Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grandfather's Krysler watch HELP

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Please enjoy the pictures of my late grandfathers watch. Made by Krysler. I found no diffinetive search results for the company on google. The watch is a mechanical movement. It does not run. It looks old school. I plan to have it cleaned, polished, and repaired. Does anyone recommend a good jeweler. If not I plan to take it to a local jeweler. He has repaired a few watches for me in the past, but nothing this old.
I think it is old. Can anyone date it? The face opens up like a pocket watch, the movement can be removed. The Krysler name is found on the inside of the case. I found it in my grandfathers house with a few other watches. Most of them Timexs. There was a Sterling that still runs. It needs to be cleaned also.
John
010.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

Talbot

One Too Many
Nice unit. I like it a lot. I haven't seen that hinged case style before.

Oil gums up in mechanical watches after a period of time and they stop working. Usually a service is all that is required.

A pic of the movement might help in dating it, and getting a feel for its condition and whether significant repairs may be in order etc.

Do you know what the case is made from? If it is plated you might rub through if the polishing is too vigourous. I usually just use some Brasso on the case with a bit of TLC (and the movement removed).

Brasso is good for the crystal as well, though this one looks to be in pretty good condition. You may want to replace it for one that is not discolored, but this one has character as it is, so its purely a personal choice.

Thanks for sharing and don't forget to show us the completed job!

T

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Talbot,
Here is an inside shot of the movement. I thought about leaving the crystal alone, however I think I will have it replaced. No markings on the outside of the case. It is interesting to note that on the inside of the case below and to the left there is an etching in free hand that states TC 2/2. It does not appear on the pic because of the sun spot.
019.jpg

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

the movement doesn't have a shock protection therefore I would date it between '38 and '47. It's a nice watch but the movement does have a surprisingly low jewel rate. Looks like only the escapement is jewelled. The gear train has just plain metal sleeve bearings. The standard jewel rate would be around 13 to 17 for a handwinding movement vs. 6 jewels on your watch. The balance also looks quite clumsy.
Have it restored if you really like the watch but don't pay too much for an overhaul as this never was an expensive watch in the first place.
That Stirling should have a much better movement inside. Any chance of a pic?

Talbot

One Too Many
Talbot,
Here is an inside shot of the movement. I thought about leaving the crystal alone, however I think I will have it replaced. No markings on the outside of the case. It is interesting to note that on the inside of the case below and to the left there is an etching in free hand that states TC 2/2. It does not appear on the pic because of the sun spot.

Often repairers would inscribe a small mark on the inside of the case when they had repaired or serviced a unit. This was usually the jewellers own code and was for internal record keeping.

I can remember taking an old watch to an jeweller a long time ago. He was amazed to see he had repaired it 20 years earlier! Sadly he has retired and I use someone else now.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
The watch is being looked at now. I should be able to take a pic of the Stirling. I think the back either unscrews or pops off. Thanks for the input guys.

John

JanSolo

Practically Family
Hi,

I mainly collect and restore watches. But only as a hobby! See that the Stirling features a much higher grade movement? Sunburst finish on the winding wheels, (almost) a three-quarter plate, shock protection for the balance (that lyra shaped golden spring that's centered above the balance shaft), higher jewel rate etc...
You should get THAT one cleaned and lubed.
The case shows some pitting but it doesn't look too bad! Go on...breathe some life into it!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Thanks Jan. Very nice hobby you have. I would like to have the Stirling refinished. The back is stainless, however the body is plated and is pitted, peeling. How to remove the wind knob/shaft so I can remove the movement? I found very little on the Stirling watch. Google went straight to Sterling. The Stirling looks to be from the 40's? Maybe newer.

Thanks
John

JanSolo

Practically Family
How to remove the wind knob/shaft so I can remove the movement?

Have a look at the movement:

003-1.jpg

You need to loosen the tiny slot screw which is located roughly at "12:03" (in the picture), close to the aperture for the stem. Make sure that you DO NOT unscrew it. Just loosen it until the crown assembly (i. e. stem and crown) can be removed without force. You'll need a proper screwdriver for it. Make sure it's a proper fit otherwise you'll mess up the screw head.

Have a watchmaker remove and polish /or replace the crystal. An acrylic replacement is cheap and will improve the overall look of the watch.
The dial and hands should also be slightly cleaned although the pitting is permanent.
The case should be ultra-sonic cleaned. After that you can decide if you want to leave it as it is or if you prefer a renewed chrome plating. This is a fairly easy and cheap job: Gentle bead blasting and then galvanizing.
I'm sure you'll find plenty of places near to you which specialize in chrome plating, anodizing, powder coating etc. Someone will help! And the charge will be only a couple of dollars...

The watch looks like it's from the early 50s to early 60s...What's the diameter without crown?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Hi Jan,
I do not have the watch with me now (at work), but will get you a measurement tonight. It is a small watch. Roughly the size of an A-17A that I had a years ago.
The Krysler is getting a cleaning,lube and new crystal. All for under 90.00 US. I think that is resonable. The jeweler was able to get the fool thing working again with a new spring thrown in for the cost of the cleaning etc.
Will post pics of both when done. I am looking forward to seeing the Krysler all polished and ticking.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn