Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great BBC series re food and lifestyle - Edwardian, 1920s, Wartime, 1950s etc

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
swinggal said:
I know!! Very Jeeves and Wooster.

On first sight, it was Poirot & Whitehaven Mansions, a'la David Suchet...

469869450_03aa19f16e.jpg

...that first came to mind. The same curving style with the large windows and the brickwork...very art-deco'y.

retroladybird

New in Town

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
As long as you accept this as a piece of entertainment, makes me laugh how the Living history community tore it to shreds!

They are just the funniest pairing on TV. I loved it!

LordBest

Practically Family
I found Sue Perkins insufferable in the pilot episode (Edwardian) but she rapidly improved and now I rather like her.

I'm a Living History chap myself, and I don't have a problem with the show as it is lighthearted. Were it a documentary it would be another matter. Actually I know a bit about Roman and Medieval cuisine and found it those episodes quite accurate on the whole, though they do select dishes for maximum shock value.

Traditional British cuisine is marvellous, it was only thanks to rationing it declined. Plum pudding, pies and beefsteak spring to mind.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LordBest said:
Traditional British cuisine is marvellous, it was only thanks to rationing it declined. Plum pudding, pies and beefsteak spring to mind.

There is a pub near my house that serves warm eccles cakes - properly made with lard - with Wensleydale cheese as a dessert. I almost cried the first time I had it, it was so damn good! With a Rutherglen liqueur muscat it's pretty close to heaven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran