Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Flying Panamas...!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Well...my cheapo Cuenca flew away on its thirrd outing.
Taking a stroll down at the harbour, the Cuenca lifted off my head in a sudden gust and went in the sea... maybe it was meant to be...
...gone but not forgotten- boo hoo...
I don't know if it attracted any girls but when it hit the water, it certainly attracted a lot of gulls.
Anyway, no great loss.
...maybe a better one is on the cards in the near future.

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Insert Favored Curse Word...

Still, cheap or not, it WAS a nifty hat. That's stinky.

I have to say that I am thinking of your hat being sported by a now-swell grouper. Think "The Incredible Mr. Limpet."
:rolleyes:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Sleepin wit da fishes...

...never mind, it was very cheap and nothing to scream about.
Maybe it'll get washed up on a tropical island and serve someone well...
...but maybe there aren't any tropical islands in the Baltic...
And yes, it probably is getting stinky as we speak-

B
T

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shared pain

My favorite 1940s panama flew off my head and under some moving cars
about 7 years ago and I'm still feeling the pain. I still have it, intending to
use it while gardening, but it makes me depressed to open the box, so
there it sits, in its little round coffin in the closet. It was a nice piece
of weaving.

Which is why you will never see me looking at four and five figure
panamas at Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco. A panama that nice
is too much for me to risk... Okay, the other reason is that I don't
have that much to spend on a hat to begin with.

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
feltfan said:
Which is why you will never see me looking at four and five figure
panamas at Paul's Hat Works in San Francisco. A panama that nice
is too much for me to risk... Okay, the other reason is that I don't
have that much to spend on a hat to begin with.

Felt Fan, You don't have to. Panama Bob sells them for about 1/2 or less what you can find at Paul's Hat Works.

KC

android

One of the Regulars
I lost my tombstone hat on the ferry in Puget Sound. I'm sitting inside, minding my own business when some stupid kid opens an emergency exit. The place turned into a wind tunnel and my hat went out the door and into the Sound. I wanted to toss the kid in after it, but my wife wouldn't let me.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My friend almost lost her straw hat (not an expensive panama, but a decent hat) when it flew out the back window of her Honda while we were driving through the desert.

I told her to stop, she did, and I went out, down a small ravine, to get the thing. That was some years ago, I could probably not do that today.

Like some of you, I am fearful of getting those lovely panamas. They look and feel so nice, but boy, you have to be careful with those things. The smallest mishap and you have a beautiful panama with a hole in it.

karol

android said:
I lost my tombstone hat on the ferry in Puget Sound. I'm sitting inside, minding my own business when some stupid kid opens an emergency exit. The place turned into a wind tunnel and my hat went out the door and into the Sound. I wanted to toss the kid in after it, but my wife wouldn't let me.

That kid would have either learned to fly or swim real fast to get my hat if that was me.
I would have had to compete with my wife to figure out would have thrown him in first. :p

Regards to all,

J

Richard

Familiar Face
is a hatband

suposed to hold a hat to your head. are some hatbands adjustable to tighten, like a belt?

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Richard said:
suposed to hold a hat to your head. are some hatbands adjustable to tighten, like a belt?

If a hat is properly fitted it should stay on in quite high winds (35mph or so). Most of the folks I see today wear hats about a size larger than would be a proper fit. It should be above the ears (about an inch) when worn normally, but large enough to pull down to the ears and fit very snugly without causing a headache when it is windy. Admitedly the type of sweatband influences the hold, the shiny smooth ones don't do as well. Most of my few hats hold well in 35mph winds and even an occasional 50mph gust (very common here in the mountains). Above that you need to hold them on, and a trolley string is handy in blustery weather, if you have somewhere to fasten it.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have two straw hats at present.

One is a cowboy hat I got in Houston, Texas at the Hat Store. It is in the "Old West" style high rounded crown (like my Gus hat). Paid a good price for it a decade or so ago. It says inside, "Para Panama" and "American Hat Company, Hoston Texas." As it is western, it lends itself quite easily to a stampede strap. Mine is made from braided horse hair.

I also have a Village Hat Shop straw fedora, which looks and feels OK. It was made in the USA, so I don't know much about it. I did put a lighter colored pugaree over the black band as I prefer them to be closer to the color of the hat. (Would have taken the band off but found it was glued to the hat!) My guess is that I would want a wind trolley on it as I think a stampede or hurricane strap would look a bit dorky on a fedora.

Of course, the latter are easier to find here than wind trolleys. Hat Works might have them and maybe I should check. I am going to be traveling about and don't want my straw fedora to go cascading off a cliff and into the wild blue.

karol

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner