Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Times?

monocle

New in Town
Okay I am 56, not a spring chicken, but not an old crow either! I have a Mystery Book in the works, Set in the 40's, Actually 1940. But the story bounces back and forth from early childhood (20's) then back to 40's as present day. It is a detective book involving contra-band Liqueur and Gangsters, both well and lesser known! Though fictional it has deep roots in actual events of the time, mainly my gradfather's history as he worked as an Iron Worker on the Empire State Building NYC, City Hall Cleavland OH, and many other lesser known structures like the Quebec Bridge spanning the St. Lawrence River in QC Canada plus He was a rum-runner who knew many underworld characters from Albany and NYC to Montreal! I have the general plot & story line down, but some dates and events to justify the story are lacking. Is there someone out in Fedora Lounge who can direct me to locations for research? Mostly I am stuck with Hi-way routes before the Interstate was built! Any help here please!
Francis

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Didn't all the "US Route" like US 50 and US 15 exist then? One way is to get old maps. Occasionally I come across road atlases or state maps from circa 1940,41

Matt

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Didn't all the "US Route" like US 50 and US 15 exist then? One way is to get old maps. Occasionally I come across road atlases or state maps from circa 1940,41

Matt

monocle

New in Town
Route #9 from Rouses Point was a popular road, and it stretched right into NYC. My story has the main character in most of the northeastern US states and these roads are not well known to me! This is good advice guys Especially the links! Thanks a Million!
Francis

My parents once took Route 9 from just above NYC up to Plattsburgh with me in the back seat of a Datsun B210. Great ride very scenic but I was claustrophobic from the confines of that car.

In some areas there are several Route 9's. I think that there are sections where one goes through town while another is the truck route that bypasses the town and the traffic. I am not sure as to when all of these bypasses were built, chances are the ones through town are the oldest sections.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR