Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great songs remade

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Colin James and His Little Big Band, especially our Canadian Loungers! Colin James hails from Canada, and has put out 3 wonderful big band type albums. The first one came out in 1993, and the next one in 1998. The second one is my favorite, and he does some fantastic covers like "Jumpin From Six to Six" by Jimmy Wilson and his All Stars and "Let's Shout" by Jackie Wilson. The entire album JUMPS! And he just put out another on last October that I just found out about, where he covers "Reet Petite". I am DYING to get that one! Check him out at www.colinjames.com.

And Dave-I have to agree with you, for the most part, even though Wayne Hancock really is carrying on the Western Swing tradition. I have loved Asleep At The Wheel since I was a kid!

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
kamikat said:
I'm not much into the crooner stuff, but there are a few good remakes out there. I love Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's version of Minnie the Moocher and Brian Sezter's Mack the Knife. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy's original stuff really swings. They've done a good job of giving swing a modern feel. Brian Setzer is more rockabilly than swing.
I have to admit, Brian Setzer Orchestra's remakes of his old Stray Cats tunes are pretty amazing. Setzer has really developed a great, unique big band style.

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
Rafter said:
I thought I would put a spin on this thread by reversing PenCollectors question.
What do I think of yesterday's artists that remake some of the new classics?

Enough said, I'm talking about Paul Anka's 2005 album, "Rock Swings".
Anka takes hits from the 80's and adds a swing arrangement to give them a completely different, and fresh new sound. Songs like "Jump" by Van Halen, "Smells like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, "Wonderwall" by Oasis.

This is the kind of album you can't simply hear about, you MUST actually hear it to appreciate it.

Sonically amazing, musically impeccable, vocally superb, this album swings hard from start to finish. Crank it loud on a great stereo. Crank it loud in your car with the windows open and the top down. This is fun music, this is music to drink cocktails to, this is a seriously fun album that seriously swings hard!

99cba37143674bbe8d941f5377aacfe3.jpg

I've gotta second Rafter here. If someone can make a Nirvana song sound good, he's doing a lot.

I

Ian Dundrillon

The Chenille Sisters: Whatcha Gonna Swing Tonight? (1993): Sentimental Journey, Goody Goody, Rum and Coca Cola, Nagasaki,others.

Manhattan Rhythm Kings: Hooray for Spinach (1996): Lullabyof Broadway, I Got a Gal in Kalamazoo, Jeepers Creepers, 42 Street, others.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
Sometimes I don't understand what people mean by the 'original.' Some struggling artist may have written and recorded a song in the 1930s and it flopped, but when a big band star performed the same song later and it became a huge hit then people consider that to be the original. That's has happened quite a bit in the past.

Yup! Albeit more modern, I'm walking proof of that. I thought Dwight Yoakam's version of Suspicious Minds was the original, until a few years later when I heard it done by Elvis a few decades earlier. Yet I have no idea if even his version is the "original". Personally, I still prefer Dwight's.

And I have yet to find a version of Makin' Whoopie that I don't like; Eddie Cantor, Harry Nilsson, Ricki Lee Jones and Dr. John, The Cookie Monster, et. al.

Lee

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
A pleasant surprise!

I am not a great fan of remakes, but i had to buy these CDs ( "The Great American Song Book, by Rod Stewart) and in my opinion they are excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pcb8uBZvJ4&feature=related

Pen Collector said:
I am always looking for CD's like these. I know that I can buy these songs by the original artist but sometimes I like to hear other singers do their version of the classics. Do any of you know of other CD's like these that are good?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like it when artists completely remake a song and turn it into something entirely different.

Michael Gira and Jarboe from the 1980s (and later) NY industrial combo The Swans, some of the ugliest music you will ever hear, did a side project called World of Skin in which Jarboe sang a quiet, mysterious "The Man I Love" in the ghostliest way imaginable. Chills up the spine. Her version is very close to my heart.

She also sang, on that album, "Cry Me A River," also a spectral version, the sort of thing you imagine on the soundtrack to a movie like "The Others" (or whatever that excellent Nicole Kidman ghost movie was called).

The Puppini Sisters do a Andrews Sisters-type remake of Blondie's "Heart of Glass," very brilliant and lovely, pure fun.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Retro Grouch said:
Sid Vicious sings Frank Sinatra's "My Way". :eek: LOL

Personally, I'm not a fan of artists remaking the classics. Seems they never achieve the same quality level as the original. As far as crooners go, I think Harry Connick Jr. does a good job.

Just my humble opinion.
Tom

As a matter of fact, I think Sid Vicious version is good!!! Even better than so many others who've tried with that classic.

Dixon Cannon

RedHotRidinHood said:
I am surprised that nobody has mentioned Colin James and His Little Big Band, especially our Canadian Loungers! Colin James hails from Canada, and has put out 3 wonderful big band type albums. The first one came out in 1993, and the next one in 1998. The second one is my favorite, and he does some fantastic covers like "Jumpin From Six to Six" by Jimmy Wilson and his All Stars and "Let's Shout" by Jackie Wilson. The entire album JUMPS! And he just put out another on last October that I just found out about, where he covers "Reet Petite". I am DYING to get that one! Check him out at www.colinjames.com.

And Dave-I have to agree with you, for the most part, even though Wayne Hancock really is carrying on the Western Swing tradition. I have loved Asleep At The Wheel since I was a kid!

I actually met Colin James in an elevator at the River Rocks Resort in Vancouver. He was playing along with Burton Cummings and several other Canadian acts for a benefit. He was surprised that some Yank knew who he was! 'Freedom' is the greatest!

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Also, the entire soundtrack from the film 'Duets'. Who knew Gwyneth Paltrow was such a great singer!? Oh, and the soundtrack from the film, 'Little Voice' with all those great tunes sung by Jane Horrocks. Very nice!

-dixon cannon

TheLimey

Familiar Face
I really enjoyed "Superhits I " by Max Raabe & the Palast Ochestra.
He's put a twist on the whole remaking of songs, by taking modern songs and giving them a retro touch.
The Superhits 2 wasn't quite as good, the main problem for me being that I simply don't like the original songs he chose to cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails