend anyone that likes that hat, if my Husband owned that hat, it would be like magic, "puff"....gone. I would toss it out when no one is looking.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Hudson Hawk - for what it's worth, I don't think the hat works with the tracksuit top. Where we might disagree is that I think the hat works well with the original buffalo girl collection, and that the buffalo girl collection was an interesting and intelligent design.

Just thinking of that red jacket with that hat hurts the inner machinations of my mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda